Author Topic: Demonstration of Power  (Read 55424 times)

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: Demonstration of Power
« Reply #225 on: March 04, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
"Russell, I'm pretty sure if you successfully Disjunction it, you'll attract the attention of its creator.  Perhaps with the right combination of timing, we could both destroy it and set a trap.  Do your powers of Chronomancy allow you to foresee when someone or something might come through this again?  If so, you could Disjunction it at the moment they seek entrance through the portal.  Maybe with a little luck, we could destroy the portal while they are traveling through it; hopefully taking them out along with it."

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »
"Russell, I'm pretty sure if you successfully Disjunction it, you'll attract the attention of its creator.  Perhaps with the right combination of timing, we could both destroy it and set a trap.  Do your powers of Chronomancy allow you to foresee when someone or something might come through this again?  If so, you could Disjunction it at the moment they seek entrance through the portal.  Maybe with a little luck, we could destroy the portal while they are traveling through it; hopefully taking them out along with it."
Assuming our enemy is not a power or has a severed lifeline I should be able to predict any activity involving this item with great accuracy. That gives no guarantee of success in destroying the portal.  Furthermore, interdimensional travel is essentially instantaneous so if I cast the disjunction while it was in use the travelers would merely be shunted to one side or another. I think you are thinking of this as an extra-dimensional space. 

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 04, 2013, 10:28:59 PM »
Assuming our enemy is not a power or has a severed lifeline I should be able to predict any activity involving this item with great accuracy. That gives no guarantee of success in destroying the portal.  Furthermore, interdimensional travel is essentially instantaneous so if I cast the disjunction while it was in use the travelers would merely be shunted to one side or another. I think you are thinking of this as an extra-dimensional space.
Would you be able to create an extra-dimensional space large enough to trap them once they cross the portal?  What I mean is have an illusion up so when they cross through, they walk right into an extra-dimensional space.  Once inside, we destroy it.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
Would you be able to create an extra-dimensional space large enough to trap them once they cross the portal?  What I mean is have an illusion up so when they cross through, they walk right into an extra-dimensional space.  Once inside, we destroy it.
~if only you knew of someone who was really good at illusions who had nothing to do for the next several months...who could manually transport/watch/etc...the portal....~

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
OOC:   Just a thought but if in the session we might have time to spend the money we got from the last adventure.   It might be worth knowing what we are going to buy so we can have more time doing the more important things for the adventure. 

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 04, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
At some point Cloud says to Malchia:  "You have probably put this together already but just in case you didn't your items were likely destroyed either by the disjuntion followed by the sonic fireball or just from the sonic fireball itself.  Not the artifact items your are searching for but you normal magic items.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 04, 2013, 11:09:23 PM »
(It's impossible for Russel to hide the fact that he is trying not to be condescending)

Extradimensional spaces are typically bags of holding and portable holes and not useful for trapping giants, or really anything larger than a pixie. Spells which create an extradimensional space, such as a rope trick, can only be entered voluntarily, which means they are almost equally useless. We could try to set up a Gate immediately adjacent to the portal so that those passing from Cald immediately passed to another plane, however there are problems with this plan as well.

First, we have no reason to think whoever comes to activate the portal will come through the portal. I would expect them to already be here and thus we could find ourselves in a position of having to defeat them before they could open the portal and thus have wasted all the time until then.

Second, assuming they do come from the otherside, our enemies are in the nature of a military and therefore they will most likely send a reconnisance first. We will then be forced to choose between destroying that element and loosing our chance to strike at the leaders; or waiting for the main force and risk finding ourselves overmatched. Luigi and I recently participated in a true large scale battle and I for one have no illusions about our ability to defeat a sizeable force of giants.

My vote remains be done with it now if we can, either by disjunction or Gate.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:12:58 PM by whitesword »

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:07 PM »
I wish I could award bonus points for mentioning the pixie in the bag of holding.  "The pixie stays in the bag.  The pixie cleans the caber!"   Hahahahahaha!

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:07 AM »
I am definitely open to the idea of a trap being set using the gate but I can't think of how to do this.

I see to major problems with using it as a trap. 

1.  We would have to some way keep constant watch over the portal and have a way of being alerted when someone was activating it.
2.  I don't think we have a practical way to move the portal without carrying it ourselves.  I don't see a way to get it back to the college.

If anyone can solve both of these problems them I am all for a trap but for now I say disjunction it.   

That all being said I don't want to spend too much more time make this decision because we are low on spells right now and vulnerable to attack.

Can one of you wizards cast a power dispel on it, suppressing its magic temporarily.  Then we can use magic to teleport it.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 05, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »
I think that would work.  I make a knowledge arcana check +26 to see if I see any problems with that plan.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #235 on: March 05, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »
You think that could work.  It would definitely work for less powerful magic items, and the theory is sound.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 05, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »
That may also send up red flags in the same way just straight up destroying it would.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 05, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
That may also send up red flags in the same way just straight up destroying it would.

I'm thinking there is already a red flag, we killed their general.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 05, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »
Yeah, I agree they already know we are here, which is part of the reason I think a trap won't work.  However, if it is as simple as dispelling it and then bringing it back to our anti-magic room then lets do that That way we will have more time to figure out what we want to do with the portal.  Then can focus on the rest of our plan and how we are to recover the items Malchia is seeking along with finding out more about the people from home who are familiar with the wizards three.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:39:18 PM by Windblade »

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 05, 2013, 12:55:38 PM »
Yeah, I agree they already know we are here, which is part of the reason I think a trap won't work.  However, if it is as simple as dispelling it and then bringing it back to our anti-magic room then lets do that That way we will have more time to figure out what we want to do with the portal.  Then can focus on the rest of our plan and how we are to recover the items Malchia is seeking along with finding out more about the people from home who are familiar with the wizards three.

Is it agrees that we are going to try this?  This is what we should do.  I have a greater dispel ready.  I can attempt to dispel it, and use a normal teleport to go from here, to the otherside of camp with the picture.  If that works, i'll then use my only Greater Teleport to bring it back to the tower.  The reason for this extra step is because I only have a single greater teleport left.