Author Topic: Liberation Domain  (Read 8378 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Liberation Domain
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
Hero, what is the granted power?

1st - Knock
2nd - Freedom of Breath
3rd - ??
4th - Freedom of Movement
5th - Break Enchantment
6th - ??
7th - ??
8th - ??
9th - Unbinding (Complete Divine)
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Re: Liberation Domain
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
This is what we came up with a few years go.

Liberation

Granted Power: If you are effected by a charm, compulsion, or fear effect and fail your saving throw, you can attempt the save again 1 round later at the same DC. You get only this one extra chance to succeed on you saving throw. This is an extraordinary ability that can be used one time on every effect.

1   Resurgence
2   Knock
3   Mass Resurgence
4   Freedom of Movement
5   Break Enchantment
6   Passwall
7   Phase Door
8   Mind Blank
9   Unbinding   

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
why don't we use the same power but have it a #number of times per day equal to your turn undead.  You can have it be used on the same effect more then once. It can be used either once every round  or once ever minute.  I think once a round is fine but up to everyone else.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
1st - Knock
2nd - Freedom of Breath
3rd - Mass Resurgence
4th - Freedom of Movement
5th - Break Enchantment
6th - Passwall
7th - Phase Door
8th - ???
9th - Unbinding (Complete Divine)

I don't like Mind Blank here.

So you one the granted power to use the same pool of uses as turn undead, or just use that as how many times a day?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »
Don't most of the spells already allow a save every round?  Seems kind of weak to me.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »
Very few allow a save every round (Hold does and it is the most common).

Some only allow a save if some other effect comes into play (Dominate).

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
Very few allow a save every round (Hold does and it is the most common).

Some only allow a save if some other effect comes into play (Dominate).
If the ones that don't allow a save every round give you a save every time the caster tries to exert some influence over you I'd say that's functionally equivalent. I'd include a save bonus to make it a little better.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
I agree it isn't a super powerful ability.  I was more worried about the mechanical aspect to fit around the turn undead than the power.  I would have a # of times a day based on your turn attempts.  I think adding a small + to save isn't a bad idea.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
I think allowing it once for every time you get effected by a qualifying spell is fine.  How many times in a day are you going to get to use it realistically.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »
I think allowing it once for every time you get effected by a qualifying spell is fine.  How many times in a day are you going to get to use it realistically.

Good point.  I forgot it is a domain ability so it doesn't need to match with turn undead. I keep getting the domain abilities and the turn undead abilities mixed up.

Another possibility is you are under effects of a  freedom of movement spell for a # of rounds day equal to your cleric level.  This maybe activated when you are under the effects of a spell that holds you such as hold, power word stun etc.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »
The Freedom of Movement is already the ability of the Travel domain.  Although it does sound appropriate for Liberation.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
I don't like spells as domain powers.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:38 PM »
I don't know Unbinding.  Could we knock it down to 8th and make Freedom the 9th level spell.  Freedom is arcane only 9th so I don't think we would put it at 8th.  Otherwise I can't find a good 8th level spell.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
The Freedom of Movement is already the ability of the Travel domain.  Although it does sound appropriate for Liberation.

I think freedom of movement makes much more sense in liberation then in a travel domain.  Travel domain should be an ability that effect your travel either by increasing movement speed or mode of movement.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »
UNBINDING (Complete Divine)

Abjuration Level: Liberation 9, sorcerer/wizard 9
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: 180 ft.
Area: 180-ft.-radius burst, centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

When you cast an unbinding spell, a burst of force erupts from your body and magically destroys any spells that con- tain, constrain, or seal, with the exceptions noted below.

The unbinding negates charm and hold spells of all types, arcane locks and similar closures, spells that create physical or magical barriers (wall of stone, wall of force), guards and wards, temporal stasis, and slow spells, among others. The effect of a statue spell is ended. A magic jar is shattered—forever destroyed—and the life force within snuffed out. In addition, any spell that holds magical effects, including other spells, immediately releases them at a range of 0 feet (including magic mouth, imbue with spell ability, and so on).

Protective spells such as protection from evil, shield, globe of invulnerability, and similar spells are not affected by an unbinding. Petrified creatures are neither revealed nor restored. Individuals bound to service are not freed (includ- ing creatures such as familiars, invisible stalkers, genies, and elementals). An antimagic field is not affected, nor does the effect of unbinding penetrate one. A magic circle against evil (or another alignment) that currently holds a creature imprisoned is dispelled.

Curses and geas/quest spells are negated only if the caster is of a level equal to or greater than that of the original caster.
All these effects occur without regard to the caster’s wishes. Spell effects on the person of the caster or being carried or worn by the caster remain undisturbed, but any others within the burst are effective, including those of allies. The opening of locks or other closures triggers any alarms or traps attached to them. Any released creature may or may not be friendly to the caster.

Material Components: A lodestone and a pinch of saltpeter.