Author Topic: How to Begin  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
How to Begin
« on: October 21, 2020, 10:39:32 AM »
This is a big picture question.  Would you prefer that I keep most things in the world unrevealed until it presents itself in game OR would you prefer that I give an overview of everything before we start?  Another way of asking this is: How much meta information do you want?

One of the main reasons for this to be asked is that it will effect the campaign decision.  I can see how it would be helpful; such as we don't want another great forest campaign if its the same battles we just fought just in the future.  I can also see how you would want to be surprised when Pacyr is now ruled by trolls.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: How to Begin
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 02:04:22 PM »
I want a wrap up of all the characters from the 3rd era.  I was hoping we would have had time during the Snap session but I think COVID forced us to move through that more quickly then we all would have liked.  To make up for this I would love for the first 1/2 of our first session of the 4th era to be you telling the stories about what each of a select group of characters have accomplished after we stopped playing them.  For me personally it does not have to be all of my characters but at least for Cloud, Keldaan, Malek, Solaris and Nathan.  If you do not want to do this in session then I would like to know everything my characters and everyone else's characters did before we start.  Now if some of the characters are still around accomplishing things as NPC at the beginning of the 4th era then let us know everything up until that point.

I think after that is just a judgement call based on the campaign but I think an overall view of the world is important to put everything in context. That being said I think it is also important for you to make a judgement call on things that would make great surprises.  For things you want to be more of a surprise then I would just give a more broad description.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »
I'm not sure what I would prefer at this time, but if you're going to reveal some meta info, we'll all need that before we start the first campaign of the 4th era so that we have an idea what kind of characters to create. 

I agree with Windblade that a general summary of events based on our high level 3rd era characters is in order, although this can definitely be posted on the boards.  We don't necessarily need to do it in game. 

I suppose you just need to go with your gut on what story arc you feel most compelled to DM after we start back up.  You'll have had a nice break from DM'ing between Whitesword and Zunder, so do what feels right when all the 3rd era dust settles. 

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »
This connects to my last post. Low level characters from an isolated area would know little to nothing and might even have been fed disinformation depending on the stance of their homeland in the war. For higher level characters (new or old) or characters from a more worldly background it makes sense that they be more informed.

Eventually I certainly want a wrap up of the 3rd era characters (who are wrapped up) but if telling their stories reveals the whole situation I’m ok waiting until an appropriate time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:35:24 PM by whitesword »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 06:40:52 PM »
Wrap of stories for each character are in the works, based on your input.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »
Unrevealed, depending on how far into the future we go.  Essentially I would like to learn about the state of Habololy as my characters do.  Well known [global] events may be known by everyone, but may be slightly altered from the original events based on the region/retellings (Iott probably won't have the same history lessons as Icefia).  Not every character will go or have access to a Bardic College, so the knowledge of global events will be limited.  (That is unless Natsu created some sort of D&D Twitter equivalent)

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
Not every character will go or have access to a Bardic College, so the knowledge of global events will be limited.  (That is unless Natsu created some sort of D&D Twitter equivalent)
Another fantastic suggestion and yet another reason to run an all Collector campaign. 

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 09:30:19 AM »
Wrap of stories for each character are in the works, based on your input.
I should probably post my PC plans at some point.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
Some notes for what characters will know:

Unless you intentionally play a character that is oblivious to a great extent, everyone is aware that Kallark is no more.  Character may not know what he was exactly, some may think he was an Iottian, or Lyla's alter ego, but they all know he is gone.

Unless you are playing a character in denial, or some conspiracy theorist, you are even more likely to know Sutyr is gone.  In fact, most would think he has been one for longer because his faith was driven out of many places as soon as he left the Counsil.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »
Everyone's knowledge of arcane magic will vary greatly.  There will be characters that have no living memory of it functioning the way it did in 3rd era.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 11:21:25 AM »
Everyone's knowledge of arcane magic will vary greatly.  There will be characters that have no living memory of it functioning the way it did in 3rd era.
Will we be allowed to create characters that were alive during the old era?  For example, could we be 200 year old elves that know about the real history of the world?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 12:21:16 PM »
Will we be allowed to create characters that were alive during the old era?  For example, could we be 200 year old elves that know about the real history of the world?

That can be an option.