Author Topic: So what exactly is white necromancy?  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Hero

• View Profile
So what exactly is white necromancy?
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »
Zunder brought up the lack of representation of white necromancy in Falan's portfolio. The disciple of falan is supposed to cover that, but I'm not so sure it does.

What is it we want white necromancy to do? Healing magic? What is it's relationship to the undead?

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
Re: So what exactly is white necromancy?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »
it was "true necromancer"  and the white part would just be good. There is an example in one of the book. 

Wish I new more about Falan we could tweak the DoF

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »
I just wanted to say I do agree with you.  I brought this up with DM when I was reviewing prestige but he didn't seem interested in having a regular necromancer(white or dark) but I can't remember why.  Maybe he will let us know.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:40 AM »
I thought the DoF filled that role.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
I just wanted to say I do agree with you.  I brought this up with DM when I was reviewing prestige but he didn't seem interested in having a regular necromancer(white or dark) but I can't remember why.  Maybe he will let us know.

White/Dark i think would be more on what you do with the talents, not specific classes.  So i think a "True Necormancer" would do it?

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:25 PM »
I thought the DoF filled that role.

I think what everyone is saying is that the DoF doesn't fill that role very well because if I remember correctly it includes other aspects of Falan that aren't necromancy.  So the "true necromancer" who is purely magic and undead focused is missing.  We discussed this before when we went over prestige classes but you didn't seem too concerned that we didn't fill that role.   Although I disagree because Necromancers are a part of Habololy tradition and they have been some powerful & prominent enemies.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »
So isn't the "true necromancer" big into undead? How can you have a good necromancer when, by the rules, the act of creating undead is inherently evil...all the undead creation spells have the evil descriptor, so they can only be cast by someone neutral or evil.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
So isn't the "true necromancer" big into undead? How can you have a good necromancer when, by the rules, the act of creating undead is inherently evil...all the undead creation spells have the evil descriptor, so they can only be cast by someone neutral or evil.

The undead are just a tool :)  but no seriously.   A True Necromancer could be into Control (evil guys undead) and Destruction of undead like Harrick, rather then creation.  Also a true necromancer knows how to alter, enhance, and channel life forces.  Which is the part of a necromancer people forget.  They used to be able to pull their own life force to power spells.   

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:48:19 PM by Zunder »

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:17:14 AM »

I think 2 topics have developed here.  What is white necromancy which we haven't totally answered yet and the need for a necromancer class on habololy.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:56:32 AM »
I think 2 topics have developed here.  What is white necromancy which we haven't totally answered yet and the need for a necromancer class on habololy.

I think I answered what a white necromancer is.  Someone who controls/destroy undead.  And someone who can alter/modify the life force of others without draining levels permanently, or feeding off if.

and I believe there needs to be a necromancer, as they are party of the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »
I think  the white necromancer in 2nd Ed. on Habololy was basically someone who used healing magic, resurrection magic, and positive energy magic.  Basically similar to a priest except they used arcane magic to complete these task.    I think in 2E habololy life and death were seen as a continuum and the White Necromancer practiced the healing side of necromantic magic and the necromancer practice the side we traditionally picture as a necromancer.    I think this stemmed from the fact that healing and resurrection spells were classified as necromantic magic in 2E.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
Why can't the Necromancer just be a Wizard with the Necromantic specialty?  There are plenty of feats to supplement and augment them from there without the need of a prestige class.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »
I think then it misses the divine magic that is associate with a True Necromancer.     I think I can come up with some changes to the DoF that might help to solve the problem.  We can address that whenever though because I know Domains are the priority right now.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »
I think  the white necromancer in 2nd Ed. on Habololy was basically someone who used healing magic, resurrection magic, and positive energy magic.  Basically similar to a priest except they used arcane magic to complete these task.    I think in 2E habololy life and death were seen as a continuum and the White Necromancer practiced the healing side of necromantic magic and the necromancer practice the side we traditionally picture as a necromancer.    I think this stemmed from the fact that healing and resurrection spells were classified as necromantic magic in 2E.

This is an excellent description.  To a certain extent the white necromancer is a medical dr.  Dr. Frankenstein would be an example of someone trying to use necromancy to a good purpose.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:22:08 PM by whitesword »