General Category > 20 Season Tournament

Underdogs

(1/3) > >>

Asinjin:
Some questions:

Should the underdog have the advantage of knowing the opponent, and the opponent not know before the match?

Should the opponent know the categories that the underdog has set before the match?

Valdis:

* No.  The underdog already has an advantage by setting the stage of the confrontation.  If he is getting to chose the setting, it stands to reason that he/she will frame it to their best advantage.  Giving them knowledge of their opponent will only allow for specifically crafted kill zones
* No.  The underdog will lose some of the advantage of choosing the location, etc... of the fight

Zunder:

--- Quote from: Asinjin on June 30, 2012, 07:29:51 PM ---Some questions:

Should the underdog have the advantage of knowing the opponent, and the opponent not know before the match?

Should the opponent know the categories that the underdog has set before the match?

--- End quote ---

1 - I think it should be a surprise for both players.
2 - No, Because, honestly if some characters are able to prepare for specifics they won't loose. I think this will force players/characters to prepare for anything.  That alone will be worth the price of admission.

Honestly, what's the point otherwise. 

whitesword:
Agreed (with both of the well reasoned posts above)

Asinjin:
To the 2nd point, I think we can settle that.  The opponent will not know which criteria have been picked by the underdog and which are random.

To the first point, there are several problems with neither knowing:

1- I am involved, and at least I have to know all of the pairings, so it gives me an advantage (albeit I only have one character so a small one)

2- The ranking of the characters won't entirely give away the match-ups, but it will narrow it down.  If we don't want the favored to know, I would have to do the ranking and not reveal them.

3- The underdog's advantage may be diminished too much if he doesn't know his opponent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version