Author Topic: When to Begin  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
When to Begin
« on: July 13, 2020, 09:39:49 AM »
To be clear, I did take several hours off last not and didn't think about D&D planning.  It was relaxing and peaceful.

But I'm back now and looking to the future.  I set the marker at ten years, 801AC as the earliest.  However, there is no requirement that we start there.  If anyone wants to make the case or is interested in a somewhat longer jump (based on the results of the SNAP, hundreds of years is out), post you comments and we can discuss.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: When to Begin
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
I would love to start as late in the future as possible.  Mostly to have a clear break from what we are doing now to post-snap.  I don't think 10 years is quite enough to make that clear break.  I am sure there are hundreds of in-game reasons that we can use to justify having it go longer or even shorter then the 10 years so to me this is more of a metagame decision (although I do see you put a cap on it based on the results of yesterday) that can be justified by in-game reason.  I would love to see at least 50 but anywhere from 25-100 would be great to me. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:36:57 AM by Windblade »

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 10:52:20 AM »
I would love to start as late in the future as possible.  Mostly to have a clear break from what we are doing now to post-snap.  I don't think 10 years is quite enough to make that clear break.  I am sure there are hundreds of in-game reasons that we can use to justify having it go longer or even shorter then the 10 years so to me this is more of a metagame decision (although I do see you put a cap on it based on the results of yesterday) that can be justified by in-game reason.  I would love to see at least 50 but anywhere from 25-100 would be great to me.
I agree.  I think starting around 850-875 sounds about right so that the next era ends around 900.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 11:23:43 AM »
I will respectfully take the opposite position. I think jumping right to near the end of the war and having our characters have some influence on its outcome would be a good way to start. I have no interest in a completely clean slate as a player and especially as a DM.  I realize you guys have played consistently over the last five years and I have not been able to so understandably you may feel that many of your characters have reached a good stopping point but having new characters in an era where the old characters may pop up from time to time is a lot of fun. In 2.0 Habololy we went through that process a couple of times leading to some memorable and ultimately epic conclusions.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 11:54:55 AM »
Yes, I agree that Habololy 2.0 was great for some of those reasons.   I just want to make sure the majority of our playing time is with new PCs

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
I also agree that having our current characters around is fun.  That's why I suggested roughly 850 or so.  Most of my characters who were of any significance would still be alive and could pop up in cameos from time to time as mentors.  The truth is that no matter what time period we play in, I'll be more than happy to be a part of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:46:34 PM by Malchia »

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 02:57:39 PM »
I would like to see some cameos of our current characters.  I say start 30-50 years after the end of the Iott war (or as Parker refers to it, the Idiott War)

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »
Either way I'm ok.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
Either way I'm ok.
I like the idea of 20-30 yrs - enough time for a new generation to get involved, but also not so much time that current characters are gone.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
I like the idea of 20-30 yrs - enough time for a new generation to get involved, but also not so much time that current characters are gone.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 03:49:57 PM »
I think 27.5833 years is most appropriate.  I really think the 7 months after the 27 years is most important. ;)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »
I am taking these into consideration and looking at the characters stories to determine a best amount of time.  The range will be within the stated ones 10 to 100 years and as I begin to narrow it down, I will let you know.  It will take me a month or more to make the determination.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 11:17:40 PM »
Random thought. The post-snap era might be a good time to transition over to the new Habololy psionics system.

I’ve got a couple ideas for characters if we get the concept built out.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »
Random thought. The post-snap era might be a good time to transition over to the new Habololy psionics system.

YES!

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 03:13:33 PM »

That is one of the main idea for my characters as well.  DM and I started working on it but then stopped.