1 (14.3%)
Wins a few and takes control of the southern forest
1 (14.3%)
Succeeds in wiping out opposition in the forest and kills Greenfellow
3 (42.9%)
Destroys the world
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Tales of the Heroes  (Read 42946 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
Re: Tales of the Heroes
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:46 PM »
Master Artist and Arch-Diviner, Asinjin Al'Davourin El'Toruk (DMD, Icefia) (Part 1)

After the battle Asinjin returned to Intoria, and in the years prior to the breaking of the Stones was seldom seen.  Ari and Parker sought his aid in the form of divinations and planning, but aside from efforts against servants of the evil Habololian powers, there were few opportunities to offer aid.  Asinjin did make the occasional appearance at the Bardic College to lecture and display especially important works.  Rumors, in the circles of prominent and powerful arcane spellcasters, was that Asinjin would soon open a location of the famous Magikowner shop in Magenthia.  This proved untrue.

Asinjin was already renowned as an artist and buyers came from far and wide seeking to commission work from him.  Asinjin established a network of contacts who would handle buyers at arms-length.  Asinjin correctly surmised that some of these buyers had unscrupulous interests and that some were servants of the Collector.  In 793, Asinjin was forced to relocate three times and in 795 he had a brief but violent confrontation with the covetous Slaad’s most fanatical followers.  After that Asinjin was out of contact completely.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2021, 09:56:49 PM »
Profit comes for City Cleaver

Perhaps no one took greater advantage of the aftermath of the Day of Broken Magic than Parker.  Of course, as he participated in the breaking of the stones, he was perhaps better prepared to do so than anyone.  Parker and his fellow relic hunters, his mentors Dean Hawklyn and Professor Vello-Shan, and Ben Dothan, the Ursinal of the Council of Ten, spent much of 797 through 799 scouring the world for items that they wanted to keep out of the hands of Iott or the Collector.  Parker, just slightly less altruistic than his fellows, became one of the wealthiest men in Icefia.  His fame (or infamy) increased commensurately.

His home in Phiam was the subject of several burglaries, by offenders ranging from the inept, amateur, criminals, to professional thieves from Icefia and abroad, to divine agents.  All of them failed, unable to overcome the mansion’s defenses and when necessary Parker’s timely arrival.  In Coustus 800 Parker would face a challenger determined to undo his greatest accomplishments.

By this time, the Collector’s faithful were among the most zealous on Habololy.  Determined to satisfy their master’s every wish, his agents were often in a race with the relic hunters. When they failed, they had to find another way to acquire the desired object.  Usually this meant barter, but some items had to be taken.  On the fateful day, Parker arrived at the mansion a few minutes ahead of the intruder.  Though he knew an attempt was imminent, he could not see the identity of his adversary until he arrived.  Parker was not surprised to see Profit, an agent of the Collector, arrive and begin to probe the defenses.

Profit, as one of the Collector’s most powerful servants, had an arsenal of magic items that would make most kings jealous.  As a proxy of the Collector, he was able to draw sorcerous power directly from his patron and had access to the mightiest spells.  Profit had prepared for Parker’s chronomantic abilities and knew that as a master bard he could bedazzle him with song.  Profit had heard tell that Parker was even a competent, if less than honorable, swordsman, and knew that he had formidable allies, in particular his wife, his two dwarven housekeepers and a stone golem.  Finally, he knew that, somehow, Parker enjoyed the favor of the High King of Iceifa, so any attempt would have to be quick and subtle.  In spite of these difficulties, Profit was sure he would succeed, for succeed he must; the Collector demanded City Cleaver, and so it would be delivered.

To his surprise, the front door of the mansion opened and a well-dressed dwarf emerged, one of the famed housekeepers no doubt.  “Master Profit, Professor Berko is expecting you and has prepared a selection of libations from the cellar.”  Sure that it was a trap, Profit warily followed the dwarf inside.  Parker was waiting for him at the foot of the grand staircase, seemingly unarmed.  Lightning quick, Profit produced a wand from an invisible summoning sheath and pressed it against the dwarf’s head.  “I have no desire to harm him or you professor (said with contempt), but I will have the sword.”  Parker, appearing concerned for his retainer’s wellbeing, gestured to the siting room, where Profit saw the blade laying across the outstretched palms of what was obviously the feared Furious Guardian.

Taking the dwarf as a shield, Profit attempted to retrieve the blade and realized it was three times his size.  He brought out one of his most minor items to summon an improved unseen servant and stood dumbstruck as it failed to activate.  He spun to face Parker, and the last thought that went through his mind, before the bullet from Parker’s priceless Whirlson pistol, was: “That’s a beautiful piece, it would make a wonderful addition to the collec . . .”.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2021, 10:14:08 PM »
I guess the Rouges weren't doing as well in the living category as once thought.

I don't think that will be the last change.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2021, 11:00:02 PM »
I will be editing most of the post to add level.  This is the level at the end of the post story, whenever that may have been in the timeline.

This is serve both as entertainment and practical for those characters that may show up as PCs or NPCs.  Don't feel obligated to level them out, but feel free to do so.

If I get the exact levels wrong for what you envisioned, don't worry, the total level is what is important and if you let me know I can adjust.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2021, 11:04:17 PM »
If I get the exact levels wrong for what you envisioned, don't worry, the total level is what is important and if you let me know I can adjust.
Is it safe to say you'll only be posting updated levels of the characters that lived?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »
Is it safe to say you'll only be posting updated levels of the characters that lived?

No, levels will be posted for everyone. If they are dead, it was the level they reached before they died.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 12:07:50 PM by Asinjin »

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2021, 09:34:13 AM »
Profit comes for City Cleaver

This just became my favorite story so far

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »
Have to be honest, I was rooting for Profit.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »
I was rooting for mutual destruction like Wilham and Kovar.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »

Begs the question, what is everyone else's favorite story so far?

Master Po chimed in via text to me after binge reading the stories a few nights that Gansuhk's was his so far.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2021, 10:17:21 AM »
(Professor) Parker Berko (Valdis, Icefia (among others)) (Part 1)

As Iott ascended, Robyn became increasingly nervous, almost paranoid and in 795, pregnant with twins...
Anyone want to play a Berko twin PC with me in the next era?

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2021, 10:29:23 AM »
Anyone want to play a Berko twin PC with me in the next era?

I'm in,

I'm also interesting in a Veronkia brood story, or a Harrl brood

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2021, 10:54:28 AM »
Have to be honest, I was rooting for Profit.

Cold

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2021, 11:38:22 AM »
Zalthor (Malchia, Icefia)

The wild bugbear lived a life matching his mental state.  Bouncing from place to place and joining with all manner of adventures for reasons both reasonable and not.  His time in Icefia lead to his death and the deaths of those that fought beside him.  This repeated itself time and again.

He would go back to Borkondof and find a good life as chief of a small village, and then it was leveled and he was killed during the days of Harrl's Rage when his legacy was stolen.  In Yellowia, he had a new life as a refugee but was convinced to join in on the attack against the Yellowian governor from Iott leading to the Day the Magic was Broken, where he again died.  Next, he was in the Great Forest as part of Razk's Raiders.  The raiders were successful, but other than Razk, the casualty rate was high.  On the Great Plateau, he was paid well to clear squatters off of settled land.  He met with an equally angry human and his massive hammer.  In Lowlas, where the tendrils of Iott did not reach, he rested for a bit.  But the call to action was strong in his blood and he could not rest long.  He traipsed through the swamps, hunting with lizardfolk who were keen to have a bugbear's skills.  Again, he was killed by the great serpents of Izhudan.  When the plagues came, he ignored them, shouting his immunity.  He died from three of them.

Zalthor's constant trips between life and death confused him at first but he grew so used to it that in his mind he became convinced that he was not dying.  His power was so great that he could not be killed.  A gremlin swami told him that only a great and rare weapon could kill him forever, one meant to kill only those like him.  Amused, greatly scarred, confident beyond reason, Zalthor traveled south to a new city that could experience his magnificence.

This place called Ermaneo, labeled by some as the birthplace of new deities, seemed a goof place for one such as himself.  There, he set about convincing everyone of his divinity.  For his efforts, he was given meals and lodging.  He assumed these people to be his worshippers giving him offerings, in truth, they were taking pity on the insane.  One night, a fierce lightning storm erupted.  For Zalthor, this meant that his time of ascension was at hand...

Fighter 4 / Berserker 4
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:42:00 AM by Asinjin »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »
Malek Trainer (Windblade, Palumbton)

After his successes in Palumbton and Barnstenagor, Malek tried several times to travel the world and find a place.  The Great Forest, Port Springs, Icefia, Yellowia, Amansky, and even Iott were places he visited and looked for adventure.  No place fit.  Life in Palumbton was so different.  The pace was slower, the life simpler.  As Malek aged and he himself grew more to understand life and slow down, he realized that he belonged in North Palumbton.  Even though its name was now North Liberty, was different, the people were similar.

By the age of thirty, Malek had a wife and a family.  He helped manage the affairs of the town and was known in Barnstenagor for his knowledge of creatures.  There would occasionally be an issue that would arise nearby, but typically just the presence of he and Koth would end the issue.  Arapnianian, ever by his side also happily found a mate and some of the smartest rodents around now lived around the town.

When magic was disrupted, Malek was concerned and offered to help any summoners learn that stopped by the town.  He thought to send messages on ships advertising his services, but Koth and the other town leaders advised against it.  Iott had visited and passed them over, Gneon and his rebels had visited, and found little interest.  Why invite danger?  So he agreed to aid those who happened to stop at the port, but not advertise.

Such was his life, that Malek never needed the most powerful spells that were denied him.  That vast majority of his time was now spent on mundane things; family and teaching.  His skills in things other than magic became in far more demand.  In his youth, Malek never considered this would be his role, but happiness and fulfillment found him nonetheless.

When Kallark was defeated, Malek heard reports of reprisals against wizards around the world.  Such was the scale that even in North Liberty the news was heard.  He sat down to consider that his home and his family were safe from these attacks because he had put away his spellcasting.  He didn't know exactly what to make of it, but it gave him some relief.

One day in 815, his old friend came knocking, adorned as he rarely was these day with his hammer on his shoulder.  He had a favor to ask...

Sorcerer 10 / Summoner 10
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 03:54:51 PM by Asinjin »