Author Topic: New Combat Domain  (Read 20181 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
New Combat Domain
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
I think we need to create a domain for combat.  Something that can be given to Falan for his swords, but that can also be given to other deities.  The idea is personal combat as opposed to War, which will be mass combat.

Thoughts?
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: New Combat Domain
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »
That might be good for Tyrogatore, Dedestroyt, Stasis, and Han-Sui.  Not sure what abilities to grant the characters as disciplines vary wildly from each other. 

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:13 PM »
Granted power: You gain a divine bonus to your attack rolls made with your deity's favored weapon equal to your Wisdom modifier.

1. Divine Favor
2. Alter Weapon (Magic of Habololy)
3. Keen Edge
4. Divine Power
5. Indomitability(SpC)
6. Heroism, Greater
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »

This could also work for TreeTop as a Combat (ranged)

Granted power: You gain a divine bonus to your attack rolls made with your deity's favored weapon equal to your Wisdom modifier.

1. Divine Favor
2. Alter Weapon (Magic of Habololy)
3. Keen Edge
4. Divine Power
5. Indomitability(SpC)
6. Heroism, Greater
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:55 PM »
Possibly this could be a ranged domain as well.

What about Magic Weapon instead of Divine Favor at first?

7th - Ironguard?
8th - Ironbody?
9th - Black blade of disaster?

all SC spells

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »
The ability might be a little powerful to have a permanent bonus to attack especially one that will likely be pretty large. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »
What about clerics levels count as fighter levels for the purpose of taking feats with the cleric's favored weapon.  Something also might need to be added.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
The ability might be a little powerful to have a permanent bonus to attack especially one that will likely be pretty large.

Remember, Cleric's aren't going to have the same number of attacks as a fighter.. so while it will be better then a Cleric's attack, it will not be as good as a fighter/ranger.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »
It would not be a bonus to BAB, just to hit.  Also, it would have to be the cleric's natural modifier, and could not include bonuses for spells or magic items.  That would cap the bonus realistically at +6, otherwise, it could get to +10 without much trouble.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
Also note, that there is currently a feat (not homemade), that replacements Dex modifier to hit with Wis modifier to hit for ranged attacks.  A cleric with this ability would not be able to use that feat as well.

Perhaps a better ability would be that the cleric is able to use Wisdom instead of Strength or Dexterity for attack rolls.  Then no cap on it would be necessary.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
There is a feat like that already exist in Exalted Deeds (Wis to attack bonus).  I think the abilities from Domains should be something that isn't similar to existing feats and makes them stand out.  I think a better ability would be to have them be able to do something cool with the Deities weapon of choice.  Maybe then can dazzle people with a weapon display that comes from divine power,  maybe they can true strike with it once a day against somebody who is doing something to hurt the faith.  I am sure there are betters ones then what I came up with but hopefully you get the idea.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »
Possibly this could be a ranged domain as well.

What about Magic Weapon instead of Divine Favor at first?

7th - Ironguard?
8th - Ironbody?
9th - Black blade of disaster?

all SC spells
Magic Weapon is in the "war" and "metal" domians, I was trying to be different with Divine Favor.

I considered all of those, but I think they are only good for melee and don't fit with ranged combat, if we're adding that to this domain.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:30:03 PM by Hero »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »
I need to start a War domain thread so we can work out exactly how we are changing that one.

That is true, since we want to make it a ranged as well, we should look for spells that can fit both.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
I like the idea of using Wis instead of Str or Dex with the deity's favored weapon in that it provides a way for a cleric to be immediately proficient in combat without casting a half a dozen spells. The feat to which Windblade is referring to only applies to simple and natural weapons, so Falan, Stasis, Dedestroyt would never use it.  I think it makes sense that as part of clerical training you would focus on the use of the favored weapon, and in some instances (Tyrogatore) it is a major part of religious practice. However, as Windblade pointed out, it is a little vanilla. Practical, but vanilla.

If you don't like that idea, how about something similar to the death domain's death touch ability? 1/day invoke the ability, roll to hit. If successful roll 1d6 per cleric level, if you exceed the target's hit points, it dies.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »
How about a "smite" like ability from your favorite weapon.  like +1D6 damange per 3 levels.. or something.  YOu can do it as many times per day as your wis modifier?

Although I like the weapon + to hit.  Most of the abilities are plain.