I don't care one way or the other
0 (0%)
I want to switch unless the new rules are worse than the current ones
2 (22.2%)
I want to switch
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: July 17, 2014, 05:04:15 PM

Author Topic: New D&D  (Read 21612 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: New D&D
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
I have pre ordered the books.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 11:24:50 PM »
Depending on the scale of the changes made would determine whether we would need a reboot to the future or not.

Small scale mechanical changes (such as from 3.0 to 3.5) would not require a future jump just some retooling.

Any larger changes would require the same sort of thing that occurred from 2nd to 3rd edition.

Which of those methods would be needed based on the changes will be clear once the PHB comes out.  What has been released so far is the four basic classes.  Of those four, wizard is the most problematic.  The 5th edition wizard gets both prepared and spontaneous spells, which seems to indicate there will not be a sorcerer class, but we will have to wait and see.  That is the type of thing that would break our current setting and would require a re-boot.

Nothing in the races, skills, or spells rises to that level from what I have read; nor anything from the other basic classes.

Key other parts I am waiting to see are: which other classes are basic and what is the role of prestige classes.

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
Has anyone pre-ordered the new books?

I have preordered them all

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 07:20:32 AM »
So based on the above conversation, I need to qualify my vote. I am for the switch as long as the new rules are a significant improvement and it does not require a campaign reboot.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »
Still waiting on that one last vote, I assume it is Master Po, but the majority appears clear:  We will only switch if the rules are a significant improvement that does not require a jump ahead/reboot.

That said, we will await a review of the PHB to decide.  Thank you all for responding, and Master Po, feel free to chime in as well.

Offline master po

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  I don't have many active characters now but the ones I do have I reaaly like.  Not sure what would happen to them but would hate to have to start over completely.  I barely know the rules we have.

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »
Here is a somewhat short summary of 5e if anyone is interested and hasn't been paying attention.

CHARACTER CREATION

- It is a traditional class-based system, with the important addition of subclasses (exact name varies for each class) as a tool to create significantly different characters of the same class. Your class determines your general features and a large number of benefits at different levels. A subclass is something you choose at a level between 1st and 3rd (depends on the class) and determines a series of specific features/benefits at various levels later on. All classes have no "dead levels": if you don't get a class benefit or subclass benefit at a certain level, then you get the choice of either an ability score boost or a feat.

- The second-most important character choice is your background. This is the main delivery method for skills proficiencies. Essentially, by encapsulating most of your PC's skills, backgrounds make your (overall) skill choices indipendent from class.

- Races follow the tradition of one-time packages of bonuses, but many of them need to also choose a subrace.

- Proficiencies follow a new unified approach that covers weapons, armors, skills, tools, languages and saving throws using the same rules. You are either proficient in something or not. If you are proficient, you apply your proficiency bonus to all applicable rolls (armor and languages don't require roll, and work differently). The key point is that the proficiency bonus is always the same for all your proficiencies, and depends only on your total character level but does not depend on your class.

- Alignment has largely no mechanical consequences.

- Feats are as large as 2-3 feats of previous editions, but otherwise are still simple additions to represent any kind of extra character feature. Feats can be used to control the complexity of your PC, since some of them grant one simple passive but large benefit, while others may grant multiple benefits, situational benefits, proactive abilities and even a complete subsystem (e.g. fighting maneuvers). Furthermore, you are never required to take feats, and can take ability score bumps instead. This new feats system is mostly motivated by the purpose of allowing simple and complex PC coexist at the same table, leaving the choice to each player, but being balanced against each other.

- Multiclassing largely follows the 3e level-based mechanic, but the major difference is that spellcasting classes get their spell slots "merged", i.e. a multiclass spellcaster uses the same spells per day table (there is only one table for all full spellcasting classes anyway) and can use it to cast spells from either class.

PLAYING THE GAME

- Bounded Accuracy is the general concept of keeping number inflation limited, when it comes to bonuses to d20 rolls (including attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks etc.). The difference between two characters (or between the same character at 1st and 20th level) in terms of those bonuses is much lower than in the previous 2 editions of the game. Reducing the differences was done mainly to increase the level range at which the same monsters or challenges can be used, and to reduce situations where the difference between the best and worst characters means a challenge is insta-win for some and insta-lose for others.

- There is a turn-based system of exploration rules, so that during dungeon/wilderness explorations you can assign tasks to each PC, and put all checks into a time frame.

- There is a system of interaction rules based on defining character attitudes/motivations/etc. to handle conversations with NPC without putting too much stakes on single dice rolls.

- Advantage/disadvantage is the common rule for handling favorable/unfavorable situation, and it means "roll twice and take the best/worst". Bonuses to rolls are much less common than in previous editions, to largely reduce the number of calculations needed during the game.

COMBAT

- Very light action economy. One action and one move. Everything significant (attack, spell, using an item) takes your action, minor things are free (e.g. changing weapons).

- Movement in combat is very loose. Essentially you are free to split your max moved distance the way you want. There are still "opportunity attacks" but limited only to prevent running away from or past the enemies with impunity. There are no penalties for casting spells or using ranged weapons in melee.

MAGIC

- Spellcasting rules are not vancian anymore. Casters normally have a chart of daily slots based on spells level, but instead prepare spells indipendently on that chart. You simply prepare a total number of spells (depending on your class level) of any level you can cast. You choose which one to cast on the fly, and it will "use up" an appropriate daily slot.

- Cantrips are at-will. Some spells can be cast as Rituals which also means at-will but take a longer time to cast (hence, not in combat).

- Everyone can cast spells in armor, but only if you are proficient with such armor (no difference between arcane and divine casters here).

- A lot of buffing spells require concentration which doesn't prevent any other action, but simply means that casting another spell also requiring concetration will make the previous spell ends. This is to largely prevent stacking buffs.

- On the other hand, all spells effects and magic items effects stack (except presumably with themselves).

- There is no assumption on the equipment value a character should have at any level. Hence magic items are not assumed, and could in theory be freely decided by each gaming group.

- Polymorph, wildshape and similar spells generally work by completely superseding the target's stats, and disappear after a certain amount of damage is taken (in a sense working like temporary hit points).

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:04:08 PM by Terrorshard »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »
Some of my thoughts in red:

CHARACTER CREATION

- It is a traditional class-based system, with the important addition of subclasses (exact name varies for each class) as a tool to create significantly different characters of the same class. Your class determines your general features and a large number of benefits at different levels. A subclass is something you choose at a level between 1st and 3rd (depends on the class) and determines a series of specific features/benefits at various levels later on. All classes have no "dead levels": if you don't get a class benefit or subclass benefit at a certain level, then you get the choice of either an ability score boost or a feat.

- The second-most important character choice is your background. This is the main delivery method for skills proficiencies. Essentially, by encapsulating most of your PC's skills, backgrounds make your (overall) skill choices independent from class.  This is fine, but would probably require a ton of work

- Races follow the tradition of one-time packages of bonuses, but many of them need to also choose a subrace.

- Proficiencies follow a new unified approach that covers weapons, armors, skills, tools, languages and saving throws using the same rules. You are either proficient in something or not. If you are proficient, you apply your proficiency bonus to all applicable rolls (armor and languages don't require roll, and work differently). The key point is that the proficiency bonus is always the same for all your proficiencies, and depends only on your total character level but does not depend on your class.

- Alignment has largely no mechanical consequences.

- Feats are as large as 2-3 feats of previous editions, but otherwise are still simple additions to represent any kind of extra character feature. Feats can be used to control the complexity of your PC, since some of them grant one simple passive but large benefit, while others may grant multiple benefits, situational benefits, proactive abilities and even a complete subsystem (e.g. fighting maneuvers). Furthermore, you are never required to take feats, and can take ability score bumps instead. This new feats system is mostly motivated by the purpose of allowing simple and complex PC coexist at the same table, leaving the choice to each player, but being balanced against each other.

- Multiclassing largely follows the 3e level-based mechanic, but the major difference is that spellcasting classes get their spell slots "merged", i.e. a multiclass spellcaster uses the same spells per day table (there is only one table for all full spellcasting classes anyway) and can use it to cast spells from either class.  This is good and leads me to believe it can be changed without much issue for us

PLAYING THE GAME

- Bounded Accuracy is the general concept of keeping number inflation limited, when it comes to bonuses to d20 rolls (including attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks etc.). The difference between two characters (or between the same character at 1st and 20th level) in terms of those bonuses is much lower than in the previous 2 editions of the game. Reducing the differences was done mainly to increase the level range at which the same monsters or challenges can be used, and to reduce situations where the difference between the best and worst characters means a challenge is insta-win for some and insta-lose for others.

- There is a turn-based system of exploration rules, so that during dungeon/wilderness explorations you can assign tasks to each PC, and put all checks into a time frame.

- There is a system of interaction rules based on defining character attitudes/motivations/etc. to handle conversations with NPC without putting too much stakes on single dice rolls.

- Advantage/disadvantage is the common rule for handling favorable/unfavorable situation, and it means "roll twice and take the best/worst". Bonuses to rolls are much less common than in previous editions, to largely reduce the number of calculations needed during the game.

COMBAT

- Very light action economy. One action and one move. Everything significant (attack, spell, using an item) takes your action, minor things are free (e.g. changing weapons).

- Movement in combat is very loose. Essentially you are free to split your max moved distance the way you want. There are still "opportunity attacks" but limited only to prevent running away from or past the enemies with impunity. There are no penalties for casting spells or using ranged weapons in melee.

MAGIC

- Spellcasting rules are not vancian anymore. Casters normally have a chart of daily slots based on spells level, but instead prepare spells indipendently on that chart. You simply prepare a total number of spells (depending on your class level) of any level you can cast. You choose which one to cast on the fly, and it will "use up" an appropriate daily slot. This is almost a deal-breaker, getting rid of vancian system is a drastic change

- Cantrips are at-will. Some spells can be cast as Rituals which also means at-will but take a longer time to cast (hence, not in combat).

- Everyone can cast spells in armor, but only if you are proficient with such armor (no difference between arcane and divine casters here).

- A lot of buffing spells require concentration which doesn't prevent any other action, but simply means that casting another spell also requiring concetration will make the previous spell ends. This is to largely prevent stacking buffs.

- On the other hand, all spells effects and magic items effects stack (except presumably with themselves).

- There is no assumption on the equipment value a character should have at any level. Hence magic items are not assumed, and could in theory be freely decided by each gaming group.  This is how I run the game anyway

- Polymorph, wildshape and similar spells generally work by completely superseding the target's stats, and disappear after a certain amount of damage is taken (in a sense working like temporary hit points).  I like this and maybe we incorporate similar rules regardless of whether we switch

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »
I would like to commend everyone on the speed with which we completed that poll....5xp to a character of your choice.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »
A note that again in this edition, gnomes are not a basic race....but tieflings and dragonborn are.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 09:08:24 PM »
It appears as if there are now six saving throws, one for each ability score.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »
Here is the official list of classes in the new edition:

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Sorcerer, Wizard, Rogue

Here is the article: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140728

In addition, here is the bard from the new PHB: http://www.d20monkey.com/2014/07/28/the-bard/

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »
Additionally, they have release the complete list of races in the PHB:

Dwarf, Tiefling, Elf, Halfling, Human, Dragonborn, Gnome, Half-Orc, Half-Elf

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
Here is the official list of classes in the new edition:

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Sorcerer, Wizard, Rogue

Here is the article: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140728

In addition, here is the bard from the new PHB: http://www.d20monkey.com/2014/07/28/the-bard/
I thought there weren't supposed to be any "dead" levels?  7th and 11th levels are empty, but overall a nice improvement.  I'm glad to see that Bards now have access to 9th level spells. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »