Author Topic: It Was a Very Good Plan  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
It Was a Very Good Plan
« on: June 14, 2019, 12:21:10 AM »
For a quality plan executed well that almost worked, everyone gets 500xp.

In addition, for the battle:

Rathos gets another 500.
Everyone else gets another 900.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: It Was a Very Good Plan
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:21:28 AM »
Bonus xp for a recap for Owen.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »
Recap:

We followed through with the plan that Cordero set in motion.  Our courier went to see Hognus' show with the fake pilot schematics in tow, all the while remaining visible to whoever may be watching.  He made his way to the hotel we used as our rendezvous point and delivered the plans to Cordero, who we used as our "pilot."

The group followed and watched the entire time the messenger was at the show and during his walk to the hotel.  Rathos took to the rooftops and perched himself above Cordero's room.  Arken and Larissa waited outside and Owen used his floating disk to rise out of sight.

After a while, a bat flew by the roof and fluttered around Cordero's window.  Larissa sent her psicrystal up to check on Cordero and Rathos communicated to it that there was some activity.  Those outside noticed a Gnome walk in the hotel and shortly after things got ugly.

Unknown to those outside, Cordero found himself being woken up by getting choked with a bag over his head.  He tried to fight off the attacker, but was overpowered.  He ended up throwing his axe threw the window which acted as an alarm.  Rathos saw what was happening, told the psicrystal so that Larissa would know, then dove through the open window to try and save Cordero.     

Larissa aported into the room and Arken entered the building on foot, warhammer drawn.  Once in the room, she saw Cordero being held by his head above the ground by a large, furry, three-eyed, horned beast.  It was poised to press its thumbs into Cordero's eye sockets.  Artemus got a good sneak attack in on the assailant, but it didn't seem to phase it.  Larissa tried to stop it with psionic abilities, but the fight was going poorly.

Outside in the hallway, near the staircase leading to the room, Arken was suddenly accosted by 4 giant wasps that appeared to be summoned in front of him.  He pulled out his psionically charged rockshot and blasted them back to whatever plane of existence they came from.  Shortly after, Larissa aported next to him in the hallway looking beat up and explaining what was happening to Cordero. 

Meanwhile, in the room, Rathos and Cordero were fighting to stay alive and avoid grapple attempts when the beast scared Rathos and he was forced to flee out the window.  Cordero was alone and near death.

At that time, the gnome who entered the building appeared and invisibly snuck a dagger into Arken's kidney.  The blow was near fatal, but Arken managed to stumble through the attack.  The gnome took out a wand and summoned giant centipedes.  Arken and Larissa defended the hallway as best as they could, but were quickly fading until Larissa summoned a psionic construct and used some nifty powers to destroy the creatures.  We took the fight to the gnome, but he changed into a displacer beast, kicked our asses, then withdrew to the outside of the building.

Rathos eventually regained his cool and went back to assist Cordero.  Again he found him in a gruesome choke hold, and again he snuck him with deadly accuracy.  This time the creature felt it as Rathos' weapon slid out of it's gut dripping with silver blood.  It tossed Cordero out the window.

The fight eventually took us outside where Cordero recovered from the assault.  We all faced off against the beast who was now invisible, when out of nowhere, Rathos was struck by a devastating electrically charged blast.  He fell to the ground and as left for dead.  The rest of us engaged the two, but the gnome/displacer beast got its tentacles around Arken and brought him to the brink of death.  Cordero managed to squeeze off a magic missile and Larissa held her own.  The beast was preparing to finish us off when Rathos popped back up off the ground and landed a killing blow...or so we thought.  The creature turned to purple mist and floated away.  The gnome avoided attacks thanks to his displacer beast form and withdrew into the city.  After the assault, the constables showed up and started firing weapons at some of the summoned creatures still around, like a giant flaming bird.  We picked up our broken bodies and fled back to our HQ to avoid the authorities. 

Flash forward to the current timeline...       
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:11:00 PM by Asinjin »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
Recap:

We followed through with the plan that Cordero set in motion.  Our currier went to see Hognus' show with the fake pilot schematics in tow, all the while remaining visible to whoever may be watching.  He made his way to the hotel we used as our rendezvous point and delivered the plans to Cordero, who we used as our "pilot."

The group followed and watched the entire time the messenger was at the show and during his walk to the hotel.  Artemus took to the rooftops and perched himself above Cordero's room.  Arken and Larissa waited outside and Owen used his floating disk to rise out of sight.

After a while, a bat flew by the roof and fluttered around Cordero's window.  Larissa sent her psicrystal up to check on Cordero and Artemus communicated to it that there was some activity.  Those outside noticed a Gnome walk in the hotel and shortly after things got ugly.

Unknown to those outside, Cordero found himself being woken up by getting choked with a bag over his head.  He tried to fight off the attacker, but was overpowered.  He ended up throwing his axe threw the window which acted as an alarm.  Artemus saw what was happening, told the psicrystal so that Larissa would know, then dove through the open window to try and save Cordero.     

Larissa aported into the room and Arken entered the building on foot, warhammer drawn.  Once in the room, they both saw Cordero being held by his head above the ground by a large, furry, three-eyed, horned beast.  It was poised to press its thumbs into Cordero's eye sockets.  Artemus got a good sneak attack in on the assailant, but it didn't seem to phase it.  Larissa tried to stop it with psionic abilities, but the fight was going poorly.

Outside in the hallway, near the staircase leading to the room, Arken was suddenly accosted by 4 giant bugs that appeared to be summoned in front of him.  He pulled out his psionically charged rockshot and blasted them back to whatever plane of existence they came from.  Shortly after, Larissa aported next to him in the hallway looking beat up and explaining what was happening to Cordero. 

Meanwhile, in the room, Artemus and Cordero were fighting to stay alive and avoid grapple attempts when the beast scared Artemus and he was forced to flee out the window.  Cordero was alone and near death.

At that time, the gnome who entered the building appeared and invisibly snuck a dagger into Arken's kidney.  The blow was near fatal, but Arken managed to stumble through the attack.  The gnome took out a wand and summoned giant centipedes.  Arken and Larissa defended the hallway as best as they could, but were quickly fading until Larissa summoned a psionic construct and used some nifty powers to destroy the creatures.  We took the fight to the gnome, but he changed into a displacer beast, kicked our asses, then withdrew to the outside of the building.

Artemus eventually regained his cool and went back to assist Cordero.  Again he found him in a gruesome choke hold, and again he snuck him with deadly accuracy.  This time the creature felt it as Artemus' weapon slid out of it's gut dripping with silver blood.  It tossed Cordero out the window.

The fight eventually took us outside where Cordero recovered from the assault.  We all faced off against the beast who was now invisible, when out of nowhere, Artemus was struck by a devastating electrically charged blast.  He fell to the ground and as left for dead.  The rest of us engaged the two, but the gnome/displacer beast got its tentacles around Arken and brought him to the brink of death.  Cordero managed to squeeze off a magic missile and Larissa held her own.  The beast was preparing to finish us off when Artemus popped back up off the ground and landed a killing blow...or so we thought.  The creature turned to purple mist and floated away.  The gnome avoided attacks thanks to his displacer beast form and withdrew into the city.  After the assault, the constables showed up and started firing weapons at some of the summoned creatures still around, like a giant flaming bird.  We picked up our broken bodies and fled back to our HQ to avoid the authorities. 

Flash forward to the current timeline...     

75xp for the extensive recap

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »
What happens with Owen? I need closure!

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »
What happens with Owen? I need closure!

About 14 emails into the chain to determine what he did...its interesting.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
About 14 emails into the chain to determine what he did...its interesting.

Email chain in the 20s, that should worry everyone else...

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
No but I need closure like Hero.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
Emails complete.  After you disperse, you hear commotion in the background where the battle took place and some gun fire.

Where and when do you meet up again?

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »
Emails complete.  After you disperse, you hear commotion in the background where the battle took place and some gun fire.

Where and when do you meet up again?
We should probably meet back up at Gneon's place so we can fill him in on what we discovered.  If he's feeling generous, he might even offer up some healing to those of us in dire need.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 05:40:56 PM »
We should probably meet back up at Gneon's place so we can fill him in on what we discovered.  If he's feeling generous, he might even offer up some healing to those of us in dire need.

Right after the events or after you sleep?

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 05:58:21 PM »
I like the idea of going their right away.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »
I like the idea of going their right away.
Agreed, right away.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 09:50:56 PM »
Agreed, right away.

Its around 300am when you all make it back to the restaurant where you met Gnester.  It is closed for the night.

All five of you (Owen included) arrive safely.

Owen can tell you what he saw.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 12:06:27 AM »
Owen arrives a little after the rest of you, flipping his stone in one hand and carrying a staff in the other.
“So, it looks like we all had a busy night.  By Smofarf’s short curlies, that is one slippery devil. I had him too. I got too full of myself there at the end I guess. Anyway, you all seem to have had a rough time of it so I think I get the gist of what happened to you. He kicked your collective asses, hard. Well, here’s how things went on my end. You see, I didn’t put much stock in your little plan. When I ‘took my position above’ I really put myself above an advantageous spot between you lot and the real pilot.  I heard some commotion at the hotel where you had set up your ‘most cunning plan’ (gratuitous use of air quotes). For a brief moment, I thought ‘ by All the gods, the idiots plan worked’ then I saw a Displacer Beast running from your location towards the real pilots residence.   Now, I don’t know if any of you know this,  it Displacer Beasts are opportunistic hunters. They will go for the weakest prey in the underdark first. This one didn’t at a fury little eye at any of the citizens that ran screaming from it. I knew it was no natural beast. I hurled a few spells at it that seemed to have no effect. So I had to dip into my more powerful spells and get skittle creative. The beast rounded a corner with me in hot pursuit and I hit it with a ray spell. Lo and behold I had knocked it out, or so I thought. As I got closer I could see that the beast had turned into a gnome. I lowered myself on my stone to gather the would be assassin when he jumped up and stuck me with his dagger.” At this point Owen produces a dagger from a pouch on his belt. “I decided then and there that turn about was indeed fair play and so I brought forth a Displacer Beast of my own and it knocked the gnome out. I collected the now truly unconscious gnome and had my Displacer beast sit on its chest for good measure. As I returned to the hotel you all were at, I began to draw a crowd. The Displacer Beast unnerved some of the citizens and more than a few of the guards, so I dismissed it t. As I was convincing the guards help me with the gnome, the gnome took the opportunity to roll off my stone, turn into a bird and fly away. I gave chase as the bird rounded a corner and turned invisible. I cast an area dispel magic in front of the fleeing invisible gnome/bird and a human fell out of the air. Before I could catch up to it, the human ducked into a nearby home. I cast a few spells to try to keep it contained while I called for and waited for the guards to show up. All of a sudden 5 dire hippogrifs and 4 giant eagles broke through the roof of the home where this guy was trapped, and he was riding on the back of one of them. I cast another deadly spell at it and would have knocked him out again, but one of the giant spider eagles got in the way of my spell at the last second. At that point he was moving too fast for me to catch and I had to deal with the rest of the summoned creatures. Once they were dispatched I grabbed this staff, that I had taken From its unconscious body and headed back here to regroup. “