Author Topic: Next Challenge: Hellfire Engine  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Re: Next Challenge: Hellfire Engine
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »
Also, we should brainstorm ways to avoid melee combat with the Hellfire Engine and take advantage of its weaknesses.

What kind of range can Thaddeus get with his rifle? Can we snipe it? I think Ari can solve the DR/good+adamantine problem if we aren't in melee.

We know it has cold vulnerability, anyone have any long range cold spells?

It probably has an awful touch AC if there are ways to capitalize on that.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 09:34:37 PM »
Can anyone say hastened aids?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 09:56:46 PM »
If we were to get xp, Benlin might have a cold spell to help.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 10:10:01 PM »
Also, we should brainstorm ways to avoid melee combat with the Hellfire Engine and take advantage of its weaknesses.

What kind of range can Thaddeus get with his rifle? Can we snipe it? I think Ari can solve the DR/good+adamantine problem if we aren't in melee.

We know it has cold vulnerability, anyone have any long range cold spells?

Sh'aar wonders out loud " is it possible to do enough damage to it without closing?  I don't know how these things operate, is there someone who needs to run it?  Someone who has the command words ,  maybe delay is as good!"

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »
Sh'aar wonders out loud " is it possible to do enough damage to it without closing?
That's a question for Thaddeus. I think he should pack enough of a punch to make a difference, especially if we bless his ammo and change it to adamantine (I have a potion for each). The farther away we can hit the golem, the more time we'll have to chip away at it, and the less time we'll have to spend engaging it close up. Mixing in a few long-range cold spells (like this) will bring it down faster. We want to be far enough away from it when we strike the final blow so we aren't caught in the resulting explosion. We'll just have to deal with the baatezu that teleport in to stop us.

I don't know how these things operate, is there someone who needs to run it?  Someone who has the command words ,  maybe delay is as good!
Golems typically don't require active control. From what I've picked up from Asinjin, they operate like completely obedient soldiers - once given an order they execute it without further instruction.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:07:33 PM by Hero »

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 04:04:54 PM »
Can anyone say hastened aids?
Good thought, but I think the range on the archon's light ray is pretty short (30 ft?)...it would likely be a suicide mission for them.