Author Topic: Where to Begin  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Where to Begin
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:23:47 AM »
As I begin to plan for the 4th era, I am considering different campaign options.

Looking at the following campaign styles, let me know which you would or would not be interested in doing (examples):

- Seafaring
- Large City (Port Springs, Rogues style)
- Single Race (Gnolls, Grean)
- Religion-based (Tyrogatore)
- Nation-based (Icefian, Mounted)
- Region-based (Great Forest, Palumbton)
- Villain-based (GOLK, dragons)
- Class-based (Wizards)
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: Where to Begin
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 01:35:59 PM »
I loved the seafaring campaign but do not want to do another seafaring.

I always enjoy a villain based campaign. Good VS Evil is one of the main reasons I enjoy playing the game.

Single race and single class fall into the same category for me.  I think it really heavily depends on the story on how successful the campaign will be.  The wizards obviously turned out awesome and had a great story.  The story behind the gnolls was great and I think a lot of people enjoyed it.  There were two things that I didn't enjoy about the gnolls which was the fact that it was gnolls as the main race.  The other reason was there were just too many people playing.  9 people is just a lot. I think I would have absolutely loved the gnolls style of campaign if it was elves, or nipits or gnomes or a more common race and I think a lot of people enjoyed that campaign anyway.      TLDR.  This style of campaign is great as long as it comes with a good story.

I always enjoy a good religion based campaign

Nation based and Region based are very similar to me and they are fine. I think all campaigns can get classified under a nation or region based campaign because typically we do not travel the whole world.  Although I do understand you can focus heavily on the nation. (e.g Icefican and mounted campaign)  These two styles of campaigns are the norm and enjoyable .

City Based: I would not be interested in doing another city based campaign because I would like to continue the rogues campaign and that is already in that style.

I also think what we did pre snap was perfect. Many of the characters moved from one type of campaign to the other. For example the seafaring campaign started heavily about the seas and then became a religious campaign.  I think that change kept it fresh.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
I'm happy to play anything, but here's some things I think would be fun in no particular order:

-Something we rarely, if ever do, is work with templates (all vampire or lycanthrope campaign would be fun)

-GOLK campaign where we're all agents of the GOLK trying to eliminate knowledge of certain events that our previous characters have caused in the past (not sure how that would work, but would be interesting)

-All Collector campaign to spread the good word of commerce (Bards, Clerics, Crafters, Evangelists, etc.)

-Travelling circus act (the possibilities are endless)

-If we're to do a campaign based on one race, I'd like to see an all Taffer group.  How fun would it be to be a group of bad ass squirrels?

-New concept here, but perhaps an elimination campaign?  What I mean is we could all be individuals fighting for our lives, such as slaves or gladiators.  Each week, we face ways to survive as we're pitted against new, more powerful opponents.  If we survive, we're "rewarded" with new weapons, armor, gear etc. until one of us dies.  If that happens, the dead can play as pit masters or NPC's vs. the living.  Basically a real life survival horror campaign.  The survivors earn their freedom and can be used in future campaigns.   

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »
-New concept here, but perhaps an elimination campaign?  What I mean is we could all be individuals fighting for our lives, such as slaves or gladiators.  Each week, we face ways to survive as we're pitted against new, more powerful opponents.  If we survive, we're "rewarded" with new weapons, armor, gear etc. until one of us dies.  If that happens, the dead can play as pit masters or NPC's vs. the living.  Basically a real life survival horror campaign.  The survivors earn their freedom and can be used in future campaigns.

We did something like this in 1994, with 10 players, ended with 4.  Although in that one, once you were out you didn't play.  I think it lasted 6 sessions.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 02:34:29 PM »
We did something like this in 1994, with 10 players, ended with 4.  Although in that one, once you were out you didn't play.  I think it lasted 6 sessions.
...so, what you're basically saying is 1994 called and they want their campaign idea back...

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »
I will continue to suggest the idea that I have been championing for the last decade or longer and if I recall correctly came in second place a few times in our voting system.  I would like to do a born on a special day campaign.  I think this would be more of a "Habololy vs. a big threat to its existence" type of campaign because we would have a variety of alignments facing a big threat to Habololy and the chosen heroes (anti heroes) must stop it. 

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 03:33:21 PM »
I will continue to suggest the idea that I have been championing for the last decade or longer and if I recall correctly came in second place a few times in our voting system.  I would like to do a born on a special day campaign.  I think this would be more of a "Habololy vs. a big threat to its existence" type of campaign because we would have a variety of alignments facing a big threat to Habololy and the chosen heroes (anti heroes) must stop it.
The idea of good vs. evil or simply two mighty forces opposing each other is always a classic.  This is essentially what DM Whitesword has been running since my first character in his campaign.  Characters from all walks of life joining together to stop a great power (Rubius, Parker, Ari, Asinjin, etc.)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 05:01:08 PM »

I have also endorsed this idea in the past. I think it would be better as a second or third campaign after we get a feel for how things are going in 4.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 10:53:50 PM »
-All Collector campaign to spread the good word of commerce (Bards, Clerics, Crafters, Evangelists, etc.).
I love the idea of an all Collector campaign. My vision would be less evangelical and more focused on the recovery of rare or unique magic items in a post-Snap world. We could be called the Collection Agency and loosely base activities on the Indiana Jones franchise. Could involve dungeon delving, larceny for hire, city-based social intrigue, religious conflict, or visits to any nation on Habololy. Iott trying to locate the Ark of the Covenant to turn the tide a losing war? Guess who finds it first to earn favor with the good guys? Lots of possibilities.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 11:01:12 PM »
-Travelling circus act (the possibilities are endless)
I like this idea too. I‘be been sitting on a character idea for awhile that I think would fit well. The campaign could also take on a second theme, like national or villain or special day pretty easily.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 09:29:54 AM »
I love the idea of an all Collector campaign. My vision would be less evangelical and more focused on the recovery of rare or unique magic items in a post-Snap world. We could be called the Collection Agency and loosely base activities on the Indiana Jones franchise. Could involve dungeon delving, larceny for hire, city-based social intrigue, religious conflict, or visits to any nation on Habololy. Iott trying to locate the Ark of the Covenant to turn the tide a losing war? Guess who finds it first to earn favor with the good guys? Lots of possibilities.

Not going to lie- I don’t understand the fascination with the Collector. I must have missed some good stuff in the Rogues.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »
I mentioned to DM, I think it would be easier to decide if we had an idea if this was going to be completely new- ie low level, no connection to previous characters etc. Or something transitional like the end of the war etc.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 05:49:03 PM »
Not going to lie- I don’t understand the fascination with the Collector. I must have missed some good stuff in the Rogues.
Natsu is probably my favorite character. Motivations and goals for Natsu - ostentatious use of magic, amassing Scrooge McDuck level personal wealth, and developing a global brand for the religion - are just so vastly different than any of my other characters that it’s refreshing. And I really want to see how the religion can be built up on the foundations laid down by Natsu. I guess it’s the closest thing I have to one of my PCs achieving deity status.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »
I mentioned to DM, I think it would be easier to decide if we had an idea if this was going to be completely new- ie low level, no connection to previous characters etc. Or something transitional like the end of the war etc.

It will not include existing high level player characters except possible as historical reference or an outside chance at a brief meeting.

It will not involve the end of the war.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 01:17:39 PM »
I had another thought on this topic.  Right now I have lots of character ideas that I would like to try out so a more open campaign that let us pick from a variety of character would be great now.  However, in a few years when I have already used my character ideas up it is really nice to have a more focused style of campaign (e.g. wizards, religious campaign) where I have to create a character using certain criteria.  One of the best campaigns ever run was the wizards and that was created towards the end of 2nd edition when I had run out of ideas.  I remember we sat around talking about what we wanted to do and someone said lets make all wizards.