Author Topic: Time Domain  (Read 6147 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
Re: Time Domain
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »
I think this is too much.  Somebody double check me but I think this is the only case that that would allow you to cast 3 spells and still move.  Move with your move action, cast spell with your standard action, cast quicken spell with your swift action, and cast quicken spell with a free action.
I don't think you can use a swift action and free action in the same round?  And I don't think you can turn a spell into a swift action with a quicken feat?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
Yes, a free action is too wide open to abuse.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »
I don't think you can use a swift action and free action in the same round?  And I don't think you can turn a spell into a swift action with a quicken feat?

A free action is an action that can be used as many times in around as the DM sees fits.  For example talking is a free action so you can use a free action in any round no matter what you have already done as long as the DM is ok with it.

A swift action can only be used once per round and it is usually an action that results from a feat or an prestige ability.

Here are the definition of swift and free action from the SRD:

Free Action
Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.

Swift Action
A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform only a single swift action per turn.

Once 3.5 came and swift action were introduced a quicken spell became a swift action.  Here is the definition of quicken spell from the SRD.

Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a quickened spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.

Special
This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
So you wouldn't be able to cast two quickened spells in one round even if you got another swift action because the feat description says no more than one quickend spell per round.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
Just went back and reread the original question, swift to free would be a mess.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 08:40:10 PM »
Right since that is in the description of the feat which I didn't realize.  However, you can use a swift action and free action in the same round and a quickened spell by definition is a swift action.  So I still agree with my original argument that the a turning a swift action into a free action opens itself up to much abuse. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »
Okay, so we go back to three possible moves:

Full round to standard
Standard to move
move to swift

The ability can only be used once per round.  It may be used once per day, per once per four cleric levels.  How is that?

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »
Seems fine.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »
1st: Ancient Knowledge (Magic of Eberon)
2nd: Hesitate
3rd: Haste: One creature/level moves faster, +1 on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves.
4th: Touch of Years (Complete Mage)
5th: Permanency[X]: Makes certain spells permanent.
6th: Glimpse of Eternity (Magic of Eberon)
7th: The Flow of Time (Rokugan)
8th: Temporal Stasis
9th: Time Stop: You act freely for 1d4+1 rounds.

Granted Power: Once per day, plus once per day per four clerics levels, the cleric may reduce the required time to perform an action by one step.  Full round action becomes standard, standard becomes move, and move becomes swift.  This ability can only be used once per round.

Unless there are any objections, I'll lock this tomorrow.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
Missed locking this one a few weeks ago after it was complete, posting so everyone knows.