Author Topic: The Year That Was  (Read 19995 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: The Year That Was
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »
For Haas and company, the two months after the fall of the Fellows Estate are not good ones.  The defeat signaled a new phase of the war, one where Scalehome and the fey hold the upper hand.  Momentum on their side, they push the boundaries of their control.

The Woodduke signals that he and his realm will no longer fight Scalehome, although they do not sign a formal treaty.  The great forest is effectively under the control of Scalehome, north of Balinhost and Garlaccal; which is the northern two thirds of it.  In those forests, none announce their plan to resist and many openly declare their allegiance.  It is widely believed that few share their beliefs, they just fear the threats.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 09:41:36 AM »
Haas, Ajax, Ash, Vor'Ruk, Grant, and Valizar are with the leadership in Balinhost.  The first part of their stay is negotiating their presence in the nation.  This is left to Grant, Haas, and Vor'Ruk.  Ajax listens in, but since he speaks for no group, he has little to discuss.  Valizar and Ash help guard against any intrusion.  The two are unknown in Balinhost and stand out.  When the knolls arrive, Ash is quickly put in a position to interact with the gnolls, where he is effective and comfortable.

Valizar is not liked by the gnolls, not helpful in negotiating, and has little to do.  The time is slow and boring for him.  Haas does his best to keep him busy.  Finally, when negotiations are finished, Valizar is assigned to help construct more defenses, which he is effective at and more happy with than standing around.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 09:42:52 AM »
If anyone has comments or questions as I go through this, please post.  I will continue to post up to when we start in October.  I have to get through an in game year, so a ton of time won't be spent on any one area.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
The results are the negotiations with Balinhost are described by Ellic, "We are going to remain here and use Balinhost as a base against Scalehome.  Be aware that there is great unease in the leadership about this arrangement.  Some do not think this war can be won and wish to go along with the Wooduke.  I believe a lingering love of the good fey is all that keeps them in the war.  The leaders do not want to abandon the good fey.  But that is a weak majority, one tragedy will turn their opinion.  We must be careful for now.  We cannot bring disaster to their towns.  If we lose Balinhost, we have no base and will be completely fighting a rogue war.  Now our next challenge will be the coming gnolls.  They have not been allies of Balinhost in the past, but indications are they are willing to fight Scalehome."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:54:27 AM by Asinjin »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 09:51:08 AM »
Ellic continues, "Ajax, do not intimidate the gnolls.  Do not demand things of them or drive any out of their horde."

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:40:08 PM by Asinjin »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 02:59:06 PM »
A quick reminder; Balinhost is the realm of the Fironi, the race of half-elves.  There are over 500,000 residents of the small nation.

The main contact with the nation is Martin Bradtree, a Fironi ranger and sword saint of renowned.  You have encountered him before when you have been to Balinhost.  He is the commander of the militias here and lead the force that Balinhost sent to fight the Battle of the Forest Coalition.

A note that when you arrive, Claude is here with you.  Later, it is decided that he should leave so as not to incite anyone.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
The last time the group was here, shortly before the Battle of the Forest Coalition (nearly three and a half years of game time), you had to deal with a female cleric of Falan, who was a minister at the time.  She had with her a vampire and many undead that apparently hated Ajax.  You narrowly defeated her and she was later imprisoned.  You learn that she is still in prison; but you learn that not long ago (within three months) she went crazy and is hard to understand and control.  She has had to be restrained in her cell since that time.

During that encounter with the cleric when last you were here, you were aided by the local cleric of Stasis.  You learn that he is dead.  Killed on a mission into the forest nearly two years ago.

The other person you dealt with a great deal when you were here was the Prime Minister.  He has since been replaced (in the normal fashion).

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 03:23:49 PM »
Vor'Ruk expesses that the Empire will probably sit this war out.  They won't fight such a powerful force in the confined spaces of the forrest.  Well, at least not without a Shir Kahn leading the vanguard like Nirad Kustus did, devastating the land as they went.   I have sent messages to confirm, but the current leadership is practical and cautious.  They would not see the benefit.  Unfortunately, my race is so short lived, building strong ties with the border beings of the forrest for the next generations slips the mind of some.   I might be able to sway some, but do not count on help.

Vor'Ruk spends a lot of time drilling, practicing, weapon smithing and building.  His slate grey skin darkening to a charcoal sheen in the beating sun of the forrest.  He works just in a armored kilt. because a legioneers tan doesn't look good on anyone.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:01:22 PM by Zunder »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 04:32:25 PM »
Vor'Ruk expesses that the Empire will probably sit this war out.  They won't fight such a powerful force in the confined spaces of the forrest.  Well, at least not without a Shir Kahn leading the vanguard like Nirad Kustus did, devastating the last as they went.   I have sent messages to confirm, but the current leadership is practical and cautious.  They would not see the benefit.  Unfortunately, my race is so short lived, building strong ties with the border beings of the forrest for the next generations slips the mind of some.   I might be able to sway some, but do not count on help.

Vor'Ruk spends a lot of time drilling, practicing, weapon smithing and building.  His slate grey skin darkening to a charcoal sheen in the beating sun of the forrest.  He works just in a armored kilt. because a legioneers tan doesn't look good on anyone.

Vor'Ruk finds a small but enthusiastic group of militia to train with during the time here.  About 100 Fironi take lessons from you and your retinue.

Your take on the feelings and leadership in the Empire is correct.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 10:01:14 PM »
You learn that the new prime minister is Fauns Bowland.  He was elected last year when it became clear that war was coming.  You have been introduced to him, but as of yet have not had any long conversations.

He is a rare bald Fironi, by choice by the look of it.  He is a archer by trade and battle minded.

You hear a few stories of the missions of Harlow Telital, the lead ambassador and diplomat of Balinhost who is feverishly traveling and trying to gain support from nearby nations.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 11:02:58 PM »
Vor'Ruk finds a small but enthusiastic group of militia to train with during the time here.  About 100 Fironi take lessons from you and your retinue.

Your take on the feelings and leadership in the Empire is correct.

retinue? I just have Rompie right?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 07:53:02 AM »

retinue? I just have Rompie right?

I thought you rode in with a small group, ten orcs plus you and Rompie.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »
I thought you rode in with a small group, ten orcs plus you and Rompie.

Illusions.. I thought.  Maybe.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »

Illusions.. I thought.  Maybe.

The illusions were of a much larger force, a thousand or more.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »
The illusions were of a much larger force, a thousand or more.

:) awesome, i forgot.