Author Topic: Proposed New Feat  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: Proposed New Feat
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 11:59:43 AM »
So the proposal would be to swap the ranger’s current animal companion progression where effective druid level = 1/2 ranger level to effective druid level = ranger level.

Access to the special ability would not change, animal companion would still be gained at Ranger 4. And minimum level and associated level adjustments would apply as normal for alternative companions (e.g., ape at 4th level with a -3 adjustment).

I think this makes the ability much more functional for a relatively weak class. Non-casters need all the help they can get.
Agreed

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 02:07:29 PM »
Yes.. poking the DM

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 07:39:26 PM »
Looks like Pathfinder modified the ranger’s animal companion vs 3.5:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/Core-Classes/Ranger/#TOC-Hunter-s-Bond-Ex-

Changed to effective druid level=ranger level-3 instead of half. Better than 3.5, but I still like our suggestion of druid level=ranger level.

Side note. Also fun that PF modified the ranger’s combat style to include other options in addition to archery and TWF. That’s neat. I like the idea of having paths for rangers with thrown weapons (like Odde and his harpoon), natural attacks (makes sense for monstrous humanoid rangers like Vass) and mounted combat (perfect for Yellowian rangers).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 07:41:55 PM by Hero »

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2022, 10:09:31 PM »

Changed to effective druid level=ranger level-3 instead of half. Better than 3.5, but I still like our suggestion of druid level=ranger level.

Side note. Also fun that PF modified the ranger’s combat style to include other options in addition to archery and TWF. That’s neat. I like the idea of having paths for rangers with thrown weapons (like Odde and his harpoon), natural attacks (makes sense for monstrous humanoid rangers like Vass) and mounted combat (perfect for Yellowian rangers).
Rangers are terribly underpowered, so I agree that giving them full Druid animal companion abilities would be best. It makes perfect sense and is class appropriate.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 08:53:49 AM »

Those "Combat Styles" are really neat.  Some of them impact other Prestiges.  Or maybe we should lean into it.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2022, 06:10:38 PM »

Those "Combat Styles" are really neat.  Some of them impact other Prestiges.  Or maybe we should lean into it.
It’s a nice option. I would not add them all, just the couple that seem most relevant to rangers: mounted, throwing, natural attacks.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2022, 12:43:38 PM »
I like the idea.  One of the best things about rangers in 2nd edition was animal companions and I miss that.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »
With the implementation of fractional BAB, I was thinking of a possible new feat for Habaloly.  I'm not sure of all the details, but I was thinking something like this.  I'd need help from the DM's to balance it out, and of course DM Asinjin to approve it, but here's the general idea:

Trained Warrior or Combat Training or Battle Hardened
Prerequisites: None
Feats: None
Benefit: Add .25 to fractional BAB
Special: You can gain Trained Warrior multiple times.  It's effects stack, but cannot exceed the character's total level.  For example, a first level Cleric could take this feat to start with a total BAB of +1.  If the same character gains a level in Fighter, they could not take Trained Warrior as a bonus feat since this would exceed the total possible +2 BAB the 2nd level character could have.  If at 3rd level the character takes another level in Cleric, they could take Trained Warrior again for a total BAB of +3 since they are now third level.  This feat can be used to meet prerequisites for BAB since it is an actual BAB increase due to training and not any other type of enhancement.     
To the powers that be, have we made any decisions on this potential feat?  The thread eventually veered off into the Ranger's animal companion, which was approved, but I don't see anything else mentioning the original idea.  Just curious if this is approved, needs to be tweaked, or is being scrapped altogether.