General Category > The 4th Era Of Habololy

Rules Committees

(1/4) > >>

Asinjin:
In the next two months, I will be working in earnest to get ready for the 4th era.  If anyone can think of any broad areas that need to be covered in addition to the ones I list, please post.  Here are the committees already formed to discuss topics:

- History (what happens in the time between eras)
- Psionics (recreating the rules so that they are not just arcane magic rules)
- Combat (alterations to the combat rules to address current problems)
- Magic (the effects of the SNAP on how magic works)

Hero:
One for the combat rules committee: consider the use of fractional BAB for class advancement.

Currently, character classes advance BAB as defined on a chart. Those chart values are based on rates: poor (50%*level, e.g., wizards), average (75%*level, e.g., clerics), good (100%*level, e.g., fighters). Chart values are rounded down.

When multi classing, it is possible for a character with 2 “average” BAB classes to have a lower BAB than a “poor” class at the same level. For instance, a cleric 1/monk 1 has a BAB=0, while a wizard 2 has a BAB=1.

Fractional BAB would advance BAB using the rate defined above when adding classes, so wizard 1 has a BAB of 0.5. Still rounded down when used in game. This has the effect of slightly bumping up characters that multi class or take prestige classes that do not have full BAB. So a cleric 1/monk 1 would have a BAB of 1.5 = 1.

Haas had a span where his BAB did not increase for 3 levels because he went cleric-monk-prestige class, all of which had average BAB but because of rounding in the table there was no noticeable change in use. Fractional BAB would have given him a +2.25 BAB adjustment instead of 0.

Asinjin:
This would have made Razilav....better....

Windblade:

--- Quote from: Hero on March 16, 2021, 05:18:14 PM ---One for the combat rules committee: consider the use of fractional BAB for class advancement.

Currently, character classes advance BAB as defined on a chart. Those chart values are based on rates: poor (50%*level, e.g., wizards), average (75%*level, e.g., clerics), good (100%*level, e.g., fighters). Chart values are rounded down.

When multi classing, it is possible for a character with 2 “average” BAB classes to have a lower BAB than a “poor” class at the same level. For instance, a cleric 1/monk 1 has a BAB=0, while a wizard 2 has a BAB=1.

Fractional BAB would advance BAB using the rate defined above when adding classes, so wizard 1 has a BAB of 0.5. Still rounded down when used in game. This has the effect of slightly bumping up characters that multi class or take prestige classes that do not have full BAB. So a cleric 1/monk 1 would have a BAB of 1.5 = 1.

Haas had a span where his BAB did not increase for 3 levels because he went cleric-monk-prestige class, all of which had average BAB but because of rounding in the table there was no noticeable change in use. Fractional BAB would have given him a +2.25 BAB adjustment instead of 0.

--- End quote ---

I am think this is a cool idea.  Just hate adding in more things to keep track of but I am game if everyone else is.

whitesword:
I'll defer to those with a better grasp of math than I.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version