Author Topic: New Combat Domain  (Read 20177 times)

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: New Combat Domain
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 09:21:09 AM »
The wisdom to attack bonus is a pretty powerful ability.  One of the reason Solaris might be overpowered is because all his abilities revolve around his wisdom.  He has the feat that increase his attack,  he gets it to his AC because he is a Saint, and he gets it to all his spell abilities as normal so I really don't have to worry about pumping any other score.  With the bonus to wisdom from the vow of poverty, saint template and adding points ever 4 levels his wisdom is extremely high and it effects every aspect of his character.  Part of the reason the saint template is so powerful on a cleric is because of the Wisdom bonus to AC since the cleric already is focused on Wisdom anyway it will be extremely high.  That is one of the reason this ability is not as powerful on a monk.  So buy creating a domain that gives a wisdom bonus to attack for a cleric you run into the same problem. 

Also DM when reading the ability immediately capped it for natural wisdom and not to include bonuses from magic items etc.  The fact that is capped tells you something. 

Here is what I would suggest:

If you have it be a permanent ongoing bonus then I would have it replace Str not stack with it.  Also if you are going to do it I wouldn't cap it.  Is you have this ability then I would have be all or nothing so include magic items etc.  I think capping for natural wisdom creates unnecessary confusion.  Sink or swim with the ability that is created.

However, what I think would be best is to have activate as a free action turning attempt.  So you activate you turn attempt and you get a bonus from your wisdom for a certain amount of time.  Maybe for 1min.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
Actually I wouldn't use turn attempts because that is too much like a divine feat.  I would do something to cap the amount of times you can activate it.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
I agree.  Replace Str or Dex with Wisdom for attack rolls and find a way to limit it per day.

Thoughts on a limiter?
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
I think if we limited to a certain amount of time per day then we can just make it a bonus.  If we do not limited then I think it should replace str or dex.  I am in favor of limiting to a certain amount of time per day and just making it a bonus or coming up with something completely different that still fits the domain.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »
For one round per day per cleric and clerical favored class levels, the cleric adds Wisdom modifier to hit with deity's favored weapon.  In addition, the cleric's levels count as fighter levels for the purpose of prerequisites for feats using the deity's favored weapon.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
I think you nailed it!

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
I like it. I think it's fairly comparable to the strength domain ability.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »
I like this more for Mouser than Stasis or Falan but I would like to see how we change War if at all.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »
War is going to drastically change.  Combat spells will be geared toward personal, while War spells will be group.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »
Ill restate here what I posted in the Tyrogatore thread: I think we should have an armed and an unarmed combat domain. I think they would be easy to do as there are a plethora of spells that affect both and the division of the two is such a big part of Habololy's history and character.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
Do we want to focus the spells of this domain on the weapon or the wielder?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »
Is this the Weapons domain?  If so I have been focusing on spells that enhance a weapon or the wielder. Masters Touch, Weapon of the Deity, Whirling Blade, Dolorous Blow

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
Yes, Combat is Weapons, or whatever name we settle on.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »
1 Master's Touch
2 Weapon of the Deity
3 Whirling Blade
4 Dolorous Blow
5 Dancing Blade
6 Vanishing Blade (this is a little weak) Iron Guard?
7 Brilliant Blade
8 ??
9 Lord of Swords?(really a 7th) Iron Body?

Note: magic of H has an alter weapon spell at 2nd level. BoED has a spell called Touch of Adamandite that is 6th!

Gain weapon focus and specialization with deity's favored weapon OR for a number of rounds equal to their caster level add Wisdom modifier to BAB.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
I forgot to mention: when i used the Tools site all of the Eberon pages came up empty.  I was searching by rulebook.  All the lists I have posted therefore were made without considering those spells.  If you see some that look good feel free to chime in.  I also only gave OA a cursory look.