Author Topic: Magic Item Proliferation  (Read 9416 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Magic Item Proliferation
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
To start, xp for the session:

For planning, debate, and item preparation; everyone gets 1500.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Item Proliferation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
So.. we don't know what we are walking into... if fact a greater deity doesn't know what we are walking into.  And we where worried about setting a trap for a minor deity from another planet. Great...  We know little.. we know that Malchia tried to sneak in, which was met with resistance.  However that tells us nothing, we'd meet anyone we though was sneaking into our protected areas with resistance.  We know Vishtoo now guard Home.. however that tells us little, other then the obvious.  Going in with force probably isn't the greatest idea, since is i've said 10 times, we don't know what we are walking into.  Specially if we can't teleport out.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »
So.. we don't know what we are walking into... if fact a greater deity doesn't know what we are walking into.  And we where worried about setting a trap for a minor deity from another planet. Great...  We know little.. we know that Malchia tried to sneak in, which was met with resistance.  However that tells us nothing, we'd meet anyone we though was sneaking into our protected areas with resistance.  We know Vishtoo now guard Home.. however that tells us little, other then the obvious.  Going in with force probably isn't the greatest idea, since is i've said 10 times, we don't know what we are walking into.  Specially if we can't teleport out.
I was able to teleport out from the bridge leading into Home, but I was scrambled a bit on the way out.  I felt something strange come over me, but was able to overcome it.  I then appeared over an ocean somewhere and simply teleported from that point back to the college.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:26:11 AM »
I suggest memorizing spells that overcome Spell Resistance and offer little in the way of self defense for your opponents (i.e. no saving throws).  I honestly don't know if antimagic is effective in Home since the place is brimming with Arcane power, but that might be an effective tool as well.

If we're able to successfully reconnect with Galen, we'll no doubt find some answers on what's going on and be able to strategize our next move. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »
It is the 19th day of the 2nd month (appropriately Smofena) of 786.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »
At one point that day, Haskra delivers a message to Montaron that he will help in any way (short of going with you) that he can.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
I was able to teleport out from the bridge leading into Home, but I was scrambled a bit on the way out.  I felt something strange come over me, but was able to overcome it.  I then appeared over an ocean somewhere and simply teleported from that point back to the college.

Ehh... that's not good.. wizards don't like when they can't escape.

I review some history from Home, have they ever had political allies?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
No political allies.

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
I don't see us being able to sneak in short of mugging some vishtoo and using magic to disguise ourselves as them and replace them.  I don't see diplomacy getting us anywhere, and an all out assault for spell caster when we don't know what we are up against seems like a bad idea.  I am at a bit of a loss.  Maybe we should scout the area for an amount of time and see whether anything goes in or comes out and at what frequency.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:04 PM »
Malchia, tell us about your first trip to Home. How did you get in? Was there a vistoo guarding the bridge?

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 10:45:26 PM »
Malchia, tell us about your first trip to Home. How did you get in? Was there a vistoo guarding the bridge?
I teleported into the airspace right before the city entrance.  Once there, I approached the bridge leading into Home.  Nefario alerted me to the presence of a Vishtoo gaurd patrolling nearby so I decided to sneak past him.  He noticed me right away and approached my location.  I tried to teleport back to the college but something prevented that from happening.  I managed to appear over an ocean somewhere and teleported to the college from there.  There's not much more to tell.  I was trying to gather some information before bringing all of you there, but as it turns out, we're going anyway thanks to a little help from Smofarf. 

What I can tell you from my time spent there, the place is completely magic.  Every structure, energy source, and individual there radiates arcane magic.  There is a fuming green smoke that flows throughout the entire city that enhances magical ability.  It has an assortment of benefits but nobody seems to be able to pinpoint exactly how it works.  It appears to be pure magical essence.  It was mentioned to me that prolonged exposure (we're talking decades) can have negative effects, but I didn't witness anyone with negative side effects. It is believed to be the birthplace of arcane magic, and in particular, spontaneous casting.  Some of the most powerful magic items in all existence were forged there.  Some even before Habololian recorded history.  It feels very natural for someone like myself and I can see why it was simply named "Home."  The residents were very welcoming before the insurrection.       
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:47:26 PM by Malchia »

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 11:18:56 PM »
It's interesting that you say insurrection. Do you believe the conflict you witnessed was all internal to Home or the result of an outside force?

You said the strife seemed to begin when a discovery was made regarding one or more of Quentin's items. Was it an item you possessed or one that they had there that was at issue? Or was it some new ability discovered when items were combined?

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »
It's interesting that you say insurrection. Do you believe the conflict you witnessed was all internal to Home or the result of an outside force?

You said the strife seemed to begin when a discovery was made regarding one or more of Quentin's items. Was it an item you possessed or one that they had there that was at issue? Or was it some new ability discovered when items were combined?
I said insurrection because the guards there protecting the city seemingly turned on the residents.  If something more is happening, I'd like to find out.

It started when some of the powers of one of my quest items was discovered; the earrings that the Collector now has.  The earrings were already in Home when I arrived.  Galen was bringing me to them.

There was talk of a possible connection to a dead deity, but those theories never got fully hashed out in my presence.  If the research team figured something out, they didn't get the chance to tell me.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »
That is very worrisome. If it was an outside power that had seized control we could hope that they did not have control of the city's defenses; or that residents of the city might aid us. If it is a faction of the leadership of the city that has over thrown another I think we will have to try diplomacy first. I will ask the deans if they will allow us to represent ourselves as emissaries of the College.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
If you assure them that it will be the wizards three specifically representing, that the others are not made known as emissaries, then they are fine with it.  Upon further consideration, Montaron is acceptable as well.