Author Topic: A Long Expected Summons  (Read 4386 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
Re: A Long Expected Summons
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
Once everyone takes a seat Maglore speaks: “Greetings again. It has been too long, in more than one sense. I have asked you to come because we believe there is an opportunity to strike a meaningful blow against the Enemy.

Last year, after we learned that the prisoners in the Abyss had been freed and the last of the Tanari banished, Escalon and I became concerned that we had not seen any sign of Nilas’anor’s servants for some time.  Amnelli, one of Kerkley’s companions, reminded me that our enemies are immortal, or nearly so, and if they so desired could simply wait for the great heroes of this age, of which all of you are counted, to pass to their rest.  We cannot allow that to happen.

Around that time, Lord Nisoru reported to the Council the results of his conversation with Lord William Summerlight, who sought to ensure the Severing was completed. Based on his report I endeavored to discover what Marius had truly intended. William reported that if the Severing had succeeded the vessel containing Falan’s evil aspects would have been banished to the Outlands. I found this hard to believe.”

“Asinjin, may I have the sword?”

Asinjin produces a katana. Maglore takes it and draws it smoothly from its matte black sheath. It looks as if the sword should tip him over, but he calmly holds it outstretched in one hand for a minute and then stands it on its point. It does not wobble.  The blade is stone washed, even the killing edge shows no glint. The wrapping on the handle is black and grey and the guard and collar are black as well.  After another minute he raps his knuckles on the table and the sword falls back into his hand. He rests it edge up on the table.

“This is Kira-Kage’yaiba, ‘the blade that kills from Shadows’. It was surrendered to us after the battle in the Temple by Roland, it’s rightful owner. From the reports of the events surrounding the Severing I found it interesting that Marius would go to such lengths to retrieve this blade for its use in the ritual. After we determined that it was not evil, despite its ominous name, Lord Nisoru and I set out to learn what we could of it. With Roland’s aid we learned that it is the weapon of his clan, the Kenai, and that it came to Habololy with the Horarians. As Roland was not raised among his people he does not know its full powers. As it was not forged on Habololy my magical investigation yielded little more. Fortunately, we are all acquainted with one of the world’s preeminent diviners, who also happens to be a master artist. As such I asked Asinjin to continue the investigation.

Would you tell our council what you have discovered?”

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 12:31:45 PM »
Asinjin coughs to get it out of the way in hopes he makes it through his talk without a fit.

"Thank you for the introduction and kind words."

"My investigation lead me to the upper planes.  There, I communed with a deity of the Horarian pantheon of their old world, who still exists in other places.  He lead me to knowledge about this sword....cough

It was forged by their last great smith, Ar’Zhen Ishiri, in a place called the Iron Tower.  There he was deceived by Amat, as were most of the Horarians.  He forged this blade along with a companion blade, which is common among the Horarians and these types of weapons....cough

Ar’Zhen Ishiri took his own life shortly after he learned of Amat's deception.  He was last known to have been in the Iron Tower, which disappeared around the time of his death.  It was a magical place that moved locations in the world but hopped to the Ethereal plane to do so....cough

I have learned that the companion blade is still in the tower, which is now located on the Plane of Shadow.  The other blade likely holds some more information about this blade."
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 03:17:13 PM »
My friends, forgive me for asking, but do any among us possess the ability to travel safely through the Plane of Shadow?  If so, do we have any idea what to expect to encounter once there?

Asinjin, I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say we're all blessed to have your immense power and spell casting abilities on our side.  During your commune, were you able to determine the relative power of the sword we're after?  Does it have a name?  Is it intelligent?  If so, I'd prefer not to offend it, although I imagine it would be longing to reunite with it's sibling.  Also, would this deity be willing to let us take the sword from the tower back to the Prime Material Plane?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 05:11:55 PM »
My friends, forgive me for asking, but do any among us possess the ability to travel safely through the Plane of Shadow?  If so, do we have any idea what to expect to encounter once there?

Asinjin, I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say we're all blessed to have your immense power and spell casting abilities on our side.  During your commune, were you able to determine the relative power of the sword we're after?  Does it have a name?  Is it intelligent?  If so, I'd prefer not to offend it, although I imagine it would be longing to reunite with it's sibling.  Also, would this deity be willing to let us take the sword from the tower back to the Prime Material Plane?

"They are not intelligent.  The deity is not in control of the blade, nor is it his, he just had knowledge of it."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »

"With proper spells, we can manage.  But I am not knowledgeable about the plane, so I do not know other than the obvious what to expect."

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 12:42:44 AM »
“Greetings. Welcome back to the College Lord Arishimoto and master Al'Davourin El'Toruk, though you just left.”  He hands Parker a piece of parchment, where you find every book and scroll you have outstanding.

Parker looks over the list. He seems lost in deep thought for a minute, then pulls out a quill and ink well from a pouch. He then proceeds to write the date each item was returned. All of the dates are from a few years in the past.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 01:45:13 AM »
Parker looks over the list. He seems lost in deep thought for a minute, then pulls out a quill and ink well from a pouch. He then proceeds to write the date each item was returned. All of the dates are from a few years in the past.

Clever...

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 07:33:03 AM »
I have a few questions:
1. How does obtaining this weapon strike a blow at Nilas Anor?
2. Our enemy has a strong presence on the Plane of Shadow, correct?
3. When do we leave?
4. OOC - There were a bunch of magic items loot in the Phobos thread that we’re never identified or distributed. Can we address those and use the proceeds to buy stuff in the off season?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:45:47 AM by Hero »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 08:48:23 AM »
I have a few questions:
3. When do we leave?

There is no rush.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 10:10:32 AM »
Asinjin coughs to get it out of the way in hopes he makes it through his talk without a fit.

"Thank you for the introduction and kind words."

"My investigation lead me to the upper planes.  There, I communed with a deity of the Horarian pantheon of their old world, who still exists in other places.  He lead me to knowledge about this sword....cough

It was forged by their last great smith, Ar’Zhen Ishiri, in a place called the Iron Tower.  There he was deceived by Amat, as were most of the Horarians.  He forged this blade along with a companion blade, which is common among the Horarians and these types of weapons....cough

Ar’Zhen Ishiri took his own life shortly after he learned of Amat's deception.  He was last known to have been in the Iron Tower, which disappeared around the time of his death.  It was a magical place that moved locations in the world but hopped to the Ethereal plane to do so....cough

I have learned that the companion blade is still in the tower, which is now located on the Plane of Shadow.  The other blade likely holds some more information about this blade."

Nisoru and the other Horarian man react with clear surprise to your report but remain silent for now.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »

Maglore says: “Travel on the Plane of Shadow is as safe as our own plane, in the sense that it has no negative magical effects on mortals. As for what you may find when you arrive that is another matter. It is the denizens of the plane, almost all evil, that make the journey perilous.”
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:18:24 AM by whitesword »

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:09 AM »

4. OOC - There were a bunch of magic items loot in the Phobos thread that we’re never identified or distributed. Can we address those and use the proceeds to buy stuff in the off season?

For the sake of my sanity let’s say each PC has 75k to spend in buying or having items created. The recovered items were not useful to you. It’s been over a year so anything you commissioned is finished.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »
I have a few questions:
1. How does obtaining this weapon strike a blow at Nilas Anor?
2. Our enemy has a strong presence on the Plane of Shadow, correct?

Maglore continues: “The Plane of Shadow is a twisted reflection of our own and by its nature the reflection of each place on the material plane, each world, is separate from others. There is no doubt the Enemy has followers there but as he appears to have had nothing to do with the fall of the Horarian home world it is doubtful that the Tower is of any interest to him.

However, he and his followers have shown an affinity for the power of the plane, and are connected to it, which leads me to your original question.

All of you know, and some of you were present at the time, that years ago Uscis attacked the temple of Stasis in Forestall in an attempt to steal the Gemblade and kill Arion.  Arion and Lyra had already eloped when Uscis arrived and he was driven off.  The power of the Gemblade over creatures of evil and darkness is known across the planes so this was not surprising, if foolish. 

This sword was forged on the Plane of Shadow. Other than the Gemblade, it may be the most powerful weapon from another plane on Habololy. As creatures are more vulnerable to weapons from their own plane, I believe that if we can unlock the power of this blade it can banish Iscen or Marius from Habololy. At least for 100 years if not permanently.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »
For the sake of my sanity let’s say each PC has 75k to spend in buying or having items created. The recovered items were not useful to you. It’s been over a year so anything you commissioned is finished.

Which PCs were included: Kerkly, Benlin, Asinjin?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 11:02:40 AM »
Which PCs were included: Kerkly, Benlin, Asinjin?

This is from the battle in the Outlands, so everyone but Asinjin.