Author Topic: Bad Company  (Read 11510 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: Bad Company
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »
Who delivered this message originally?  To where?
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »
Who delivered this message originally?  To where?
It came in the royal mail. Addressed to the sergeant.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »
Return address?

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »
Are there any employees that remain in the warehouse at night? Are there any private guards?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »
Return address?
No just a sheet of paper sealed with wax on both ends and at the flap

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
"Does anyone thing this is Cobis' work?"

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:53 PM »
Perhaps Vasili might be able to tell us something about the note or its author?

I can definitely tell you who the author was...  I just need a couple minutes.

I take the letter, and "read object".  That should tell me who the previous owner of the paper was.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 06:29:41 PM »
"Does anyone thing this is Cobis' work?"
The sergeant shakes his head.  Cobus will let us know, and will never let us forget, when he has rendered us aid.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »

I can definitely tell you who the author was...  I just need a couple minutes.

I take the letter, and "read object".  That should tell me who the previous owner of the paper was.
The owner of the letter is a 15 year old Horarian boy, LG in alignment who placed it in a box.  He is the only "owner".

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 07:47:17 PM »
About three weeks after the first letter another is hand delivered to the sergeant.

Gentlemen,

My efforts on your behalf have not bourn the fruit I expected but may prove helpful to you none the less.  First, Mr. Ashstaff consorts with criminals, and not of the ordinary decent sort.  He clearly has dealings with the Onice and in particular one fugitive you are most interested in: Rugelleun Marfanz.  I saw Ashstaff and Marfanz with my own eyes at the perfumerie two weeks ago.  Marfanz has grown a long beard and top knot but as I make an effort to recognize people who torture and kill for entertainment I had no difficulty in penetrating his disguise.  To a less experienced observer it is fairly convincing.

Second, I have identified four women that Charlene was known to be close with after she went to work at Lady Luxuries.  Despite every effort, short of violence or possession, three of the four swear to having no memory of Charlene.  By way of an experiment I questioned them about significant local events such as Master Stormmoon's murder, the prize fight between the Sledgehammer and Firepeak champion at the arena and the exposure of the Onice ring.  All were events that any subject living in the city would know of and none claimed to have any memory.  One girl tried to make something up to placate me, as I said there was no violence, but it was obvious fabrication.  It is my opinion that their memories have been tampered with and in a very effective way. 

That leaves the fourth girl.  Crincos keeps her as a pet.  She is always by her side and is no longer available to customers at LL.  Her name is Lena.

Alas, now for the bad news.  First I fear that my efforts have not gone unnoticed.  The third man I sent to obtain Lena's services was bound and gagged and interrogated for over an hour regarding who sent him.  As I did not send him directly he could not have reported my name but the intermediary has likely been traced back to me by now.  It will be expensive to have the man's eyes and tongue regenerated so feel free to make a contribution at the shrine of Tyrogatore next time you are there.

Second, I can find no other link between Anolion and Ashstaff.  Anolion and Ashstaff each own over a dozen businesses but the Wonderword is the only one where both names appear.  Interestingly other prominent people's names appear on their other charters.  While most of those names will cost you, Master Stormmoon's name appears on one of Ashstaff's.  However I believe this to be a forgery as it was chartered only a few months before his death.

To end on a high, or at least neutral note, Ashstaff has hired more men to work the docks in the next few months, particularly near the end of Trest.  Some of these men are your usual grunts, but others are clearly people with a connection to less than honorable activities.

C
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:04:19 PM by whitesword »

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
Anything you wish to accomplish on the boards must be done tonight (obviously) before another jump forward.  Assume you have all the time you need to investigate.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
Is that the same Marfanz that's on the Kingdom's "most wanted" list?

Isn't there a High Marshall responsible for these kinds of things that we should inform?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »
Is that the same Marfanz that's on the Kingdom's "most wanted" list?

Isn't there a High Marshall responsible for these kinds of things that we should inform?
The sergeant says : Yes.  His last known location is Phiam so they are already looking for him here.  But if we get information as to where he is I will try to get word to (sigh) the acting first deputy.  There is good news for us in that however.  If we have reason to believe he will be present we can be fully armed.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 12:00:08 AM »
Little comes to pass in the days following Cobus' note.  News of the war dominates all conversation in the city and people are restless.  Simple bar fights become stabbings and you are called out every night to make arrests.

In the first week of Trest a new note arrives, again from Cobus.

Ashstaff and Lena have left the city for Messada.  No known date of return.

C

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »
Then only days later, as news of the siege of the Elven fortress begins to spread another note, this time not from Cobus.

An'Kel is traveling in disguise from Colonye.  He should reach Phiam by the 21st of Trest.  He is lightly disguised.  His skin is dark like an Intorian and his head is shaved.  He dresses in maroon and carries a captain's sword but otherwise resembles a merchant.  Do not underestimate him, he is a killer and will be well protected.  I am attempting to identify the ship that will take him out of the city, as I doubt he will risk a journey overland with whatever cargo is so precious to bring him here once again.

Be ready.

The note is printed and sealed but the print appears different than before.