Author Topic: How do you know if you are at the beginning of a revolution or the end?  (Read 52757 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: How do you know if you are at the beginning of a revolution or the end?
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »
"I assume they act in the same way as a wand for purposes of using a magical item.  If not, then I cannot."

Looking at the formation, does it appear to me that a widened purified lightning bolt would get...like 48 of them (120/5)*2.

Although from above, I may drop the widened purified acid ball...40 foot radius...that's probably 100 in that area of effect.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »
"I assume they act in the same way as a wand for purposes of using a magical item.  If not, then I cannot."

Looking at the formation, does it appear to me that a widened purified lightning bolt would get...like 48 of them (120/5)*2.

Although from above, I may drop the widened purified acid ball...40 foot radius...that's probably 100 in that area of effect.
Where the lines are broken the acid ball would be more effective.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »
I will allow the leaders of the battle to tell me when and where.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »
If there is anything specific you wish to do during or immediately after the battle please post by Saturday.  I will make a final post then or after I hear from each of you.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
The juggernaut no longer radiates fear and would offer you the best vantage to shoot at the fiends but if you are attacked only the giants and maybe Ari will be able to aid you.  The battlements would offer you better protection but the fiends have not approached within a bow's range.
OK, I'll land on the Juggernaut, but remain invisible.  I'll start raining down +2 arrows with the holy bow.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »
If there is anything specific you wish to do during or immediately after the battle please post by Saturday.  I will make a final post then or after I hear from each of you.
Once the battle ends, and assuming I survive, I'll help tend to the wounded with whatever remaining healing potions/wand charges I have left and supply water and food to whoever needs it.   

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2013, 09:41:50 AM »
Asinjin does what he can to cast his spells to help defeat the remains of the horde.  After the battle, I find Arian and counsel him.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 08, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
Hearing no further opinions, our epic thread and adventure comes to a close.

The battle rages through the darkness of the early day and the defenders seem as if they will break the attackers will when the sky lightens. The zombies and fiends are unimpressed by the dull grey hour of daylight and manage to hold the attackers lines until the darkness returns.  Then the barbarians redouble their assault.

Asinjin spends the battle moving from one spell generator to another, using his purifying power to throw white fireballs where it seems the defenders lines might crumble. Most times the spells turn the tide but some times they do not and the soldiers or marines are overrun or pinned against the wall where no one can aid them.

Rubius spends most of the battle acting as a sniper, firing his holy arrows at fiends and barbarian leaders. He is very effective until a little after darkness returns when he is hit with a dispel that renders him visible and (he quickly discovers) unable to fly. He is forced to jump down to Damon to avoid a swarm of the winged brain fiends that you have seen before. He tries to return to his perch but the swarm returns and seems to have another means of locating him. He is forced to fight beside Ari until he is exhausted and then one of the giants picks him up and keeps him on his back until he too must withdraw for a respite.

Parker, as befitting his skills and reputation, spends the battle doing a variety of things. He serves as a protector for the wizards, all of whom exhaust their spells before the second darkness and continue in the battle using wands and staves from the treasury. He also adds spells of distraction and offense when needed and finally fighting a winged fiend, though Nisoru eventually helps him dispatch that opponent.

On the field the defenders eventually are broken into three groups. The first, well east of the Juggernaut and gate is centered on Damon and his giants.  They suffer terribly from the fiends fire spells and the barbarians flaming spears and arrows but the ice gnome clerics heal them quickly, knowing that each one is worth dozens of smaller soldiers.  After hours of battle a dwarven officer sends fifty of his warriors through the lines in a shield wall to the juggernaut. They smash the ends of the rollers using muscle and spells and soon begin passing boulders behind the lines to the giants. They in turn begin throwing them at point blank range into the horde, each inflicting terrible casualties.  Damon proves himself nearly unchallengeable. Any berserker who vaulted the dwarven  lines was instantly cut down and only once when a swarm of the winged brains seemed as if he would be overwhelmed. Asinjin's holy fire rescued him on that occasion. By the end of the battle dwarves, gnomes and humans took up the cry The White Mountain.

The second group forms around Arion, Ajax and the Knights. This group is the most disciplined, benefiting from the leadership and inspiration of those warriors but also because the soldiers are members of elite units inuding the Castle Guard and Diamond Brigades. In the early hours the soldiers fought in their own units and the Knights and paladins in a single block on their own, trying to break the enemy lines with their skill and mighty auras. The undead and berserkers proved largely immune to such magics (Ajax and Arion excepted) and held through the brief daylight. When the defenders were pushed back at great loss the knights and Arion separated and each joined one of the regular units. From then on their losses were far less severe.

There were exceptions among the heroes. Ajax rode back and forth along the lines, exhausting his spells and divine power against fiends and zombies and giving aid to weakened units.  Nisoru mounted Elayu and descended upon one berserker chieftain after another, cutting them each down in a flurry of katana strokes before remounting Elayu to seek another. In the air he challenged those fiends that dared to return, sending them all back to the infernal planes.

Arion tried to do the same but King Oliver brought him back to lead the castle guard. Their block never broke and wrought terrible damage against the Cavehome waves that came against them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:07:33 PM by whitesword »

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »
The last group, driven apart from Damon and his block, by a vanguard of the Hunters of Men, formed around Ari (and Astrek). This group was mostly ice gnomes and marines, with a handful of dwarves and two giants.  With their backs to the wreckage of the juggernaut. There they could rarely benefit from aid from battlements. Ari and Astrek cut down every challenger and never faltered.  No other warrior felled as many enemies with blades and skill alone as Ari.

Near ten in the evening the last of the zombies were destroyed and the fury of the barbarians was spent. Believing the defenders were in no condition to pursue them the barbarians began a swift retreat. Perhaps the long silence of the castle defenses had led them to believe they too were spent, or the believed the defenders would be content to let them melt into the darkness but as soon as they were clear of the defenders' lines the cannon and spell generators began to roar. Unobstructed by the doggedens or juggernaut, the artillery unleashed its full might on the fleeing horde. Few escaped into the night.