Author Topic: Chain Spell  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Chain Spell
« on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »
Haas' 18th level feat choice got me thinking...

So, could you chain a chain missile spell to hit multiple primary targets and use the secondary missiles to bounce continuously off each target for multiple hits?

Example: A 20th level caster like Haas chains a chain missile at a wizard and his 10 cohorts.  The wizard takes 10d4+10 and his cohorts each take 1d4+1.  He chains the spell to hit the other 10 cohorts, so do they all take 10d4+10 plus an additional 1d4+1 for each new primary target?  If I'm doing the math right, couldn't you conceivably use that spell and that feat to do 100d4+100 to all 10 opponents?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: Chain Spell
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
Haas' 18th level feat choice got me thinking...

So, could you chain a chain missile spell to hit multiple primary targets and use the secondary missiles to bounce continuously off each target for multiple hits?

Example: A 20th level caster like Haas chains a chain missile at a wizard and his 10 cohorts.  The wizard takes 10d4+10 and his cohorts each take 1d4+1.  He chains the spell to hit the other 10 cohorts, so do they all take 10d4+10 plus an additional 1d4+1 for each new primary target?  If I'm doing the math right, couldn't you conceivably use that spell and that feat to do 100d4+100 to all 10 opponents?

Chain Spell feat states that the spell it is applied to can only specify a single target.  I would rule that Chain Missile specifies more than one target, even though it is initially one target.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.