Author Topic: Cold Case  (Read 18394 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
Re: Cold Case
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
The File:

The usual means of identifying a suspect or suspects through informants and confidential sources have failed.  If believed, no one in the underworld has knowledge of who killed Stormmoon or why.  All efforts to bribe, promise, cajole or threaten an idea have come to naught.  Never have I seen such a dearth of information about a murder; and yet the killers made no effort to conceal their crime.

I now believe I know why the body was not secreted underground or even camouflaged amidst the rubble of the dump.  A Seer in the employ of the church of Celetal was paid for by the family to assist me and could not find a single stone from which she could draw an image. The killers laid him down naked and were on their way.

I also recently learned that the Crown had selected Stormmoon for a title for his work during the Crusade.  Wine, water and provisions were shipped to the front at his expense; both the cost to do the shipment and the losses the company incurred from the diversion of resources.  It was done with no fanfare and no expectation of reward.  To say that Lord Crystalsmyth and his brother, the head of the directing council are disappointed in me is an understatement of Hebablam proportion.

For the time being I have nothing left to add.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Addendum to File, Investigator E. Blanchard

8 Trest 784  Possible Witness/Informant with information relating to the unsolved murder of Abram Stormmoon
Name Colminal Falce, Nationality Intorian (mixed ancestry, possibly Horarian) Gender: Male; Age: Approximately 26

Colminal Falce was interrogated at the Shrine of the Bountiful Seas, in the presence of High Cleric Faison and Deputy N. Millerson. 

The subject of the interrogation was the alleged statements made by Falce while recovering from injuries inflicted by a dock gang.  Falce was believed to have been offloading a vessel known as the Black Gull without the aid of local stevedores.  His injuries necessitated clerical intervention and a symbol of Lavash'Ki was found on his person he was brought to the shrine for healing.  As he had no money or items of sufficient value on his person (investigator's note: need to add robbery to the charges against the stevedores) the clerics provided him with only the bare minimum and allowed him to remain in the shrine under their watch.  As he was a potential witness a deputy was assigned to keep watch over him.
During the first night Deputy Norman Millerson distinctly heard Falce say the name Abram Stormmoon.  Deputy states that the subject was delirious and appeared to be revisiting a conversation on the subject of Mr. Stormmoon's murder.
The following morning First Deputy Firepeak assigned me to interrogate him and drew from the treasury sufficient funds to pay for his healing.  Upon being awoken and confronted the subject appeared terrified and refused to answer any questions unless given a promise of protection by his majesty's government.  I returned to the castle to inform the First Deputy and the Lord Mayor.  Shortly thereafter Falce escaped from the shrine, knocking the deputy on duty unconscious in the process.  I also learned that the Black Gull had left harbor without taking on cargo immediately after Falce was assaulted.  As there is no record of what they supposedly off loaded I can only assume it was a smuggler's ship.

Efforts to locate Falce have so far been unsuccessful.   

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:23 PM »
Has the Black Gull returned to Phiam since then?
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
The File

Entry by Chief Investigator and Second Deputy Thate, 17 Leenot 784:

I have never believed that Stasis or any of the powers of the Light punish us in this life but I am beginning to think Compture or Lavash'Ki or another wretched power of Chaos is at work against me in this case.  A witness appears and then disappears while I am out of the city for two months.  Now Brentan is gone, by his own request no less, to join Martine at the front.  I could not have worse luck.

Upon my return I immediately began to look for Falce.  He is not unknown in the underworld but is not highly though of by others of his ilk.  He was on occasion paid by the Onice (and had Blanchard made that connection that alone would have been enough to take him into custody . . .) but does not appear by name in any of the limited records we have recovered of their operation.  The Black Gull is a privately owned vessel that has shipped for most major companies including the Onice and Seafarers but not Waterstreet.  The ship returned to port last month and fortunately Harbormaster Pratt held her for two days while the marines searched from the keel to the crow's nest under First Deputy Firepeak's personal direction.  They found a false hold, confirming Blanchard's instinct, but no contraband.  She was also under a different captain and no log entry could be found regarding the last visit to the city.  Brentan seized the log and I examined it.  It is clearly a wholesale copy as the writing is too consistent, despite efforts to make it look otherwise, for it to have been the work of multiple people over an extended period of time.  Smugglers, likely very well paid independents.  What are the Onice up to now?

No sign of Falce and no way to determine if he is alive or dead.  I intend to continue my search for him until he is found.

For only the third time in my career I have resorted to the use of the Divination prayer.  I have rarely found them useful and this time was no different.  Listen Carefully was the only answer.

End of File

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »
In light of the complete file let me know what if any of the previously posted actions you still wish to take.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »
How are large sums of money usually transferred (legitimately) in Icefia? Coin, gems, transfer between bank accounts?

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »
Was Falce a resident of Icefia, or did he come in on the Black Gull? Or some other ship?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:13:35 PM by Hero »

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 09:45:10 AM »
  • Are all of the staff (groundskeeper, chef, cleaner and secretary) still working for the family?
  • Is there any clue as to this new hobby that might have revitalized the decedent?
  • Uleric will talk to the secretary and cleaner (assuming they can be found) to see if they remember/know anything about the hobby
  • Uleric will ask the groundskeeper (again assuming he/she can be found) if there were any changes to the grounds made between the time the decedent recovered from his melancholly to the time of his death

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »
At some point during our time together, I ask Ularik: "My apologies if you told us already, but how long have you been a constable?"

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »
Uleric responds, "I was a training class or two ahead of you, so 6 months longer than you would be my guess.  As I said before, I was relegated to a desk job almost immediately after training, which contributed to my unfortunate nick-name back in Masada.  I jumped at the chance to get out and do some real work, such as it has been..."

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »
How are large sums of money usually transferred (legitimately) in Icefia? Coin, gems, transfer between bank accounts?

The Kingdom does not have a complex banking system. One national bank, used primarily by businesses, and a few private banks, used almost exclusively by the wealthy. For the ultra wealthy, which would include the Stormmoons, they prefer to keep private vaults.

Bank notes are used for the transfer of funds between banks except if an account is closed. Then the actual deposits are typically returned.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »
    • Are all of the staff (groundskeeper, chef, cleaner and secretary) still working for the family?
    • Is there any clue as to this new hobby that might have revitalized the decedent?
    • Uleric will talk to the secretary and cleaner (assuming they can be found) to see if they remember/know anything about the hobby
    • Uleric will ask the groundskeeper (again assuming he/she can be found) if there were any changes to the grounds made between the time the decedent recovered from his melancholly to the time of his death

[/list]

1) yes
    2) no

I will wait until I see what if any course of action you decide to take as a group before I decide to play out your questions on the board or in a session.
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:45:12 PM by whitesword »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Habololy
    « Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »
    Uleric responds, "I was a training class or two ahead of you, so 6 months longer than you would be my guess.  As I said before, I was relegated to a desk job almost immediately after training, which contributed to my unfortunate nick-name back in Masada.  I jumped at the chance to get out and do some real work, such as it has been..."

"I understand."  During that conversation with Ularik, "Is Arsur'anyodel a common faith among the dwarves?  It doesn't seem to me that it would be?"

Offline Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »
    Was Falce a resident of Icefia, or did he come in on the Black Gull? Or some other ship?
    DM, any response to this question?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 12:27:50 AM »
    DM, any response to this question?

Any question not in the file you will have to seek out an answer for.