Author Topic: Old Enemy and Lost Love  (Read 7804 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Old Enemy and Lost Love
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:44:07 AM »
Season 30 comes to a close but it won't be long before we return to the plateau, now with more PCs than ever!

XP for the season finale:

Marston - for making a hard choice - 2000xp

Rathos - for leading the damage game again - 1800xp

Harrick - for deadly magic missiles and good undead word usage - 1800xp

Finn - for your menagerie of creatures - 2000xp

Artemus - the great hand of healing - 1750xp

Larissa - one small psychic ability prevents mass casualties - 3000xp

Arkon - entangling helps too - 1500xp

Cordaro - good that someone else speaks drow - 1500xp
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: Old Enemy and Lost Love
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:45:18 AM »
Do you head directly back to Finn's plantation?

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:47:08 AM »
Do you head directly back to Finn's plantation?
That's probably a good idea.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 09:23:01 AM »
A list of quasi deities that were mentioned:

Zeist - the mad tinker, has been around for just over one hundred years, a mortal gnome driven mad by Highlander's death, famously drove Chaos' cult off of the plateau.  The apparent new deity of Gmax.

Zornialat - ancient quasi deity of the underdark focused on horror and monsters.  A primary patron of the umber hulks.

Bakenrashu - another contender for the dark side of Falan that has reportedly taken control of the temple in Hertoplowis.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »
If anyone got a level, please message me and let me know.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
That's probably a good idea.

You safely make it back to the plantation.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
John Gnelletter is a cleric of tommimao that was driven from Grimhold along with most of the faith almost a decade ago.  Those from the town remember the near civil war in the town between his faith and the sheriffs.  The old sheriff Marsk was forced to step down after John was driven out of grimhold.

John has not been a visible threat in grimhold, but if look enough you can find his influence in the town.  Most believe he is based not far.  If the information you received is true, this would be the highest profile action he has taken in years.

Marston certainly knows what John looks like and has likely met him at some point in the past.  Artemus, unless he is older than I think, would not have met him but knows the story

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
John Gnelletter is a cleric of tommimao that was driven from Grimhold along with most of the faith almost a decade ago.  Those from the town remember the near civil war in the town between his faith and the sheriffs.  The old sheriff Marsk was forced to step down after John was driven out of grimhold.

John has not been a visible threat in grimhold, but if look enough you can find his influence in the town.  Most believe he is based not far.  If the information you received is true, this would be the highest profile action he has taken in years.

Marston certainly knows what John looks like and has likely met him at some point in the past.  Artemus, unless he is older than I think, would not have met him but knows the story
What exactly was the civil war over?  What was John Gnelletter preaching that was so threatening to the sheriffs of Grimhold?

Do I, or any of the sheriffs, have any informants working outside of Grimhold who would reveal their sources as to who else in law enforcement (or in our group) that might have bounties on their heads?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »
What exactly was the civil war over?  What was John Gnelletter preaching that was so threatening to the sheriffs of Grimhold?

How strict the rules and laws should be.  He was, as Tommimao is, in favor of fewer laws and rules.  In the end, the fear of the undead won against his efforts for expanded freedoms.

The actual combat in the streets lasted two months.  It was a terrible time, outside of an undead incursion, the worst the town has seen.  Before he was driven out John killed the lead cleric of Gruweas.  He is still wanted for that crime.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:09:46 PM by Asinjin »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
Do I, or any of the sheriffs, have any informants working outside of Grimhold who would reveal their sources as to who else in law enforcement (or in our group) that might have bounties on their heads?

The town gets regular updates from friends and allies outside the town about bounties.  None have come up that have Marston on it.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »
How strict the rules and laws should be.  He was, as Tommimao is, in favor of fewer laws and rules.  In the end, the fear of the undead won against his efforts for expanded freedoms.

The actual combat in the streets lasted two months.  It was a terrible time, outside of an undead incursion, the worst the town has seen.  Before he was driven out John killed the lead cleric of Gruweas.  He is still wanted for that crime.
Have the clerics of Gruweas no means of scrying John or tracking him down?  It seems odd that a religion so bent on following the law to the letter wouldn't have caught him by now. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
Have the clerics of Gruweas no means of scrying John or tracking him down?  It seems odd that a religion so bent on following the law to the letter wouldn't have caught him by now.

He is not magically find able in any but the most powerful ways, which are not at the disposal of Grimhold.  The mundane ways determined that after he was driven from the town, he fled pretty far away.  Hundreds if not a thousand miles.  There was also some thought that continuing to go after him might push some of the townsfolk that had abandoned Tommimao back into his camp.  (Note this argument was made by the religion of Tfop which had gained the most from the Tommimao faithful).  With bigger undead problems to manage, the powers that be in Grimhold let it be, although there is still and warrant and bounty out for him.

It is also a consideration that John is believed to have been one of the most powerful residents in Grimhold at the time of the civil strife, killing one of the other most powerful citizens.  He was known to be a skilled horseman (his last name was taken from the breed of horse he rides), a noted spellcaster, and a user of firearms.  It is assumed that in the decade since, he has only grown more skilled, although he is middle aged by now.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »
He is not magically find able in any but the most powerful ways, which are not at the disposal of Grimhold.  The mundane ways determined that after he was driven from the town, he fled pretty far away.  Hundreds if not a thousand miles.  There was also some thought that continuing to go after him might push some of the townsfolk that had abandoned Tommimao back into his camp.  (Note this argument was made by the religion of Tfop which had gained the most from the Tommimao faithful).  With bigger undead problems to manage, the powers that be in Grimhold let it be, although there is still and warrant and bounty out for him.

It is also a consideration that John is believed to have been one of the most powerful residents in Grimhold at the time of the civil strife, killing one of the other most powerful citizens.  He was known to be a skilled horseman (his last name was taken from the breed of horse he rides), a noted spellcaster, and a user of firearms.  It is assumed that in the decade since, he has only grown more skilled, although he is middle aged by now.
Was the lead Cruweas cleric that John killed ever raised/resurrected, or is he buried somewhere here in Grimhold?  If he's buried, I take a walk over to his gravesite. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 05:54:14 PM »
Was the lead Cruweas cleric that John killed ever raised/resurrected, or is he buried somewhere here in Grimhold?  If he's buried, I take a walk over to his gravesite.

He was not.  Gruweas has a long and intricate procedure for determining if someone is brought back.  At some point in the process, it was determined he would not be brought back.

He is buried at the temple of Gruweas.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
He was not.  Gruweas has a long and intricate procedure for determining if someone is brought back.  At some point in the process, it was determined he would not be brought back.

He is buried at the temple of Gruweas.
I'll pay my respects at his grave if the temple of Gruweas will allow me to enter.  I keep my undead/vampire sensors on high alert near his tomb.  If I sense something, I tell the group.  If not, I head home and ponder everything that happened with Elizabeth and Gmax.