Author Topic: Ship Construction  (Read 50487 times)

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Construction
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2018, 08:43:59 AM »
here is what I think the best image for the ship is:  135 ft long. 

alterations
  •   you chose castles.  so our ship will have a for and aft castle.  There is a dedicated gun desk, so this doesn't interfere with the castles, but catapult/crossbow placement can't be overlooked.
  • your sail setup will be different on the fore mast
<-- CLICK ON THAT LITTLE F HERE! FORUM WON'T LET ME APPLY H / W TO IMAGE ARRGH!!!

grumbles about this forum.  This album contains internal side view.

Here is the link to the album

https://imgur.com/a/tw6ux

length - 125 ft.
beam (width) - 35 ft
keel (height) - 72 ft.
death of hold  - 14 ft.

poop deck - a top the aft castle, contains the mizzen mast
quarter deck - a top the fore castle.
main deck or action deck - remaining exposed main deck
gun deck - where the gun are, where the crew sleep
berth deck - mostly below the water line, where everything else on the ship is
hold - giant place for supplies.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:01:07 AM by Zunder »

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »
Brain dump:
  • Lyre of Building - Is Chase picking this up?
  • Can Claude alchemically protect the ship from fire? I feel like this was discussed before in the lost thread.
  • Banner of the Storm's Eye (MIC)  will help with fear effects
  • Any way to get nondetection on the ship so we can't be tracked?
  • Maybe make the capt's quarters a scry proof room
  • We should buy potions in bulk. Healing, restoration, waterbreathing, fly.

I do remember talking about Claude being able to protect the ship from fire.
I also remember talking about the banner for fear or maybe that was just Claude's banner.
The other ideas are good.  I think we can look at them after we get the other pricing done and see how much we have left.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »

grumbles about this forum.  This album contains internal side view.

Here is the link to the album

https://imgur.com/a/tw6ux

length - 125 ft.
beam (width) - 35 ft
keel (height) - 72 ft.
death of hold  - 14 ft.

poop deck - a top the aft castle, contains the mizzen mast
quarter deck - a top the fore castle.
main deck or action deck - remaining exposed main deck
gun deck - where the gun are, where the crew sleep
berth deck - mostly below the water line, where everything else on the ship is
hold - giant place for supplies.

I love the picture of the ship.  It is nice to have the dimensions.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »

<-- CLICK ON THAT LITTLE F HERE! FORUM WON'T LET ME APPLY H / W TO IMAGE ARRGH!!!

Fixed - (max H/W was set to 10x10  changed to 150x150)

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
Fixed - (max H/W was set to 10x10  changed to 150x150)

LOL.. i was wondering why, Thanks!!

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »
 outside view:

internals

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2018, 11:14:04 AM »
As you visit Gnobel over the days unique things you notice about the ship:

The beams and keel are smaller then you would have expected.  On closer inspection you realize they are multiple thin layers of wood glued together alternating grain patterns in the premium wood purchased for the project.  Gnimitz explains that Claude provided a glue that made the resulting beam stronger then anything he's ever seen.  Gnimitz kept using the word Lamignoming for the process. 

There bow seems to be slightly more extended and raked then you are used to, having a little bit of a waist in the front before becoming more standard farther down.  (it's pointier then normal) Gnimitz explains when asked about lateral drag along the length of the ship.  He details a little to much and you loose focus as he picks up a little piece of string and a fountain pen trying to explain it like you a gnome child, folding the string in waves along a spare piece of wood.  Failing miserably.  But he finishes with " it's not for ramming ok!" 

At one point you notice massive temporary "kiln" build on premises where some process is done on the lumber to harden it.  It sits in there for a long time in something the workers call curing.  Claude giggling with glee as he advises the group of gnomish builders.

As the planking is attached to the ship you see clickers being used to shape the wood to what might be called "pathological precision".  Gnomes use calipers to check, double, and triple check each piece.  The hyper focus of the Gnomes' is second to none as the fuss over each timber. Each plank then fitted to the ship making a perfect seal without the usual use of traditional ship caulking (http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skills/index.php/en/wood/caulking-calking/) Each plank is then caulked as double protection.  The resulting external hull is smoother then you thought possible.  When sealed with a protective layer it gleams and shines almost like mithril.  Many workers stare at their master piece for hours in a massive feeling of pride.

Near the extra wide rudder, which is also several pieces Lanignomated wood, glued together you see little wings around the aft of the ship almost like the ridges of a crown turn on it's side.  These are explained as hydro-abatement ridges for drag, allowing the rudder to perform better.  Also suggesting that if you have something hanging out down here, a good place would be by these ridges.

At Some point two of the workers gets married and asks if it's ok, and if Armari can preside over the union on the ship.. feeling like this ship is their first child.

It appears that all the enclosures below or at the water line are also made water tight.  The hold, and individual room on the berth deck and be sealed to prevent sinking.  Gnimitz explains that it won't hold long, they aren't pressure doors, but they will slow down the leak enough to allow you to sail her home.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:25:07 AM by Zunder »

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2018, 11:19:29 AM »
Veronica does work on the ship during the build, helping the gnomes with more of a creative feel as she pads railings, and designs fabrics for the inside of the ship. 

She looks you all over with as smile sitting in the middle of massive sails the shimmer in the sun.  She checks the seams as they curl around her almost like water in waves pools..  " These might be the greatest sails known on the seas, you really don't need a sail maker with these.  They aren't going to rip, or burn, there isn't much use for little old me"

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2018, 11:20:42 AM »
close to the end.. Gno calls a meeting.

" Ok, it's time, I need a color scheme, and a figure head.. She needs a NAME"

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2018, 12:12:23 PM »
close to the end.. Gno calls a meeting.

" Ok, it's time, I need a color scheme, and a figure head.. She needs a NAME"

Valdis sugests "How about the 'Cormerant'.  I heard some sailors talking about this bird that flies, but can also dive under the water.  Seems appropriate, if a little on the nose."

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2018, 12:16:15 PM »
I am still trying to remember some of the names that we came up with before.

Also I want to make sure the crew we are taking with are who they say they are.  Since we are hiring an elite crew then I want recommendation for reach of our crew.  I also want to hire an investigator to do background checks on each of them and make sure they are who they claim to be.  We haven't kept the fact that we are building a ship secret but the details of magic items etc. I would like to keep a little more secret.  As best I can I want to make sure the crew will not spill this information to wrong people which is why I want to do a check on them before we let them on to the ship and give them details about the ship.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »

Also I want to make sure the crew we are taking with are who they say they are.  Since we are hiring an elite crew then I want recommendation for reach of our crew.  I also want to hire an investigator to do background checks on each of them and make sure they are who they claim to be.  We haven't kept the fact that we are building a ship secret but the details of magic items etc. I would like to keep a little more secret.  As best I can I want to make sure the crew will not spill this information to wrong people which is why I want to do a check on them before we let them on to the ship and give them details about the ship.

Gnoble shipping is building her inside, with security.  While you can't hid giant shipments of wood, a lot of the techniques are proprietary.  Gno is hoping this turns out to be very profitable, and is making her close to cost.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »

I assume you have basic divination going for all interviews.  Hiring an investigator to look into each of the near hundred crew will be costly, and you don't have enough time before you set sail, seeing as how the interviews are within two weeks of leaving.

You could pay a lot of money for magical investigation and get it done.  Amari suggests, "How about you clerics cast some communes, divinations, and other prayers to ask in general if the crew is good and if we are making any errors in who we take."
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »
"She needs a NAME"
Millennium Talpan
Enterprise (We're the flagship and we seek profit.  A nice little pun on a classic name.  Maybe better suited if Natsu was allowed to sponsor the ship. ;))
Nautical By Nature
Leviathan
Ocean's Pride
Manifest Destiny

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
I assume you have basic divination going for all interviews.  Hiring an investigator to look into each of the near hundred crew will be costly, and you don't have enough time before you set sail, seeing as how the interviews are within two weeks of leaving.

You could pay a lot of money for magical investigation and get it done.  Amari suggests, "How about you clerics cast some communes, divinations, and other prayers to ask in general if the crew is good and if we are making any errors in who we take."

That sounds good.  I get Pierre to help us with that and ask the high cleric of Lakius if he has anytime to divine some of this information.  Does Claude have enough cleric levels because we can ask him to help too.