Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Gate
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
Is Gate too powerful?

The primary suggestion made in house rules elsewhere is to lower the HD to caster level, not double.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: Gate
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »
I believe gate is too powerful in one aspect and that is that you can double your hit die on a creature that you can summon.  I think that should be reduced to your HD.  Other then that it is fine.  Things like the Solar,as an example, are why this needs to be modified.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »
Gate is supposed to be a powerful 9th level spell.  By reducing the HD of summoned creatures, you cheapen its effectiveness.  Besides, it costs 1000 XP to summon a creature this way and they only last a round per level assuming you can maintain concentration, so whoever casts one should get their money's worth. 

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:59:38 AM »
Good points.  I looked up the concentration effect and to me it isn't very clear what you need to concentrate on.  However, if Malchia is correct on his interpretation then that would make the spell more balanced.  Also there is a caveat that some creatures are uncontrolable and act as they please such as a diety or powerful unique being.  I think you could argue that a Solar would fit under that catergory.  So I think if the DM takes care of problem creatures such a Solar then we would not need to make any changesl

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
Good points.  I looked up the concentration effect and to me it isn't very clear what you need to concentrate on.  However, if Malchia is correct on his interpretation then that would make the spell more balanced.  Also there is a caveat that some creatures are uncontrolable and act as they please such as a diety or powerful unique being.  I think you could argue that a Solar would fit under that catergory.  So I think if the DM takes care of problem creatures such a Solar then we would not need to make any changesl

We could interpret it so that if you gate a creature with more HD than you have levels, you have to concentrate to maintain control.  If you do not concentrate, it (the DM) has discretion to allow the creature to act appropriately on its own.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
First, clearly we're not talking about changing this in the middle of the tournament.

Second, I don't think the spell is unbalanced. It has a very high XP cost and very limited uses. I agree that Solar's are close to unique beings and therefore you should have to call them by name, but otherwise I don't see an issue.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
First, clearly we're not talking about changing this in the middle of the tournament.

Correct

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
Gate is actually one of the most versatile spells out there.  I wouldn't call it limited at all.  Now fireball or lightning bolt is limited.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »
You're right, limited was the wrong word. It fulfills a very specific purpose, two actually. It's the ultimate transportation spell and the ultimate summoning, though with potentially very serious consequences.