House Rules > Darkness

Darkness

(1/2) > >>

Hero:
Anyone ever notice that the "Darkness" spell and its cousin "Deeper Darkness" don't actually create real darkness but rather "shadowy illumination"?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm

Shadowy illumination is that "dimly lit" area just outside an area of bright light but not quite pitch black. So that means "darkness" only reduces ambient light but doesn't eliminate it. It grants concealment (20% miss) instead of total concealment (creatures have to guess what square you're in and still have a 50% miss chance if they guess right).

And the way the description reads, if you cast "darkness" in an area of natural darkness you would actually be able to see because the spell creates shadowy illumination.

That's kind of weird, and I don't think that's how we've played it historically. Was this a 3.5 change, or has it always been like that and we just never noticed?

Should we change this so it makes sense?

whitesword:
Is there a higher level spell that creates true darkness?

Asinjin:
I didn't find a higher level spell that officially creates total darkness.

Zunder:

--- Quote from: Asinjin on August 09, 2012, 10:21:02 PM ---I didn't find a higher level spell that officially creates total darkness.

--- End quote ---

So the Drow abiltiy doesn't creat darkness.  I'm gonna re-read some Drizzit's books

Hero:
I think it was actually darkness in earlier editions.

Should be called "dimness" in 3.5.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version