Author Topic: Shared Concentration  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Shared Concentration
« on: January 08, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »
Thoughts on allowed others to use their concentration to maintain a spell cast on them by another.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: Shared Concentration
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »
I think it would be great that any character could maintain one spell on them that requires concentration even if someone else cast the spell.  I think this should even apply to non spell caster.  That way a caster could spell on someone else and let them maintain it but still only one spell at a time.  This is a small bump in power to a fight but I don't think it is signifant.  I also thinks it fits well with what we always have done.  I like the idea of being able to ask a powerful person in the town for a special blessing that would be helpful for the upcoming battle.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »
I don't think a non-spellcaster should be able to do it.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:06:20 PM »
I have only played a bit but I really don't see why that would be a major problem.  The way I picture it would be you can only have 1 concentration spell on you at a time per spellcasting source so it is not like the cleric could cast a spell on you have you concentration on it and then have the cleric quest another spell that they concentration on.  My idea is only one concentration spell on a person per spellcaster and it doesn't matter who is doing the concentration.  Again this is obviously power increase but I don't think it is anything major or game breaking and it does make it look more like the system we have been use too.  It think it would be silly to implement this rule and only have other spellcasters be able to concentrate on it.  Obviously we don't need a change but I just didn't like the idea that Malchai's character couldn't cast fly on everyone and use up multiple slots.  It is the way it has always been done using the magic systems for the last 2 editions and I don't like the flavor this change takes away.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:03:27 AM »
I thought the point of the "playtest" was to try this edition in its original form. Right now, we are playing characters at an accelerated pace just to see how the system works, in its intended form, over as many levels as possible.  If we decide, in the end, that this is a system we want to move to, either entirely or in individual seasons, we can tweak the rules then. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:02:51 AM »
Any changes discussed here would be for next year's play.  There are some changes we implemented from last year being used this year, so that is the method.