Author Topic: Stick a Stake in Him, He's Done  (Read 8403 times)

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: Stick a Stake in Him, He's Done
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
Vigil Gnevrpoor

Best...Gnome name...ever...

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »
Thank you.

Grim Holdings also serves as the delivery center of documents that need to be sent to other towns and cities.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »
A note for those not from Grimhold:

For Harris and Tuco, the level of integrated and smoothly operating technology is impressive.  It goes against the ideas that you have heard that this much technology is dangerous and bound to explode.  In your weeks here, you notions of what this would be like are certainly altered.

For Sly and Finn, Grimhold operates better than other places on the plateau you are used to and it makes you wonder what it different here that makes things work better.

For Harrick, you wonder why they bother with all this tech, when they could just use undead to do everything.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »

Harrick gets it.. its convenience.. just like not having to walk if you don't want to.  Technology is a tool, so are the undead.  Though, undead are cheaper to make, don't blow up unless directed.  People just need to get over their fears....
I would fear a mugger with technology more then I would fear a goodly controlled undead.
  Just think about it.. two skeletal horses could plow a field night and day.. with no food, no poo, and no complaining.

A note for those not from Grimhold:

For Harris and Tuco, the level of integrated and smoothly operating technology is impressive.  It goes against the ideas that you have heard that this much technology is dangerous and bound to explode.  In your weeks here, you notions of what this would be like are certainly altered.

For Sly and Finn, Grimhold operates better than other places on the plateau you are used to and it makes you wonder what it different here that makes things work better.

For Harrick, you wonder why they bother with all this tech, when they could just use undead to do everything.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
I give you all the information you need when we're in private.  It's difficult for Marston to speak of her due to the nature of her abduction.  I have personal effects of hers that you can use for purposes of scrying.   
You find that Finn is very easy to talk to, compassionate, and genuinely concerned over your plight. I'll scry daily in the time available.

Harrick gets it.. its convenience.. just like not having to walk if you don't want to.  Technology is a tool, so are the undead.  Though, undead are cheaper to make, don't blow up unless directed.  People just need to get over their fears....
I would fear a mugger with technology more then I would fear a goodly controlled undead.
  Just think about it.. two skeletal horses could plow a field night and day.. with no food, no poo, and no complaining.
Except that the creation of undead is an inherently evil act. Look it up in any religious or arcane text. Makes a mockery of the natural cycle of life and is a slap in the face of the Creators.

And while I (reluctantly) agree that undead could be controlled to do a "good" deed, if left uncontrolled undeath always actively seeks to harm life. They gravitate towards inflicting pain and suffering on the living. It's in their nature. They are not tools. A tool is a scythe that is picked up, swung to cut the grass, and then set back down until it is needed again. When it is ignored, it does not leap up on it's own and try to cut you just to make you bleed.

Regardless of how you rationalize it, you are on a slippery slope that will ultimately lead to more vile acts.

Says an uncharacteristically serious Finn.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 11:34:37 PM »

The more "Advanced" the tool.. the more inherent the dangers.  I mean if anyone understands that it's the technologists on the plateau.  A Scyth can't plow a field when a town is sick with the flu, my creations can! Imaging skeletal nurses treating the sick when there is a pestilence.. And.. I don't believe that creating undead is a evil act.. it's just creating a construct that runs on negative energy.  The texts both religious and arcane or stodgy and old fashioned.  Written by people long ago.. if everyone followed texts written long ago I believe that you good cleric (pointing at Finn) would be required to stand here and destroy all amazing technology.
  I will.. concede that there is a slight problem that without control they sorta go off on their own.. that's why I haven't been creating powerful tools.  I've been working on this problem, it would be nice if they poof.. if I lose control.

You find that Finn is very easy to talk to, compassionate, and genuinely concerned over your plight. I'll scry daily in the time available.
Except that the creation of undead is an inherently evil act. Look it up in any religious or arcane text. Makes a mockery of the natural cycle of life and is a slap in the face of the Creators.

And while I (reluctantly) agree that undead could be controlled to do a "good" deed, if left uncontrolled undeath always actively seeks to harm life. They gravitate towards inflicting pain and suffering on the living. It's in their nature. They are not tools. A tool is a scythe that is picked up, swung to cut the grass, and then set back down until it is needed again. When it is ignored, it does not leap up on it's own and try to cut you just to make you bleed.

Regardless of how you rationalize it, you are on a slippery slope that will ultimately lead to more vile acts.

Says an uncharacteristically serious Finn.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 10:00:48 AM »

Your effort of scrying comes back with no result.  Do you have any spellcraft ranks?

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
Your effort of scrying comes back with no result.  Do you have any spellcraft ranks?
Yes. Total spell craft check is +7.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
Yes. Total spell craft check is +7.

Total of 16 tells you it is not being blocked.  It could be that she is dead, or some other reasons (such as a dead magic area).

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2015, 02:42:05 PM »
Total of 16 tells you it is not being blocked.  It could be that she is dead, or some other reasons (such as a dead magic area).
I try daily, varying the time of day each time.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »
I try daily, varying the time of day each time.

The results are the same every time you try.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 10:34:32 PM »
The results are the same every time you try.
Marston, where there any others you know of that were taken at the same time as your wife?

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »
Marston, where there any others you know of that were taken at the same time as your wife?
There were others taken around the same time as my wife, but not exactly the same time.  She was taken purposely and separately from all the others.  With a heavy heart, Marston quietly tells you that she was pregnant at the time of her abduction. 

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
The more "Advanced" the tool.. the more inherent the dangers.  I mean if anyone understands that it's the technologists on the plateau.  A Scyth can't plow a field when a town is sick with the flu, my creations can! Imaging skeletal nurses treating the sick when there is a pestilence.. And.. I don't believe that creating undead is a evil act.. it's just creating a construct that runs on negative energy.  The texts both religious and arcane or stodgy and old fashioned.  Written by people long ago.. if everyone followed texts written long ago I believe that you good cleric (pointing at Finn) would be required to stand here and destroy all amazing technology.
  I will.. concede that there is a slight problem that without control they sorta go off on their own.. that's why I haven't been creating powerful tools.  I've been working on this problem, it would be nice if they poof.. if I lose control.
It's not very polite to point. The undead are not the same as technology. Clickers are not inherently vile and can exist in balance with life. Technology is not created from the earthly remains of a sentient creature. Nor do they whittle away at the soul of the tinkers that create them.

Undead are categorically evil. Cast a detect evil spell on any undead and tell me what you see. The goodly deities do not allow their clerics to create them. The church of Falan has even sought to distance themselves from the undeath aspect of their religion, as I'm sure you are aware, and even have a group dedicated to eradicating the undead from the faith.

If you can justify the creation of undead based on their utility, what's next? Summoning devils and demons?

"Slippery slopes lead to muddy waters," as my wife is fond of saying.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 10:57:36 PM »
There were others taken around the same time as my wife, but not exactly the same time.  She was taken purposely and separately from all the others.  With a heavy heart, Marston quietly tells you that she was pregnant at the time of her abduction.
Finn pulls you in and gives you a hug that lasts about 5 sec too long. Note that he smells very much like topsoil. "We'll find them."