Author Topic: A War in The Heavens  (Read 14069 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: A War in The Heavens
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
I have 1 spot for spell storage in my Glaive.. I'm not sure how many levels or spells i can store, but I bet that one will fit, before we go.  Or maybe a silver/good spell.  Please.. anyone?

Lots of spells I have, but I need to level to make the best suggestion.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 02:59:37 PM »
Lots of spells I have, but I need to level to make the best suggestion.

Whitesword, do you remember how many spell levels/spell slots the glaive can store?  I found the original email and you just say "spell storing"

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
Whitesword, do you remember how many spell levels/spell slots the glaive can store?  I found the original email and you just say "spell storing"
Spell Storing: A spell storing weapon allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level in the weapon. (The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action.) Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires. (This special ability is an exception to the general rule that casting a spell from an item takes at least as long as casting that spell normally.) Once the spell has been cast from the weapon, a spellcaster can cast any other targeted spell of up to 3rd level into it. The weapon magically imparts to the wielder the name of the spell currently stored within it. A randomly rolled spell storing weapon has a 50% chance to have a spell stored in it already.

Strong evocation (plus aura of stored spell); CL 12th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, creator must be a caster of at least 12th level; Price +1 bonus.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »

Oh.. nevermind :)

Spell Storing: A spell storing weapon allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level in the weapon. (The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action.) Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires. (This special ability is an exception to the general rule that casting a spell from an item takes at least as long as casting that spell normally.) Once the spell has been cast from the weapon, a spellcaster can cast any other targeted spell of up to 3rd level into it. The weapon magically imparts to the wielder the name of the spell currently stored within it. A randomly rolled spell storing weapon has a 50% chance to have a spell stored in it already.

Strong evocation (plus aura of stored spell); CL 12th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, creator must be a caster of at least 12th level; Price +1 bonus.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 07:04:39 AM »

It says that the spell is cast on the creature damaged by the weapon. Which rules out any spells that affect the glaive itself (so can't use "silver weapon" or "bless weapon"). We've been paling 3rd ed for ~15 years (?) and I still learn something new every time.

Ari has a backup weapon that is spell storing too, which is currently empty.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 08:54:08 AM »
It says that the spell is cast on the creature damaged by the weapon. Which rules out any spells that affect the glaive itself (so can't use "silver weapon" or "bless weapon"). We've been paling 3rd ed for ~15 years (?) and I still learn something new every time.

We have played that there are different versions.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »

So.. Smites, or Lightening Bolts. Still useful, maybe not so much against devils.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »
That's nice.  Would something like that stack with my Holy Longbow?

They would both effect the devil in the same round.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 11:01:04 PM »
It takes the better part of the day for all of the gate spells to be cast and the groups of warriors to organize themselves on the other side.  There is a large contingent of followers of Stasis with all classes represented.  There similar groups bearing Tfop and Hemator's symbols.

The Guardians are primarily Equinals and Lupinals, with some Avorals and a few Ursinals and Cerdivals.  There are also a dozen or so Bladelords. All told the host numbers just over two thousand.

For a few moments Parker, Thaddeus, Shaar and Rubius are disoriented after they emerge from the gate. There is no perceptible horizon at first and no terrain features in sight. After a few deep breaths your perception adjusts and the land takes on the appearance of gently rolling hills. Far ahead of you there is a distant horizon.

Ari and Kerkley perceive things differently.  The hills rapidly give way to high grasslands, similar to Yellowia. From your vantage you can see trampled grass and the faint whisps of smoke, the telltale signs of an army's passage and encampment. To your left there is a wide swath of ruin. It looks like countless troops have passed by recently and intentionally tormented the ground on their way.  You cannot see the army between you and your destination, which is perplexing.

Verconis speaks with Tania and Acure for a few minutes after the final gate closes.  He steps away from them as the troops stand to move out and let's out a titanic roar.  In the distance, at the edge of the grasslands dozens of figures rise from the grass and reply with faint lupine howls.  Tania leads the Guardian scouts ahead.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:33:05 PM by whitesword »

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »
It takes the better part of the day for all of the gate spells to be cast and the groups of warriors to organize themselves on the other side.  There is a large contingent of followers of Stasis with all classes represented.  There similar groups bearing Tfop and Hemator's symbols.

The Guardians are primarily Equinals and Lupinals, with some Avorals and a few Ursinals and Cerdivals.  There are also a dozen or so Bladelords. All told the host numbers just over two thousand.

For a few moments Thaddeus, Shaar and Rubius are disoriented after they emerge from the gate. There is no perceptible horizon at first and no terrain features in sight. After a few deep breaths your perception adjusts and the land takes on the appearance of gently rolling hills. Far ahead of you there is a distant horizon.

Ari and Kerkley perceive things differently.  The hills rapidly give way to high grasslands, similar to Yellowia. From your vantage you can see trampled grass and the faint whisps of smoke, the telltale signs of an army's passage and encampment. To your left there is a wide swath of ruin. It looks like countless troops have passed by recently and intentionally tormented the ground on their way.  You cannot see the army between you and your destination, which is perplexing.

Verconis speaks with Tania and Acure for a few minutes after the final gate closes.  He steps away from them as the troops stand to move out and let's out a titanic roar.  In the distance, at the edge of the grasslands dozens of figures rise from the grass and reply with faint lupine howls.  Tania leads the Guardian scouts ahead.

Parker sees.......endless adventure??

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »
Sorry, cut and paste got me. Fixed it.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 07:57:51 PM »
(In case it's not clear this is your opportunity to discuss things with Verconis, Acure, etc.)

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 09:38:32 PM »
So.. Smites, or Lightening Bolts. Still useful, maybe not so much against devils.
Can Kirkley provide a good old fashioned "dispel magic" for Ari's backup sword?

(In case it's not clear this is your opportunity to discuss things with Verconis, Acure, etc.)
So what do we know of our enemy? How numerous are they? What is the composition of the horde? Do we have a plan?