Author Topic: End of an Abomination  (Read 2521 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
End of an Abomination
« on: November 03, 2020, 05:35:43 PM »
The neoillothid gives off perhaps the worst smell or combination of smells you have ever experienced. And then Parker and Varea start burning it.

Grimdrek recovers from the mind blast that had knocked him out. When he comes to he says: “Ack! Solaris my old friend see what has become of me!”  Solaris sees that Grimdrek is now a stout saurial, with a horned and bone crested head.

William examines the slime pool and shakes his head.

(If anyone would like to post a recap for Parker and more generally for Solaris that would be great)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: End of an Abomination
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
We tracked a horde of underdark dwellers from a dwarven town into the depths.  There was a room filled with oozes and skeletons which we raced through.  We fell into a trap that sent us through a web portal to a town that was known to our guide.  A neoillithid was there and we fought it.  Early in the fight Solaris arrived by the grace of Hemator to help us.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 09:16:21 AM »
The neoillothid gives off perhaps the worst smell or combination of smells you have ever experienced. And then Parker and Varea start burning it.

Grimdrek recovers from the mind blast that had knocked him out. When he comes to he says: “Ack! Solaris my old friend see what has become of me!”  Solaris sees that Grimdrek is now a stout saurial, with a horned and bone crested head.

William examines the slime pool and shakes his head.

(If anyone would like to post a recap for Parker and more generally for Solaris that would be great)

Wow that must be one wild story you have.  You will have to tell me more when we get out of here.  Where are we exactly?

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 09:29:26 PM »
So our way out is blocked by the neothlid carcass? Is the exit a tunnel or a portal?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 09:53:39 PM »
So our way out is blocked by the neothlid carcass? Is the exit a tunnel or a portal?

Varea comes over and also examines the well. “I suspect it’s a tunnel. There must be another way out but it could take days to find it. Otherwise . . . (she casts a glance at the beast’s maw) we have a very unpleasant crawl ahead of us.”

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 07:36:34 AM »
What’s the composition of the ground (soil, natural rock)?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 10:22:06 AM »
What’s the composition of the ground (soil, natural rock)?

Bedrock, some worked but mostly natural.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 11:52:20 AM »
If we set fire to the carcass, how long would it take to burn?  Just trying to get an estimate on how long it would take for about half of it to turn to ash so we could pass through the space its occupying. 

If that's not an option, Rubius could always go down the hole in gaseous form and scout out an exit or any breaches in the bedrock. 

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
If we set fire to the carcass, how long would it take to burn?  Just trying to get an estimate on how long it would take for about half of it to turn to ash so we could pass through the space its occupying. 

If that's not an option, Rubius could always go down the hole in gaseous form and scout out an exit or any breaches in the bedrock.

Just the part above the slime is hundreds of feet long. You could go into the slime in gaseous form but there’s no reason to believe that would protect you from its effects.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »
Just the part above the slime is hundreds of feet long. You could go into the slime in gaseous form but there’s no reason to believe that would protect you from its effects.
Fair enough.  I'll use my Investigator ability "Needle in a Haystack" to search for an exit.  Search check DC 20 for the mundane equivalent of Locate Object cast as a Wizard of total character levels.  I can do this 1x/day per Investigator level (7 times). 

1d20 (14)+30=44

Locate Object can find general items like exits and staircases.  I use the ability to find the nearest exit.  Range is 400ft + 40/lv.  Total range in all directions is 1240 ft.   

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 06:32:53 PM »
Fair enough.  I'll use my Investigator ability "Needle in a Haystack" to search for an exit.  Search check DC 20 for the mundane equivalent of Locate Object cast as a Wizard of total character levels.  I can do this 1x/day per Investigator level (7 times). 

1d20 (14)+30=44

Locate Object can find general items like exits and staircases.  I use the ability to find the nearest exit.  Range is 400ft + 40/lv.  Total range in all directions is 1240 ft.   

You find a few cracks in the walls of the chamber that you can reach and you deduce there are a few others higher up on the walls and ceiling. None are big enough for anything larger than a spider to crawl through. Some of them in fact are filled with webs.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
Remind me - slime causes catatonic state? Is it magical? Evil? Is it filling the tunnel like water or just coating the walls?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 09:18:47 PM »
Remind me - slime causes catatonic state? Is it magical? Evil? Is it filling the tunnel like water or just coating the walls?

It completely fills the well around the beast.

It causes complete loss of memory and identity. Reversing the process for the captives of Whitefalls  required Aezir’s assistance and considerable time.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 11:20:58 PM »
It completely fills the well around the beast.

It causes complete loss of memory and identity. Reversing the process for the captives of Whitefalls  required Aezir’s assistance and considerable time.
Navi sends an arcane eye down the well to investigate and relays information back to Ari in tinkling celestial.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 10:02:47 AM »
Navi sends an arcane eye down the well to investigate and relays information back to Ari in tinkling celestial.
Assuming you drop a lighted coin or similar into the slime, Navi sees through the eye that the bottom of the well is completely filled by the creature’s bulk. It is clearly a sculpted bowl/well, not a natural depression.