Author Topic: What Hides in the Shadows  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
What Hides in the Shadows
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:40:10 AM »
XP will be given after the fight.  Make note of spells active and what is available given your negative levels.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: What Hides in the Shadows
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:56:21 AM »
It doesn't matter to me what decision we make on the negative level.  I can see an argument either way.  I know DM didn't expect a negative level attack to do damage and that is how it was in second edition.  I didn't expect the level drain to do damage either.  We could house rule that losing negative levels does damage but can only reduce you to zero but never kills you.  If not then no big deal Saladien is dead and DM and I will come up with some character for me to play next week.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:09:37 AM »
Negative Levels
An affected opponent takes a –1 penalty on all skill checks and ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, and loses 5 hit points and one effective level or Hit Die (whenever level is used in a die roll or calculation) for each negative level. A spellcaster loses one spell slot of the highest level of spells she can cast and (if applicable) one prepared spell of that level. If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses. A psionic character loses access to one power per negative level from the highest level of power he can manifest; he also loses a number of power points equal to the cost of that power. If two or more powers fit these criteria, the manifester decides which one becomes inaccessible. This loss persists until the negative level is removed. Negative levels remain until 24 hours have passed or until they are removed with a spell, such as restoration. If a negative level is not removed before 24 hours have passed, the affected creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 draining creature’s racial HD + draining creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). On a success, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. On a failure, the negative level goes away, but the creature’s level is also reduced by one. A separate saving throw is required for each negative level.
A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:04:34 AM »
Yes it is clearly written in the rules of the game that the HP is lost.  So he would be dead. This would be a change based on second edition rules that we have done before with a few spells.  I could see an arguement  for keeping the rules as they are or changing them to be more like second edition.  I don’t care either way.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
So, it's a -6 to my attacks.  Which would mean I would loose my third attack. (right?) 

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:38:25 AM »
Is Haas there? Who are we fighting?

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »

Haas was intending to leave for Jaswap after the council meeting ended.  Not sure how far he got.  Balinhost was attacked by 10 groups of Shades or Wights.  These attacks were a distraction from the true target, one of the council members.  we didn't know which one so we all ran to our respective charges to warn/guard them.  The Swanmay Cleric was attacked by a shadow beast.  Saladine was there and tried to protect her.  He absorbed a bunch of damage for her and the cleric transformed into a giant swan to carry the unconscious (and dying) Saladine away from the threat.  The shadow creature chased after them.  The Cleric flew around Balinhost and found each of us in turn.  Some of us tried to fight it and the creature took some damage.  The last person the Cleric found was Valizar who, upon seeing the shadow creature, enlarged.  The creature stopped and dissipated into mist.  We gathered together with the Cleric to see if everyone was ok.  The Cleric thought we had chased the creature away, Grant was not convinced.  He said as much out loud and kept looking around with his blindsight.  The creature answered that Grant was correct, it had not left, then drained everyone of some levels. 

That is where we stopped

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
I don't believe Haas is with us at the moment.  He went back to Jaswap.  I guess this is kind of a pseudo-recap since we're in mid-battle.

We met with our allies to form a strategy on how to deal with the agents of Scalehome.  We decided to help Leonard Telltale, the mayor of Owt, and quash the siege going on there.  Once we deal with that issue, we planned on turning our attention to the forest getting turned into a swamp and take out the swamp wurm.  After that, we may try to go after the Weathersingers.  Either freeing them of the fear/mind control that may be forcing them into using their powers against us, or killing them if need be.

We were done with the meeting and doing our thing when we heard an alarm outside of our meeting place.  We answered the call and found a globe of darkness surrounding a building.  Grant went in and saw a bunch of dead Firiloni and was instantly surrounded by shadowy figures.  He defeated them, but not before being drained of strength. 

Multiple alarms were then heard all throughout the city.  We drug out the dead bodies and brought them to a Cleric of Celetal for safe keeping.  We were intercepted by an animal messenger (bird) that told us we were caught up in a distraction and that the real threat was much worse.  We were told to go to those we were tasked with guarding in order to keep them safe.  We separated to find our people, and while doing so, Saladien and the Swanme cleric were attacked by a giant shadowy cloud and Saladien was brought to the brink of death.  The creature cast mirror image and all hell broke loose.  The cleric turned into a swan, grabbed unconscious Saladien, then flew away.

Once we all got to our people and regrouped, the shadowy figure attacked us all.  Vor'ruk charged it at one point, but only destroyed one of it's mirror images.  Ash is peppering it with arrows from afar and Valizar managed to enlarge and cast Mighty Wallop before being drained of 6 levels.  The creature revealed itself as some sort of shadow dragon.  We thought we had made it flee only to find out is simply disappated into mist and reformed behind us all.

We're now face to face with this thing and we're all in a world of hurt.  If Valizar doesn't make it, please avenge me.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »
Haas was intending to leave for Jaswap after the council meeting ended.  Not sure how far he got.  Balinhost was attacked by 10 groups of Shades or Wights.  These attacks were a distraction from the true target, one of the council members.  we didn't know which one so we all ran to our respective charges to warn/guard them.  The Swanmay Cleric was attacked by a shadow beast.  Saladine was there and tried to protect her.  He absorbed a bunch of damage for her and the cleric transformed into a giant swan to carry the unconscious (and dying) Saladine away from the threat.  The shadow creature chased after them.  The Cleric flew around Balinhost and found each of us in turn.  Some of us tried to fight it and the creature took some damage.  The last person the Cleric found was Valizar who, upon seeing the shadow creature, enlarged.  The creature stopped and dissipated into mist.  We gathered together with the Cleric to see if everyone was ok.  The Cleric thought we had chased the creature away, Grant was not convinced.  He said as much out loud and kept looking around with his blindsight.  The creature answered that Grant was correct, it had not left, then drained everyone of some levels. 

That is where we stopped

25xp for that recap

More xp for whoever can recap the meeting results.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
I don't believe Haas is with us at the moment.  He went back to Jaswap.  I guess this is kind of a pseudo-recap since we're in mid-battle.

We met with our allies to form a strategy on how to deal with the agents of Scalehome.  We decided to help Leonard Telltale, the mayor of Owt, and quash the siege going on there.  Once we deal with that issue, we planned on turning our attention to the forest getting turned into a swamp and take out the swamp wurm.  After that, we may try to go after the Weathersingers.  Either freeing them of the fear/mind control that may be forcing them into using their powers against us, or killing them if need be.

We were done with the meeting and doing our thing when we heard an alarm outside of our meeting place.  We answered the call and found a globe of darkness surrounding a building.  Grant went in and saw a bunch of dead Firiloni and was instantly surrounded by shadowy figures.  He defeated them, but not before being drained of strength. 

Multiple alarms were then heard all throughout the city.  We drug out the dead bodies and brought them to a Cleric of Celetal for safe keeping.  We were intercepted by an animal messenger (bird) that told us we were caught up in a distraction and that the real threat was much worse.  We were told to go to those we were tasked with guarding in order to keep them safe.  We separated to find our people, and while doing so, Saladien and the Swanme cleric were attacked by a giant shadowy cloud and Saladien was brought to the brink of death.  The creature cast mirror image and all hell broke loose.  The cleric turned into a swan, grabbed unconscious Saladien, then flew away.

Once we all got to our people and regrouped, the shadowy figure attacked us all.  Vor'ruk charged it at one point, but only destroyed one of it's mirror images.  Ash is peppering it with arrows from afar and Valizar managed to enlarge and cast Mighty Wallop before being drained of 6 levels.  The creature revealed itself as some sort of shadow dragon.  We thought we had made it flee only to find out is simply disappated into mist and reformed behind us all.

We're now face to face with this thing and we're all in a world of hurt.  If Valizar doesn't make it, please avenge me.

25 xp

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »

That is where we stopped
Sorry, I wasn't trying to steal your thunder.  I must've been typing my recap when you were typing yours.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »

After the Summit, most of those in attendance planned their departure.  Haas was able to travel magically, so he left directly.  Everyone else is still in Balinhost proper.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
Any chance that Haas might have left a Refuge token with Grant or Valizar to summon him back in the event of trouble?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
Any chance that Haas might have left a Refuge token with Grant or Valizar to summon him back in the event of trouble?

That is fine, it costs 1500gc.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
Note that we will roll initiative at the start of the session.