Author Topic: Ship Construction  (Read 50247 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: Ship Construction
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
The able able seamen you find consist of the following:

14 are humans of various non-magical backgrounds: fighters, rogues, crafters, berserkers, and rangers.

There are two more human clerics; Sven a cleric of Tfop from Port Talp and Zelek a cleric of Lakius from somewhere in the southern seas that has traveled to be part of Nathan's crew.

There is a Horairan ranger that knows Tsari'moti.

There is a dark green scaled Vass with a longer than usual tail.  His features are almost serpentine in nature.  Although he understands common, it is so slurred that it is easier to communicate in scalee.  When tested, he demonstrates a swimming speed and agility that matches a fish.  His name, for your purposes, is Was.

There is another gnome that Valdis asks to be put on the ship.  With darker than Plateau gnome but now quite Amatin gnome skin, he has some psionic powers.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2018, 03:24:56 PM »
Your 14 gunner's mates are as follows:

9 are humans, seven of which are standard non-spellcasting types.  The final two are brothers; fraternal twins names Archie and Semois.  They come in separately and not next to each other in line, and only a keen eye figures out they are brothers by just looking.  Their story, however, gives them away.

Both say, "From a youth age I liked stone and metal.  Over the years, I found I could manipulate it and control spells.  They called me a sorcerer when I was a teen.  I've learned to do some clever things.  Being from the plateau, and using a firearm from a young age, I thought it would be useful to use spells that helped firearms; and for you, I mean cannon."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
One of the other mates is a gnomish tinker from the plateau.  He is level headed and insists he is not there to experiment, only to keep the cannon in order and earn money.  He demonstrates a click he designed which is a spinning brush to clean the barrels of firearms.

Another is a Nipit sailor, who is likely the least amused Nipit you have ever met.  With no flare, and no humor, he reminds you of a dwarven attitude in a Nipit body.

There are two Vass that join as gunner's mates that know each other.  They are friends looking to serve on the ship.  They are humorous and well spoken, for Vass.  One is a ranger, who boasts and demonstrates his skill with all things thrown.  The other is a crafter, specializing in alchemy, specifically oils.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2018, 07:04:09 PM »
From your last ship, the other Parker, who was Master of the Tops for the Pride of the Rose, comes in to interview.

"Seeing as how we have history, I thought you might like to have me back aboard.  I'd take the Master role I had on the Pride.  But seeing as how there are three masts, I expect the pay to be increased from two masts."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2018, 07:05:40 PM »
Was Taiji going to be the Carpenter again?

Is Veronica returning as the Sailmaker?

Nathan get to pick the Navigator's Mate.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
Here is a recap of what we still need pricing on.

Hardened Wood Alchemy - ?
Additional Magical Hardening - ?
Special Wood for Hull -
Fortified Aft Castle -
Ice Cannon – (I think it was 40k)
Hallow Spell for 1 year (possibly with Death Ward tied to it) - ?
Normal Jail with Silenced, Dimensional Anchor Shackles - ?
Price of Laterns ? (how many and are we concerned that this could effect our own crew)

Claude will cast the Hallow for you, so the cost is only the cost of the components, which with the Death Ward is 5,000gc.  The ship is so large in requires two castings.  So the cost is 10,000gc.  Claude sets is so that only good characters share in the Death Ward (note that he has to set some prerequisite).

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
Who are my choices for navigator's mate?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2018, 07:21:49 PM »
Who are my choices for navigator's mate?

You have lots of choices, so give me an idea of class, race, level and I will let you know.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2018, 10:36:42 PM »
3 locks in the vault room sounds great.  We also need a place to store the crown of Air on the ship. 
Superior locks (open lock DC 40) are 150 gc each.

Lead lining (Complete Scoundrel) would be helpful in the vault to prevent detection spells. 10 gc. No definition of item size.

How many Captains laterns do we need?
I think we decided that we need 3 latern's of revealing.

One Captain's Lantern will function for the entire ship, no limit on number of crew.

A Lantern of Revealing effects a radius of 25 ft. Would we want to constantly cover the entire deck (we would need multiple), or just bring it out as needed (just one would work)?

Hero how much is the bulkhead that grants a short fly distance?
Golden Shedu: This living figurehead is carved into a likeness of the forequarters of a shedu, a creature with the head of a bearded man and the body of a winged bull (see page 153 of Fiend Folio for more on this being). It is crafted of mahogany and overlaid with gold leaf. When animated, this living figurehead grants its ship a fly speed of 60 feet with poor maneuverability. In addition, the golden shedu allows its ship and crew to shift briefly from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane as the etherealness spell. The animated figurehead has a Charisma score of 16 but is otherwise treated as a Large animated object. Its flight ability can be used twice per week for up to 1 hour at a time. It can transport the ship to the Ethereal Plane for up to 10 minutes each week; the duration of the etherealness effect need not be consecutive periods.

Strong transmutation; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, etherealness, fly; Price 100,000 gp; Weight 350 lb.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »
I really like either of them.  Especially since they are both wizards and can easily learn the spells we need.  A lightning mage on a ship would be very helpful but so would Camile's spells selection and her connection to Beverly.  I could go either way on this.  What do you all think?  Also if either of these guys is two pricey then who would be a third candidate?  I find it hard to pick crew when I am not actually sure how the finances will work and what people typically make.  I do speak to Evani about this to get her insight and also talk with her about joining the her fleet.  If she has a consult that we could higher then I would pay them 50 gold to be at interviews and help with figuring out salaries for the crew.
Sas agrees that Camile's connection to Beverly could prove useful.

Taiji notably suggests we review their spellbooks to understand each candidate's available spell options. "Notably" because no one invited him to the meeting, but he's there offering his opinion nonetheless.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2018, 10:56:59 PM »

Golden Shedu: This living figurehead is carved into a likeness of the forequarters of a shedu, a creature with the head of a bearded man and the body of a winged bull (see page 153 of Fiend Folio for more on this being). It is crafted of mahogany and overlaid with gold leaf. When animated, this living figurehead grants its ship a fly speed of 60 feet with poor maneuverability. In addition, the golden shedu allows its ship and crew to shift briefly from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane as the etherealness spell. The animated figurehead has a Charisma score of 16 but is otherwise treated as a Large animated object. Its flight ability can be used twice per week for up to 1 hour at a time. It can transport the ship to the Ethereal Plane for up to 10 minutes each week; the duration of the etherealness effect need not be consecutive periods.

Strong transmutation; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, etherealness, fly; Price 100,000 gp; Weight 350 lb.

It would not be a shedu on Habololy, but whatever it is would work the same.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2018, 11:02:16 PM »
Added the 42k for the conjure ice beast to the total of priced items
Update

Total Cost of Ship: 700,000
Total of priced items: 473580

Base Ship - 100,000
Broad Rudders - 500
Everfull Sails  and Displacement – 192,000
Invisibility Sphere Item - 12,960
Portable Hole = 20,000
Conjure Ice Beast Hull Trap (3) – 42,000
Teleporter - 27,720
Submerge Ship  - 36,400
Hardened Wood Alchemy - ?
Additional Magical Hardening - ?
Special Wood for Hull -
Fortified Aft Castle -
Ice Cannon - ?
Hallow Spell for 1 year (possibly with Death Ward tied to it) - ?
Normal Jail with Silenced, Dimensional Anchor Shackles - ?
Ice Porpoise Summoning Alarm -

Summon alarm and hull trap are the same thing.
Brain dump:
  • Lyre of Building - Is Chase picking this up?
  • Can Claude alchemically protect the ship from fire? I feel like this was discussed before in the lost thread.
  • Banner of the Storm's Eye (MIC)  will help with fear effects
  • Any way to get nondetection on the ship so we can't be tracked?
  • Maybe make the capt's quarters a scry proof room
  • We should buy potions in bulk. Healing, restoration, waterbreathing, fly.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:21 PM »
Brain dump:
  • Lyre of Building - Is Chase picking this up?
As long as everyone agrees they want this, Chase will pick up the tab.

What's the final price on this after discounts, restrictions, etc.?

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2018, 08:09:21 AM »

I believe what was discussed where orbs put around the ship which would contain a substance to extinguish magical and normal fires.

The sails are already fire proof, and a side benefit of choosing the "lite machanics" option is the ropes are fire proof as well.

Brain dump:
  • Can Claude alchemically protect the ship from fire? I feel like this was discussed before in the lost thread.[/l][/l]
[/list]

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2018, 08:23:51 AM »
here is what I think the best image for the ship

alterations
  •   you chose castles.  so our ship will have a for and aft castle.  There is a dedicated gun desk, so this doesn't interfere with the castles, but catapult/crossbow placement can't be overlooked.
  • your sail setup will be different on the fore mast

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:48:32 AM by Zunder »