Author Topic: New Combat Domain  (Read 20338 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
Re: New Combat Domain
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
I disagree with Touch of Admantium being weaker than our spell.  Here is why:

Touch of Admantium effects unarmed strikes of someone with Improved Unarmed Strike, Alter Weapon does not.

ToA grants a +1 magic enhancement bonus, AW does not.

ToA ignores hardness, AW does not.

ToA increases the weapon's hit points, AW does not.

ToA can be cast on a weapon that is already made of a special material, AW cannot.
I have an issue with two parts of above: Adamantium weapons ignore hardness so if AW can grant a weapon the Admantium material type it would ignore hardness. Likewise HP are determined by material. Even with those issues resolved its still a very weak 6th level spell. I'd rather have alter weapon and have the option of which material to choose. Check out the Magic of Eberon book for a similar spell.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
The intent of the Alter Weapon spell is only to overcome damage reduction of creatures.  It has no other effect than to allow the weapon to overcome damage reduction.  That does not include hardness.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
We have set the ability for this domain at: Weapon Focus (deity's favored weapon) and one round per cleric level per day, add Wisdom modifier to attack roll with deity's favored weapon.  Does that work for everyone?

OR

Do we drop the Weapon Focus, and make the ability usable for all weapons?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »
We have set the ability for this domain at: Weapon Focus (deity's favored weapon) and one round per cleric level per day, add Wisdom modifier to attack roll with deity's favored weapon.  Does that work for everyone?

OR

Do we drop the Weapon Focus, and make the ability usable for all weapons?
I like the first option

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
I found the 9th level spell.  Hero's Blade from Eberron.  Unfortunately, it is in one of the 3 of 13 books I didn't win.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
For one round per day per cleric and clerical favored class levels, the cleric adds Wisdom modifier to hit with deity's favored weapon.  In addition, the cleric's levels count as fighter levels for the purpose of prerequisites for feats using the deity's favored weapon.

I thought this was the one we were going to use?

I like this much better then weapon focus.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
Yes thanks for reminding me.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »
Hero’s Blade
Necromancy
Level: Deathless 9
Components: V, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Melee weapon touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)
You channel the spirit of a mighty elf hero of old into a melee weapon. For the duration of the spell, the weapon gains the following benefits.

The weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage to evil creatures, or an extra 2d8 points of damage to evil outsiders and undead. On a critical hit, the weapon deals an extra 2d10 points of damage to evil creatures or an extra 2d12 points of damage to evil outsiders and undead. (Against undead, the weapon damage is not multiplied on a critical hit, but the undead creature still takes increased damage from this effect. Other creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits do not take extra damage from this effect.)

The weapon becomes good-aligned, allowing it to overcome the damage reduction of certain evil creatures.

The weapon’s threat range doubles, as though it were affected by a keen edge spell (this does not stack with the benefit of the keen special ability or the keen edge spell, but does stack with the benefit of the Improved Critical feat).

When it scores a critical hit against an evil foe, the weapon blinds and deafens the opponent for 1d4 rounds (a successful Will save negates the blindness). Spell resistance applies to this effect.

When the weapon scores a critical hit against an evil extraplanar creature, the creature must make a successful Will save or be instantly banished back to its home plane. A creature so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. Spell resistance applies to this effect.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:44 PM »
Hero’s Blade
Necromancy
Level: Deathless 9
Components: V, DF
Target: Melee weapon touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)
You channel the spirit of a mighty elf hero of old into a melee weapon. For the duration of the spell, the weapon gains the following benefits.

The weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage to evil creatures, or an extra 2d8 points of damage to evil outsiders and undead. On a critical hit, the weapon deals an extra 2d10 points of damage to evil creatures or an extra 2d12 points of damage to evil outsiders and undead. (Against undead, the weapon damage is not multiplied on a critical hit, but the undead creature still takes increased damage from this effect. Other creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits do not take extra damage from this effect.)

The weapon becomes good-aligned, allowing it to overcome the damage reduction of certain evil creatures.

The weapon’s threat range doubles, as though it were affected by a keen edge spell (this does not stack with the benefit of the keen special ability or the keen edge spell, but does stack with the benefit of the Improved Critical feat).

When it scores a critical hit against an evil foe, the weapon blinds and deafens the opponent for 1d4 rounds (a successful Will save negates the blindness). Spell resistance applies to this effect.

When the weapon scores a critical hit against an evil extraplanar creature, the creature must make a successful Will save or be instantly banished back to its home plane. A creature so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. Spell resistance applies to this effect.
we can tinker with it a bit to make it universal.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2012, 11:33:09 PM »
I think we open a whole can of worm's if we start tinkering with spells and creating new ones to complete domain list.  I don't think it is a great idea. 

If we must do this then the only thing I see is ok and still might be risky, would be to change the school and the flavor of the spell without changing the mechanics at all.  For example bone fiddle could be changed to a conjuration  spell instead of necromancy and instead of playing your bones it would create a force fiddle that followed the person around and played eerie music causing the same effect as the bone fiddle.

However,  I still think this is a bad idea and if we don't like the spell then we should just look for a new one.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 12:52:59 AM »
I agree with Windblade, but I think this spell doesn't have to be changed so much as a version used for each alignment, in the way there is a Protection from Good, Evil, Chaos, Law.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »
I agree with Windblade, but I think this spell doesn't have to be changed so much as a version used for each alignment, in the way there is a Protection from Good, Evil, Chaos, Law.

I actually never read the spell was just concerned about tinkering with them.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »
1 Critical Strike
2 Weapon of the Deity
3 Find the Gap
4 Dolorous Blow
5 Dancing Blade
6 Touch of Admantium
7 Brilliant Blade
8 Brilliant Aura
9 Hero's Blade

This looks to be good.  Any Thoughts?

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
This is pretty good, but I don't really like Critical Strike.

How about Heroics (SpC) or Combat Readiness (Drow of the Underdark)

COMBAT READINESS
Divination Level: Assassin 1, bard 1, sorcerer/wizard 1
Components: V
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The target’s eyes widen, and shine briefly with a white light.

The touched creature gains a +1 insight bonus on initiative checks for every three caster levels you have (mini- mum +1, maximum +6).
In addition, if the target is flanked, its opponents gain no bonus on attack rolls (but still gain any other benefits derived from flanking, such as extra sneak attack damage).

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »
I like the Combat Readiness, it's something different than any of the other spells on the list, yet still appropriate.