Author Topic: Magic in the 4th Era  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Magic in the 4th Era
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2022, 03:17:24 PM »
Does a wizard have to have the spell prepared in order to cast it as a ritual?

For example, Gnickel wants to cast Tiny Hut at the end of a day of adventuring so the group has a more comfortable place to rest at night. Does he have to spend an hour exchanging his prepared Lightning Bolt to memorize Tiny Hut, then cast TIny Hut as a ritual (taking 30 min), then spend another hour to swap Tiny Hut back to Lightning Bolt?

Not sure if we addressed this. I envisioned rituals to be more like a wizard reading directly from a spell book, so I’d vote that it does not need to be prepared in a traditional sense as long as the caster is in possession of a written version of the spell.

Should also consider adding a focus cost to ritual spells in addition to any other material costs. That would be for things like arcanic tools, exotic materials, etc that are necessary to turn a normal spell into a ritual. Maybe call it a kit that costs 100*(spell level)2 gc.

I like this idea.  Something akin to to an alchemist's kit for Ritual Spellcasters

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2022, 04:03:52 PM »
Maybe call it a kit that costs 100*(spell level)2 gc.
That seems a little expensive, but that's just my humble opinion.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2022, 05:36:53 PM »
Does a wizard have to have the spell prepared in order to cast it as a ritual?

For example, Gnickel wants to cast Tiny Hut at the end of a day of adventuring so the group has a more comfortable place to rest at night. Does he have to spend an hour exchanging his prepared Lightning Bolt to memorize Tiny Hut, then cast TIny Hut as a ritual (taking 30 min), then spend another hour to swap Tiny Hut back to Lightning Bolt?

Not sure if we addressed this. I envisioned rituals to be more like a wizard reading directly from a spell book, so I’d vote that it does not need to be prepared in a traditional sense as long as the caster is in possession of a written version of the spell.

Should also consider adding a focus cost to ritual spells in addition to any other material costs. That would be for things like arcanic tools, exotic materials, etc that are necessary to turn a normal spell into a ritual. Maybe call it a kit that costs 100*(spell level)2 gc.

They have to know the spell, but they don't need to have it prepared.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2022, 06:49:46 PM »
I also thought that not everyone can cast ritual spells that you had to be trained in it in some way.  However, the conversation was so long ago that I don't remember.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2022, 10:53:41 PM »
I also thought that not everyone can cast ritual spells that you had to be trained in it in some way.  However, the conversation was so long ago that I don't remember.
I don’t think we planned on anything exceptional. The only requirement was having time.

I do like the concept of introducing a ritual focus/supplies. Cost I proposed is pretty cheap compared to an equivalent pearl of power. And it’s a one time cost.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2022, 11:51:02 PM »
Some spells may be cast as a ritual.  Spells cast as a ritual do not require concentration to maintain, unless the spell specifically list concentration in the description.

Spells which require more than 1 minute to cast normally are already considered rituals.

A ritual may not be cast if a spellcaster is concentrating on another spell.

Rituals do not count against a spellcaster’s allotment of spells for a day.

Feats that effect casting time may not be applied to ritual spells.  Metamagic rods may not be used on ritual spells.

To be eligible to be cast as a ritual, a spell must meet the following criteria:

Duration over 1 round

Casting time of at least 1 standard action

Casting a spell as a ritual requires a longer time than typical for the spell

1 standard action requires 10 minutes * spell level

1 full round action requires 20 minutes * spell level

1 round requires 30 minutes * spell level

1 minute requires 1 hour * spell level

NEW FEAT: School Concentration – all spells in the school are considered similar.

NEW FEAT: Intelligent Concentration – a caster may use Intelligence modifier instead of Constitution modifier for Concentration checks involving spells.

NEW FEAT: Ritual Metamagic – the caster may apply metamagic feats to ritual spells.

NEW ITEM: Rod of Concentration – takes on the concentration of a one spell.

NEW ITEM: Crown of Metamagic Ritual – allows the caster to apply a metamagic rod to ritual spells.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2022, 06:38:32 AM »
NEW FEAT: School Concentration – all spells in the school are considered similar.
Could you elaborate on this a bit?

Also, I suggest adding the following feats:

NEW FEAT: Charming Concentration – a caster may use Charisma modifier instead of Constitution modifier for Concentration checks involving spells.

NEW FEAT: Wise Concentration – a caster may use Wisdom modifier instead of Constitution modifier for Concentration checks involving spells.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »
If a caster casts the same spell multiple times, only 1 concentration check is required.  (for example, casting Invisibility on multiple allies).  Some spells are considered similar enough to be lumped together for purposes of concentration.  (Invisibility, Greater Invisibility, etc.)

Note the prereq's for these feats have not yet been detailed.  This one would a be high prereq feat.