Author Topic: Matching Wits with a Shade  (Read 14206 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Matching Wits with a Shade
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:29:30 AM »
In the moments as we walk out of the hall and the cave, Asinjin analyzes as he walks.

He tries to determine what spells are being used to watch the and talk to them.

The Spellcraft DC to determine a spell whose effect you are experiencing directing (hearing his voice) is 20 + spell level.  My check is a +30, so I only miss on a 1...which is good because I rolled a 2.
So what spell, if any, is begin using to project his voice to us?

Along the same lines, how is he watching us?

Some possibilities: Scrye (unlikely as he would not have been able to see me), Clairvoyance and Clairaudience, Magic Mouth (unlikely, we would have seen it)

Also, he said he was 1000 feet from us, but in which direction did he say he was?

The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: Matching Wits with a Shade
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
"Ascelos, what is it you said you could pray for?  Which spells?"

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:25 AM »

Also, he said he was 1000 feet from us, but in which direction did he say he was?

He said he was 1000 ft down the other hallway out of the room with the Yugoloths(sp?)

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »
"Asinjin, when we get out of this," Parker deliberately looks down the hall, towards the vicinity where our talkative foe said he was, "And I do mean when," looking back at Asinjin, "we really need to finish enspelling the Mansion.  In fact, that spell might come in pretty handy right now..."  Parker gives you that hint-hint look

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »
"Parker, this is hardly the time for that."  cough cough

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »
He said he was 1000 ft down the other hallway out of the room with the Yugoloths(sp?)

"The tunnel we are about to go down?"

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
"Parker, this is hardly the time for that."  cough cough
"It might give us a minute to plan our next move."

"The tunnel we are about to go down?"
"Yes, unless there is another way out.  I can look when we get back into the chamber."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
When you (DM) said my floating disc winked out, was it dispelled?  Spellcraft result 36.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »
In the moments as we walk out of the hall and the cave, Asinjin analyzes as he walks.

He tries to determine what spells are being used to watch the and talk to them.

The Spellcraft DC to determine a spell whose effect you are experiencing directing (hearing his voice) is 20 + spell level.  My check is a +30, so I only miss on a 1...which is good because I rolled a 2.
So what spell, if any, is begin using to project his voice to us?

Along the same lines, how is he watching us?

Some possibilities: Scrye (unlikely as he would not have been able to see me), Clairvoyance and Clairaudience, Magic Mouth (unlikely, we would have seen it)

First: I had a clever name for this thread but I am willing to trade impatience for active posting.

Second : we will pick up at the point we stop here on the boards so xp will be awarded at the end of next session. Please keep track of current HP, spells used/duration etc.

You can: discuss with Ajax, attempt to find another way out, reengage Marius, and see to your wounds.

After you bring Leon to the larger chamber the cell block is sealed off by a wall of stone.  Leon in coated in slime and completely comatose. He is breathing.  Ajax has scraped off as much of the dry slime as he can. He does not appear to have been doused recently.

Asinjin can come up with a few possibilities: a magic mouth that you can't see, a projected image or some unknown ability related to the shadows.

He said he is about 1000 Yards down the other corridor. As soon as Ari steps to the mouth of that corridor he feels another overwhelming evil presence. All of this is accomplished in round one.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »
"Ascelos, what is it you said you could pray for?  Which spells?"
"Call me Ajax pleas good sir. I can pray for bolts of glory, sunbeams, searing rays, a crown of glory, the ability to make my sword holy and a long lasting radiance. When Stasis is freed of his struggle I will also be able to open a Gate to Mount Celestia.  Did you hear all of that shade?! I was made to be the end of things such as you!  Forgive me master wizard, I have been imprisoned before and I do not care for it; not at all." Round 2

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »
"Call me Ajax pleas good sir. I can pray for bolts of glory, sunbeams, searing rays, a crown of glory, the ability to make my sword holy and a long lasting radiance. When Stasis is freed of his struggle I will also be able to open a Gate to Mount Celestia.  Did you hear all of that shade?! I was made to be the end of things such as you!  Forgive me master wizard, I have been imprisoned before and I do not care for it; not at all." Round 2
The voice responds: " I heard but I knew all of that already Orc. You are strange creatures, the Orcs of this world. Most beholden to an uncaring power, short lived and still brutish. I suspect you will make fine slaves.  Tell me Parker, why the boy? Clearly he is who you sought. What value is he to you? Don't tell me stories of friendship or loyalty, they have no part in your character."
Parker and Asinjin's conversation is also in round 2. The above response is the beginning of round 3.  Are you moving or still in the chamber ?

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »
As soon as Ari steps to the mouth of that corridor he feels another overwhelming evil presence. All of this is accomplished in round one.
If Ari relays that information to the rest of us (and I see no reason that he wouldn't), Parker will ask "Powerful like this one here that looks like it lost a fight with a gnomish blender?  Because, if so, I think your scale needs adjusting."

Tell me Parker, why the boy? Clearly he is who you sought. What value is he to you? Don't tell me stories of friendship or loyalty, they have no part in your character."
"Oh, you know me, I'm all about the payout.  He owes me money."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »
Asinjin can come up with a few possibilities: a magic mouth that you can't see, a projected image or some unknown ability related to the shadows.

With his listen check, could Rubius determine the direction the voice was coming from?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
On the 2nd round we are walking (assuming it appears the tunnel ahead is large enough), I cast Phantom Steed.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
Are you moving or still in the chamber ?

At normal 30 feet per round speed.