Author Topic: Power Points  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Power Points
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:09:56 PM »
My thought is five per level, plus a bonus equal to an ability modifier.  This would not be retroactive like constitution and hit points.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: Power Points
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 03:38:51 PM »
I would make the bonus a chart and base it on the ability score.  Similar to the ability score chart for additional spells.  I think that it is simpler then getting a bonus and not having it be retroactive. If someone lost their character or something then you would not be able to recreate their points.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 09:55:58 PM »
I would make the bonus a chart and base it on the ability score.  Similar to the ability score chart for additional spells.  I think that it is simpler then getting a bonus and not having it be retroactive. If someone lost their character or something then you would not be able to recreate their points.

It would not be different than Intelligence modifier and skill points.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
I would consider making a chart similar to the ability chart.  I don't think the skill point like bonus is as good.  It is much easier to have an ability chart when making new characters. Also if you lose a character sheet it is much easier to recreate more accurate power points with an ability chart.  Also, I often get interrupted when leveling and don't always remember if I added my skill points or not and it very difficulty to recreate accurately if you do what level you got your ability score increase.  I think the chart solves these problems and much simpler.  That being said not a huge deal either but I just think ability chart is a better system then skill point system.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:16:39 AM by Windblade »

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »
How are power points recovered? Is it X pp/day which are renewed daily after 8 hrs of rest? Or are we trying for something different?

I have a vague recollection that 2e had an hourly pp recovery rate.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »
How are power points recovered? Is it X pp/day which are renewed daily after 8 hrs of rest? Or are we trying for something different?

I have a vague recollection that 2e had an hourly pp recovery rate.

I would like to use a system that was hourly, but it has to be fair with spellcasters who don't.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »
Every time you take a discipline, you get a bonus number of power points equal to the ability modifier connected to that discipline.  This number will be retroactive, so that if your ability modifier increases, your power points will go up.

You will not get bonus points in levels where no discipline is gained (which may only be the case in the psychic warrior or other classes)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »
I would like to use a system that was hourly, but it has to be fair with spellcasters who don't.

How about for every hour you are psionically focused and not taking advantage of a concentration effect from a discipline, you gain 1 PSP?

Sleeping for eight hours gives you back 100% of your PSP.  For every hour less than eight slept, you gain 25% fewer.  So 4 hours or less is 0%; 5 hours is 25%; 6 hours is 50%, 7 hours is 75%, etc.