Author Topic: Adapting to the Situation?  (Read 27161 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
Re: Adapting to the Situation?
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »
"So we can assume whatever they employers are planning, it is coming soon."

cough

"Are there any holidays, celestial events, or anything else over the next few days in the nation?  Is there anything that couldn't be done without a monarch?  Is anyone due to have a child in the next few days that could alter the calculation?"

cough
Oliver thinks for a moment. "There are no preplanned events but there are many things that the High King would be responsible for; particularly the war and responding to any new crisis."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
"And if something that needed an immediate decision came up during the meeting, who would make that call?"

wheeze
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »
"And if something that needed an immediate decision came up during the meeting, who would make that call?"

wheeze
"That is precisely the problem. It's not clear. As Steward of the High King's lands Howland has authority over events that happen here. The High Constable has power over the cities and ordinarily the Lord Protector has power over the military, but there is no Lord Protector so the General Staff is in command."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2012, 12:58:42 PM »
"So can we assume that the adapters' masters have something planned that would cause one of those in power temporarily to make a bad decision.  Start a new war?  It seems the goal would have to be something that prevents Arian gaining command ever, even now after he is king."

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »
"So can we assume that the adapters' masters have something planned that would cause one of those in power temporarily to make a bad decision.  Start a new war?  It seems the goal would have to be something that prevents Arian gaining command ever, even now after he is king."
"Assumptions are dangerous when dealing with the mind of an evil being. Their whims and wishes are often alien to ours.  You have said their masters more than once; who is it that you think they serve?"

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
"We know who they serve.  A deity alien to Habololy and its lieutenants."

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »
"We know who they serve.  A deity alien to Habololy and its lieutenants."
"I realize who our enemy is but you are implying these creatures work for more than one of his servants."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2012, 02:45:54 PM »
"We know they work for the shade, and the serpent is aiding his cause.  It tried to stop us from reaching the castle."

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
Assuming no more questions for the adapters or any of the council members I will post this evening.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2012, 11:48:47 PM »
All those assembled look very uncomfortable. Some of the soldiers get down on one knee. Parker gets more than one unpleasant look from a council member but eventually King Oliver is led in, leaning heavily on Hanai Winterstar, and says :"It is true. Arion is the true heir and Stasis has chosen this time to make right the error's of the past.  Our kingdom stands on the edge of a battlefield, with an enemy before us and no allies aware of the danger.  Renew your fealty to Stasis' vision or stand aside." He then takes out his sword and offers it to Arion. All of the demi-humans quickly fall in beside him as do the other monarchs. The human nobles join in after a moment of hesitation.
Arion looks very uncomfortable for a moment but Lira takes his hand and he stands on the first step of the seven tiered dias leading to the thrones.  "I am Arion Gemblade, son of Eylis, descended from Stasis through my forbearer Escalos and the line unbroken." He then draws out the Gemblade and it glows with a pure white light. Some of the nobles and even King Whiteknight look nervously at each other.

"I am not yet your king; I respect this tradition, but I am the true heir and unless another should appear to dispute my legitimacy I ask all of you to advise me and follow my edicts.  As King Oliver has said and should be plain to all of you, our home is in great danger. The dark powers themselves oppose us and their agents move to exploit our weakness."

Another moment of silence and brief uncomfortable look on Arion's face.

"The war must stop. Our armies will be needed to defend the people and in time defeat the forces of our true enemies.  The legions must return to their strongholds and we must find the leaders of the Scaled Elves."

The pronouncement is met with a seemingly unanimous "Yes your majesty." of varying degrees of enthusiasm.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
To Parker and the other in the group:

"Could Marius be expecting this move?  Perhaps he is waiting to ambush the troops.  Perhaps he looks to take control of the Scaled Elves now that their nation is in ruin."

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
"Possibly, but remember, it was Stasis' kingdom that was broken in the other timeline.  It was the use of the Juggernaut and that was the final act that broke the spirit of the nation.  I've no doubt Mari.. that our real foes are playing both sides.  Most likely using Adapters as they were used here.  I think that the plan was to stall the choice for as long as possible.  That would leave the Kings power split among several people.  It is not unreasonable to assume our foes planned to replace some or all of those figures to bring about the history we know about.  Our involvement has thrown a Tinker into his plans so he will undoubtedly attempt to salvage his plan any way he can.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »
"I place no value in the delusions inflicted on us."

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »
"I place no value in the delusions inflicted on us."
~sigh~ Parker grabs the bridge of his nose and shakes his head

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
"If there is nothing else, I need to rest."

Just before I sleep for the night, I will cast Discern Location for Marius, using the arm band.