Author Topic: Disciplines  (Read 13721 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Disciplines
« on: February 16, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »
We will tackle the disciplines the same way we tackled the domains.  Each set will have a name.

We will use the powers from 3rd edition and supplement with new ones we feel we need, added in from 2nd edition or brand new (although I want to avoid that as much as possible).

Here is one example:

Third Eye Psionic Discipline

This discipline grants you the ability to open a third eye within your mind, allowing you to perceive things
that others miss.

Concentration: While concentrating on this discipline, you have blindsight with a radius of 10 feet.

Tremorsense (1): As a swift action, you gain tremorsense with a radius of 30 feet for 1 minute.

Unwavering Eye (1): As a swift action, you gain a +4 competency bonus on Wisdom checks (including saves and skills) for 1 minute.

Ubiquitous Vision (3): You have all-around vision.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:31:03 AM by Asinjin »
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: Disciplines
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
Are the numbers in parentheses representative of the number of power points needed to activate each ability?

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:17:56 PM »
We will have to determine how concentrating works in 3.5 because it is much different in 5th.  I think you can do a lot of things in 5th when concentrating on something where as in 3.5 it is an action.  Maybe we just make an initial concentration check and that abilities stays active until you have to concentrate on something else.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
Can you list the 2nd edition Disciplines so we can start putting forth some ideas.  Unless you just want to list one and we do one at a time.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »
Are the numbers in parentheses representative of the number of power points needed to activate each ability?

Yes

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 10:22:20 PM »
We will have to determine how concentrating works in 3.5 because it is much different in 5th.  I think you can do a lot of things in 5th when concentrating on something where as in 3.5 it is an action.  Maybe we just make an initial concentration check and that abilities stays active until you have to concentrate on something else.

My thought is that when you psionically focus (3rd ed mechanic); you can pick one discipline you have.  As long as you remain focused, you gain whatever the Concentration effect is and can use any of the powers in that discipline by using the listed point cost.  You do not lose the focus by using powers (although there are probably some where that will trigger) in the chosen discipline.  If you want to switch disciplines, you would have to refocus.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 10:49:10 PM »
Body of War Discipline

This discipline can make the psionic's body an instrument of battle.

Specialty: Psychometabolic

Ability: Constitution

Concentration: While concentrating on this discipline, you have damage reduction 1/-.

Body Weaponry (1): As a swift action, you turn one of your limbs into a light or one-handed weapon for 1 minute.  You are considered proficient in the weapon.  You cannot be disarmed, although your limb could be severed.  The weapon has the hardness of bone.

Graft Weapon (2): As a swift action, one light or one-handed weapon becomes part of your arm for 1 minute.  You attack with the weapon as if you were proficient in it.  Any special properties it had are still in effect.

Flesh Armor (6): As a swift action, you gain a +9 natural armor bonus for 1 minute.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:15:52 AM by Asinjin »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »
Recuperation Discipline

This discipline allows the psionic to repair the body in different ways.

Concentration: While concentrating on this discipline, you regenerate 1 hit point every 10 minutes.

Body Adjustment (2): As a swift action, you heal 1d12 damage.

Body Purification (3): As a move action, you restore 2 points of ability damage.

Restore Extremity (5): After spending time, you can regrow one of your appendages.  One minute for a digit.  Ten minutes for a hand or foot.  One house for a leg.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:16:00 AM by Asinjin »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 11:22:03 PM »
Communication Psionic Discipline

This discipline allows the psionic communicate with other mentally.

Specialty: Telepathic

Ability: Intelligence

Concentration: While concentrating on this discipline, you can forge a Mindlink with any one willing target.

Missive (1): As a swift action, send a ten word message in range.

Mass Missive (3): As a move action, send a twenty-five word message to anyone in range.

Correspond (4): Hold mental conversation with a creature at a distance.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:18:46 PM by Asinjin »

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »
Will power points be limited to manifester level like it is in 3rd edition?  For example, if you want to use the Flesh Armor ability, do you need to be at least 6th level since it costs 6 points?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »
Will power points be limited to manifester level like it is in 3rd edition?  For example, if you want to use the Flesh Armor ability, do you need to be at least 6th level since it costs 6 points?

I want to make the requirement only ability score based, not level.  I was thinking you need to have an ability score equal to at least 10+Power Point to be able to use the ability.  So Flesh Armor would require a 16 Con, but you could use it at 1st level (assuming 6 Power Points)

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 02:11:46 PM »
I want to make the requirement only ability score based, not level.  I was thinking you need to have an ability score equal to at least 10+Power Point to be able to use the ability.  So Flesh Armor would require a 16 Con, but you could use it at 1st level (assuming 6 Power Points)
Okay, I like that idea. 

What about augmentation and metapsionic?  Will those concepts transfer over?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 04:30:32 PM »
Okay, I like that idea. 

What about augmentation and metapsionic?  Will those concepts transfer over?

That is more how it was in 2nd edition, where a 1st level psion could do one amazing thing, and then be spent for the day.

Metapsionic yes, but I will have to review the list to see if any would no longer work.

Augmentation I am not sure.  I don't think that existed in 2nd edition (they had the equivalent of critical hits to enhance the powers).  It also doesn't appear as if the exist in 5th edition.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 09:19:30 PM »
Other Forms Psionic Discipline

This discipline allows the psionic to alter his body to resemble and animal in some or every way.

Concentration: While concentrating on this discipline, one physical ability score is increased by 4.  The ability score is picked when activated and may not be changed during the concentration.  This is a natural increase and not an enhancement of any type.

Ectoplasmic Form (3): You gain benefits of being insubstantial and can fly slowly.

Metamorphosis (4): Assume shape of creature or object.

Metamorphosis, Greater (9): Assume shape of any non-unique creature or object each round.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »
Hidden Mind, Greater Psionic Discipline

This discipline allows the psionic to conceal his mind or the mind of others.

Specialty: Telepathy

Ability: Intelligence

????

????

Mind Blank, Personal (7): You are immune to scrying and mental effects.

Mind Blank, Psionic (8): Subject immune to mental/emotional effects, scrying, and remote viewing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 01:48:51 PM by Asinjin »