Author Topic: We'll Settle for Talking with Plants  (Read 10147 times)

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
Re: We'll Settle for Talking with Plants
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
Marcus groans from atop his carpet.  "Fantastic.  Brilliant even.  Between our combined intellect, we have figured out that spells that have durations that last hours gets the notice of the followers of the God of Lost Knowledge.  What do you decide to do with this knowledge?!?!  'Oh, let us case a bunch of spells that last several hours and SIT ON THEM.'  I swear, by every god on the council, do none of you think past the next six seconds?"

Shondo stares at Marcus then giggles... " Ralph thinks your funny ".. You've all noticed that Ralph is dead.. as he drowned in the Tsunami!

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
Before we leave this immediate area, after the bark-skinned giants leave, Haze will look around the area at the ones we defeated for a piece of one that can be used as a staff for Marcus

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 03:36:35 PM »
Before we leave this immediate area, after the bark-skinned giants leave, Haze will look around the area at the ones we defeated for a piece of one that can be used as a staff for Marcus

You find that other than a bark exterior, the interior of the giants in human like and not suitable to a staff.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 07:49:13 PM »
You find that other than a bark exterior, the interior of the giants in human like and not suitable to a staff.

Then Haze will find a suitable tree branch instead

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »
Marcus groans from atop his carpet.  "Fantastic.  Brilliant even.  Between our combined intellect, we have figured out that spells that have durations that last hours gets the notice of the followers of the God of Lost Knowledge.  What do you decide to do with this knowledge?!?!  'Oh, let us cast a bunch of spells that last several hours and SIT ON THEM.'  I swear, by every god on the council, do none of you think past the next six seconds?"
Perhaps it is because my meager brain does not process information as effectively as your superior intellect, oh Supreme Sorcerer of Overwhelming Power, but haven't you been casting multiple, long duration spells of low level every night and sleeping in them? The watchers have not appeared then. As I recall, they showed up as Cloud tried to cast one high level spell over a dozen times. I believe it is the power of the magic that draws their attention. But like I said, maybe I am wrong because I am not as smart as one such as yourself. Please share with us the data on which your expert mind has based the conclusion that the watchers are attracted to spells with long durations. [takes out his notebook and waits].

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
Perhaps it is because my meager brain does not process information as effectively as your superior intellect, oh Supreme Sorcerer of Overwhelming Power, but haven't you been casting multiple, long duration spells of low level every night and sleeping in them? The watchers have not appeared then. As I recall, they showed up as Cloud tried to cast one high level spell over a dozen times. I believe it is the power of the magic that draws their attention. But like I said, maybe I am wrong because I am not as smart as one such as yourself. Please share with us the data on which your expert mind has based the conclusion that the watchers are attracted to spells with long durations. [takes out his notebook and waits].
You are correct, you are not as smart as the rest of us.  Perhaps your meager brain does not remember the events of last night, when I created several of those shelters.  In the morning when we awoke, there was one less.  We can infer from this that we 1) indeed had visitors, 2) They were drawn by the longevity of the spell, not the magnitude of its power.

Though you may indeed work in and around a hub of magical activity and confluence, you are ever apart from it.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »
With a speed of 240 and flying when cast by Cloud (assuming he has the spell), you could reach the mountains in 6 days (that assumes you travel on them 10 hours a day, which since no one can actually ride well is probably the limit of what you can reasonably do).  The flyers are far slower, so you would need one for the two carpet riders and Oira.  That's 8 spells per day.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »
That is too many spell slots.  So let's stick with the original plan to take about 2 weeks to get through the forest  by teleporting and walking.   I guess if everything goes smoothly maybe we can start discussing how to get over the mountains to save us time the next time we play.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 08:10:51 PM »
With few better options and debate having gone as far as it can, you settle upon traveling by foot / carpet for a day and then teleporting.  By this method, it takes you two week to reach the mountains.

In that time, you encounter only as many humans as you want to meet.  The giants leave you alone, unless you wish to talk to them.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »
As you near the mountains, you can see that they are grey and ragged.  They have little vegetation growing on them and the rise out of the ground quickly as if some angry deity split the earth by driving them into upward.

The tops are covered in mist and cloud and they appear to rise very high.  However, reflection tells you that the mountains are not extremely high, but seem rather higher because of the lack of slope leading up to them.

You will not be able to see far from the top at this point, so that you can easily teleport to the other side.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »
How high do we have to fly before we see over them?  Is the mist naturally there or will it clear up? 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 02:07:51 AM »
How high do we have to fly before we see over them?  Is the mist naturally there or will it clear up?

It is natural, it will clear at some point for you to see.  Based on Cloud's knowledge in that arena, probably nor more than three days.

If you fly high enough to see over them, they will obscure your view of what is below at a distance.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »
I say we wait in the relative safety of the forest.  Then when it clears up we teleport over the mountains.  I don't even want to stop on them if we can avoid it.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »
I say we wait in the relative safety of the forest.  Then when it clears up we teleport over the mountains.  I don't even want to stop on them if we can avoid it.
Agreed

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 01:06:39 PM »
Agreed

I will give until tomorrow for any objections before I continue.

Still feel free to ask any questions of the humans or giants.