Author Topic: Modern Skills  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Modern Skills
« on: August 09, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »
This is from the Plateau Book:

Pilot (Dex; yes; no)
You have learned how to control vehicles that are not powered by animals.  This includes steam boats, flying machines, and horseless wagons.
   Check: A check for this skill is used to determine if you are able to successfully maneuver the vehicle.  The most common reasons that a Pilot check is required are:
•   The vehicle takes significant damage
•   Performing a difficult turn
   Retry: No
   Special: If you have 5 ranks in pilot, you get a +2 synergy bonus when you are sailing a ship or driving a horse drawn wagon.
   This is a class skill for Crafters, Tinkers, and Rogues.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Re: Modern Skills
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »
Should the Technology feat provide some form of access to the skills for using clickers (i.e., Pilot and Tinkering)?

Very few classes gain access to these skills. If a character that's not one of those classes spends a feat to take Technology I feel like he should be able to add ranks to those skills.

Some options to consider:
1. Technology feat makes Pilot and Tinkering class skills.
2. Technology feat provides 1 rank in Pilot and Tinkering but has no affect on their status as a class skill.
3. Technology feat allows you to purchase ranks in Pilot and Tinkering at a rate of 1 skill point = 1 rank. No change to status of these skills as class skills, so still max ranks are limited if they are cross-class skills. This is similar to move silently/ hide with the Guerilla Warrior feat

I kind of like option 3 because classes with those skills remain better at their use. For instance, a bard with Technology wouldn't be as good of a pilot as a tinker, but he would be better than a wizard without it.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:06:56 PM »
I like the 3rd option as well.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:17:32 AM »
I guess there's an option 4 too:
4. No change.