Author Topic: A War in The Heavens  (Read 14069 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
A War in The Heavens
« on: July 13, 2016, 11:00:54 PM »
The Warmaster's tower has a more pragmatic feel than the other towers.   It has many training rooms, some for teaching aspiring Bladelords to mix ores to make steel, others to practice at the forge and those to fence and spar.  It also houses several armories, containing an arsenal of enchanted weapons, forged by the Bladelords over the centuries. The greatest of these houses only Kovan's work.  Most of the remainder of the tower is divided into small apartments where young apprentices reside.
  The first floor like all of the towers contains an auditorium used for meetings and more commonly teaching. The floor directly above holds the warmaster's chambers and an archive room.  The archive room is like nothing most of the Habololians have ever seen. It is dominated by a huge table, it top composed of nine interchangeable tiles (squares and rectangles, no nonagons).   The tiles are made of ordinary glass, obsidian or gold, all mirror polished and meticulously etched with the movement of troops in battle. The shelves of the room contain thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of the tiles. When laid out on the table the history of an entire war can be shown or a new battle planned. The gold tiles show victories for the forces of light and good; the obsidian a triumph for darkness. The plain glass for those not yet resolved.

When you arrive one obsidian tile is in place but the rest, only three more, are plain glass. Around the table are Escalon, Tania Falconsoul, Acure Edana  and a figure that towers over all the rest of you, even mighty Moebius. Over nine feet tall, with a chain mail vest that reveals impossibly muscled arms protected only by admantium vambraces. On its back are two scimitars. Where Escalon is fair skinned and silver haired, this creature is all gold skin, fur and hair. It's face even at rest is fierce but not feral with clearly feline features.  It examines each of you as you enter the room with an appraising eye.  When it looks down at Rubius you cannot help but feel as if he is looking at a mouse.

Escalon says "Gentlemen, and lady, may I present Verconis, son of Talisid, greatest of the war pride leaders of Eylsium.  He comes with ill news that requires our attention."

The mighty Leonal turns to face you. "Greetings to you all. Many of your names are known to me. Lord Arishimoto and Sir Thaddeus, word of your recent victory in depriving the dark powers of the Throne of Aruvatar has begun to spread among the champions of the light. Though I fear Stasis will find some of the goodly powers can be jealous.

Lords Kerkley and Isolder and Moebius and Lady Alyssa, I cannot express to you how deeply honored I am to meet you and perhaps fight beside you. Your names have been sung for centuries by followers of the righteous ways and cursed in dread by our enemies. That you have returned to us is already a great victory."

Escalon motions all of you over to the table. "The tragic events in the Great Forest are having unexpected consequences. The "walls" of the Beastlands are weakening and word of it has reached the infernal planes. What you see before you is the gate town of -Faunel  For the past several months they have seen an increasing number of fiends trying to enter the Beastlands. This has been a problem for eons as wicked creatures love to hunt in the Beastlands. The fiends that have been captured were clearly scouts, not hunters.   In most other towns, this would have been a cause for great alarm; Faunel however, is among the most anarchic of all the gate towns and it is only through word of mouth among travellers that any news of it spread."

Verconis says: "Five nights ago the vanguard of a Baazetu army assaulted the town and seized the gate.  The Verdant Guild, who nominally govern the town, sent out a call for aid.  Though they can be infuriating to deal with, their hearts are devoted to good and they have aided both the Guardians and Guardinials on many occasions. My father dispatched my war pack and we assaulted the devils before they could entrench. We fought them for three nights and retook the gate. Yesterday gnomes from Bytopia and Elves from Arborea arrived and we regained the heart of the town. Now though the Baazetu host approaches and it is clear they mean to destroy the town and invade. 

My father and the Guardian council have called upon all that would defend the upper planes to fight. "

Escalon says "I cannot ignore this summons, nor deny my brethren here this chance to do battle against the fiends. Most of us will be going. I have spoken with those high clerics of the goodly powers who would grant me or Midan an audience and we will be taking representatives of many powers with us."

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Re: A War in The Heavens
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 07:02:26 AM »
Do I have time to visit Arion in the week before we go to the Vale?

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:14:21 AM »

The mighty Leonal turns to face you. "Greetings to you all. Many of your names are known to me. Lord Arishimoto and Sir Thaddeus, word of your recent victory in depriving the dark powers of the Throne of Aruvatar has begun to spread among the champions of the light. Though I fear Stasis will find some of the goodly powers can be jealous.

Parker looks around, "What am I, Kitty-litter? I'm not saying that I was integral to the 'victory' (everyone's sarcasm meter just spiked), but they never would have found the damn thing if not for me.  But, fine, whatever. 

[after everyone else stops talking]
Fine, yes, I'll help save the multiverse, again.  I'm..... I mean "we're".... going to need a few things though.  Those of us who need them should replace weapons with silver and or Holy ones.  Thaddeus and I need to make a quick stop back to Port Phiam to collect some things and to put certain affairs in order.  I have businesses to run after all.  Also, a Bag of Holding or two wouldn't hurt.  We should stock them with enough provisions to last us a good while, just in case anything goes wrong, which, let's face it, will definitely happen. 

Escalon, if you are finished with that sword from the other day, we could probably put it to good use where we're going. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:24:53 AM »
In case anyone missed it, Asinjin agreed to check in on Ari and Rubius every few days and come rescue them when bad things happen.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »
After Asinjin hears of this debacle, he finds those responsible in the forest and adds them to his idiots list.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 09:35:40 AM »
In case anyone missed it, Asinjin agreed to check in on Ari and Rubius every few days and come rescue them when bad things happen.
Parker makes mental notes to pack plenty of herbal tea for Asinjin when he arrives.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:51:59 AM »
Kerkly will prepare an Avoid Planar Effects and a Resist Planar Alignment spell.

A Plane Shift is probably a good idea as well.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »
After Asinjin hears of this debacle, he finds those responsible in the forest and adds them to his idiots list.

Reik would be happy have a theoretical discussion about this.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »

Reik would be happy have a theoretical discussion about this.

At no point in any plane at any time in any multiverse on any timeline does Asinjin share the same air as Reik.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
At no point in any plane at any time in any multiverse on any timeline does Asinjin share the same air as Reik.

Grumbles something about desert elves being racist...

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »
When it looks down at Rubius you cannot help but feel as if he is looking at a mouse.
This line was strangely comforting to me because now I know that Rubius wasn't killed in my absence.

So, we're heading back to The Vale?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
This line was strangely comforting to me because now I know that Rubius wasn't killed in my absence.

So, we're heading back to The Vale?

We did spend a short time in the vale.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »

Grumbles something about desert elves being racist...

Arcanist

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
Parker looks around, "What am I, Kitty-litter? I'm not saying that I was integral to the 'victory' (everyone's sarcasm meter just spiked), but they never would have found the damn thing if not for me.  But, fine, whatever. 

[after everyone else stops talking]
Fine, yes, I'll help save the multiverse, again.  I'm..... I mean "we're".... going to need a few things though.  Those of us who need them should replace weapons with silver and or Holy ones.  Thaddeus and I need to make a quick stop back to Port Phiam to collect some things and to put certain affairs in order.  I have businesses to run after all.  Also, a Bag of Holding or two wouldn't hurt.  We should stock them with enough provisions to last us a good while, just in case anything goes wrong, which, let's face it, will definitely happen. 

Escalon, if you are finished with that sword from the other day, we could probably put it to good use where we're going.

Are you referring to Roland's katana? If so we returned it to him. It was not evil, but of limited use to one without his particular martial training.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »
Arcanist

Spits on the ground.. even worse!