Author Topic: Ship Construction  (Read 48589 times)

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Construction
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2018, 09:16:41 AM »
Chase will put in an application for ship's mage, but will happily work in any officer's capacity.  He has an assortment of healing spells, Refreshment, Detect Ship, and other useful spells.  He's highly skilled in many things, and he's very charming.

I also offer to contribute to the ship if further enhancements are needed.  I'd be willing to buy the Lyre of Building. That's really useful and particularly bardic in nature, so it fits in nicely with my beliefs.

I think Chase, given his skill set, would make for a great Cabin Boy or Morale Officer

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2018, 09:38:03 AM »
For Chase, midshipman is a junior officer, and that is the position he has held on the previous ships.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »
It appears as if you have not Prelate (ship's cleric).  Since you have Rin and Nathan in other roles and are notable clerics (as well as Doctor Len as a cleric); how experienced of a cleric do you want to hire for the ship?

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
I think Chase, given his skill set, would make for a great Cabin Boy or Morale Officer
Thanks for the vote of confidence...there's just no appreciation for the bardic arts these days.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »
For Helmsman, you have five applicants of some note:

1) Claude (its a common Talpan name) Margen, a human sailor that is the near definition of typical.  Mid twenties, married looking for a good job, several years of experience on several ships having seen minimal combat.  Fit and passes all of the basic seamanship tests.  Well spoken, calm, and respectable.

2) Marnid Kalmaltou, a young human with Intorian background that is excited and energetic.  He has been on two voyages and speaks of the adventure on both, one was a recent corsair ship.  He has not been Helmsman before but demonstrates the skills needed.  He is lean and nimble, unmarried and ready to go on a moment's notice.

3) Fitolin Selso'anet, a half-elven noble.  He comes highly recommended with three letters from notable members of Port Talp.  He has a fine education, excellent equipment including two magic items (you note upon detect magic inspection).  He conversation is polite and correct at every turn.  He demonstrates a superior knowledge of the skill set required.  He has been at sea many times, but not yet for a long voyage.

4) Esimato Etumi, a Horarian in his thirties.  A long time fisher, he has switched careers.  He has a family with three children.  He shows the wear of two decades working at sea.  He answers are a bit rough an uneducated and he speaks common as someone would that learned it later in life.

5) Marco Ponticelo del Vento is a Nipit whose name Chase and others that pay attention to the famous have heard before, and he arrives at your door.  Bordering on flamboyant, he has been sailing the seas for over twenty years; sometimes along on a small ship to demonstrate his skill.  He is talented and as skilled in seamanship, and likely more skilled, than any of you.  He comes in dressed ready for a long voyage with gear that is top notch and a number of magical items.  He is not overbearing when he speaks, and does not come across as if he thinks he is the deities' gift to you and the sea.  He is confident, however, and would clearly expect a nice price for his considerable skills.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »
For Chase, midshipman is a junior officer, and that is the position he has held on the previous ships.

What are the different levels of officer?  How many ranks are typically above junior officer on a ship like this.

Also I know we can decided this for ourselves because we are the owners but what are the positions that are typically officers on a ship like this?

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
It appears as if you have not Prelate (ship's cleric).  Since you have Rin and Nathan in other roles and are notable clerics (as well as Doctor Len as a cleric); how experienced of a cleric do you want to hire for the ship?

3rd level heals spells should be good to start out with. Any thoughts from the other owners?

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »
For Helmsman, you have five applicants of some note:

1) Claude (its a common Talpan name) Margen, a human sailor that is the near definition of typical.  Mid twenties, married looking for a good job, several years of experience on several ships having seen minimal combat.  Fit and passes all of the basic seamanship tests.  Well spoken, calm, and respectable.

2) Marnid Kalmaltou, a young human with Intorian background that is excited and energetic.  He has been on two voyages and speaks of the adventure on both, one was a recent corsair ship.  He has not been Helmsman before but demonstrates the skills needed.  He is lean and nimble, unmarried and ready to go on a moment's notice.

3) Fitolin Selso'anet, a half-elven noble.  He comes highly recommended with three letters from notable members of Port Talp.  He has a fine education, excellent equipment including two magic items (you note upon detect magic inspection).  He conversation is polite and correct at every turn.  He demonstrates a superior knowledge of the skill set required.  He has been at sea many times, but not yet for a long voyage.

4) Esimato Etumi, a Horarian in his thirties.  A long time fisher, he has switched careers.  He has a family with three children.  He shows the wear of two decades working at sea.  He answers are a bit rough an uneducated and he speaks common as someone would that learned it later in life.

5) Marco Ponticelo del Vento is a Nipit whose name Chase and others that pay attention to the famous have heard before, and he arrives at your door.  Bordering on flamboyant, he has been sailing the seas for over twenty years; sometimes along on a small ship to demonstrate his skill.  He is talented and as skilled in seamanship, and likely more skilled, than any of you.  He comes in dressed ready for a long voyage with gear that is top notch and a number of magical items.  He is not overbearing when he speaks, and does not come across as if he thinks he is the deities' gift to you and the sea.  He is confident, however, and would clearly expect a nice price for his considerable skills.

I like Fitolin Selso'anet and definitely Marco.  What are the prices on each of them because that would weigh heavily into the decision.  I am not sure if we can afford Marco when their is no war going on.  Also I try to negotiate helms, ship's mage and any other position to accept a pay now which has the option to be raised if we are hired for a war.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »
When the day comes to interview ships' mages; there are two that stick out at the top of your list.  There are additionally five more, but they are less talented.  If you pass on both of these, I will continue with their descriptions.

Jean Calabrough is a human in his mid thirties.  He is handsome and sports a long to one side hair cut; black and 'skater' style.  His features are sharp and his skin is smooth.  He wears matte black boots and a belt as half cloak; opposing his stylish behold.  Hailing from Port Talp, he says that he has traveled the sea at times, and knows the basics of a ship.  He is a wizard, and being from Port Talp of course knows alchemy.  He would like to join this sure to be famous ship.  He notes his favorite spell is Lightning Leap.

Camile is also a resident of Port Talp.  She is barely over five feet tall and wears the clothes of a wealthy nun; thick and off white robes.  She was an apprentice of Beverly's and thinks, especially after the recent attack, you could use her talents.  She cream colored shirt and royal blue pants.  He has a golden necklace of lightning bolts and onyx armbands.  He is a sight to also knows the basics of a ship and claims she can be very effective in combat against evil creatures.  She says she is a master of Celestial Brilliance, and can cast a variety of holy spells.

I really like either of them.  Especially since they are both wizards and can easily learn the spells we need.  A lightning mage on a ship would be very helpful but so would Camile's spells selection and her connection to Beverly.  I could go either way on this.  What do you all think?  Also if either of these guys is two pricey then who would be a third candidate?  I find it hard to pick crew when I am not actually sure how the finances will work and what people typically make.  I do speak to Evani about this to get her insight and also talk with her about joining the her fleet.  If she has a consult that we could higher then I would pay them 50 gold to be at interviews and help with figuring out salaries for the crew.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:43:17 AM by Windblade »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2018, 11:51:38 AM »

What are the different levels of officer?  How many ranks are typically above junior officer on a ship like this.

Also I know we can decided this for ourselves because we are the owners but what are the positions that are typically officers on a ship like this?

Midshipman would likely be the only junior officer (officer in training).  It would go: captain, first mate, second mate (if the ship is big enough); all other officers; then junior officers.  Your past ships have typically had about ten officers (6 and then 4 midshipmen).  So roughly 10% of the crew.

Typically: Captain, First Mate, Second Mate, Ship Mage, Prelate, Doctor, Navigator

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »
3rd level heals spells should be good to start out with. Any thoughts from the other owners?

Amari says, "If neither of you can effect the undead specifically, I would feel more comfortable with a prelate that could do that."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
I like Fitolin Selso'anet and definitely Marco.  What are the prices on each of them because that would weigh heavily into the decision.  I am not sure if we can afford Marco when their is no war going on.  Also I try to negotiate helms, ship's mage and any other position to accept a pay now which has the option to be raised if we are hired for a war.

You have to make an offer to either of them.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:36 AM »
I really like either of them.  Especially since they are both wizards and can easily learn the spells we need.  A lightning mage on a ship would be very helpful but so would Camile's spells selection and her connection to Beverly.  I could go either way on this.  What do you all think?  Also if either of these guys is two pricey then who would be a third candidate?  I find it hard to pick crew when I am not actually sure how the finances will work and what people typically make.  I do speak to Evani about this to get her insight and also talk with her about joining the her fleet.  If she has a consult that we could higher then I would pay them 50 gold to be at interviews and help with figuring out salaries for the crew.

Evanni is not in the city to sit in on the interviews.

Her advice is pick people you get along with first and foremost.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2018, 03:00:12 PM »
One of your interviewees strides in carrying a hefty pack which clearly contains scale mail armor.  He has black hair pulled into a top knot and is some part Horarian.  His a wide chested and muscled, more so than you typically see in a sailor.  He has some age and battle lines on his face.  When he sets down his pack, you see the hilt of a sword, carved from bone and brass.  His face is round and wide with bushy eyebrows.  He is clean shaven, although you get the sense that he couldn't grow a beard even if he wanted.

"My name is Tsari'moti.  I would like to apply for master of the forecastle abroad your marvelous ship.  I have fifteen years at sea.  I know much about seamanship and connand.  None will board will I defend the cassle.  I can demonstate my talents."

He stares at Nathan as he talks. 

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2018, 03:47:24 PM »
If there is room somewhere I will be shape change and cast a spell on myself to spar with him