Author Topic: Diplomacy Over Assault  (Read 9676 times)

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: Diplomacy Over Assault
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 07:35:48 PM »
xp for a Valdis recap.
After defeating the remaining pirates on the boat and on shore, we gathered up their belongings, interrogated some, assigned some to man the ship back to port, and put the rest in the brig.  It was determined that the captain, a sorcerer, and an elite marksman were among the 20 crew at the fort.

Nathan used the crown to fly over to the fort and speak to one of the giant guards.  He had one of the crew cast Tongues on him first.  The giant didn't attack on sight after hearing Nathan speaking perfect giantish.  He convinced the guard to get his leader in order to parlay.  The leader met with him and Nathan offered to help them get rid of the Horarians who were trying to sway them to a cult.  Seeing Nathan's resolve and hearing his perfect giantish went over well as a sign of respect.  Seeing they were hungry, Nathan promised food for payment for the privilege of speaking with the leader and valuables as payment for meeting again to discuss Lakius and the removal of the Horarians.  The leader accepted the terms and Nathan returned to the boat.  They decided a sneak attack at night while the Horarians slept would be best.  The leader said we would only need to take out the guards and he would drug the rest while they slept.

With the plan a go, Nathan met with the officers to discuss the details of our away teams.  We sent the Fey and Ritvali to dispatch the guards and the rest of us went to meet up with them afterwards.  We took a warrior from our crew who spoke barbarian and Thermon as his protector.  Veronika was nice enough to sew him a red shirt for the occasion.  We buffed everyone once we reached the top of the cliff and proceeded to the fort. 

Once we received the agreed upon signal from the giants (a lit torch), we made our way over.  Ritvali and the Fey made short work of the guards and everyone else surrendered after groggily waking to their leaders being knocked out.  Only the captain was killed.

We gathered their items, gave metal and coin to the giants, and successfully convinced the giants to look into the blessings of Lakius.  They were impressed by our might and agreed to have us back to the island whenever we want.

We then headed back to our ship and talked to the prisoners about their fate.  They could peacefully man the captive ship back to the Destroytian Republic under our supervision and we would spare them being reported to the authorities, or they could remain in the brig and be released to their custody as prisoners of war.  To no one's surprise, we suddenly had dozens of volunteers to man the ship.  Our crew interrogated them and tested their allegiance before determining who was safe and who remained locked up.

We plan on sailing back to the Destroytian Republic since we're allied with them.  There we'll sell the ship.  It should fetch 60k or more.  Between that and the magic items we confiscated, we'll make payroll for our crew and officers for years.

After that, we plan on tackling the eel folk and the dragon in no particular order.

On a side note, Camile is utterly disgusted with Chase and his Bardic style.  She's none too pleased with Veronika's shenanigans either.  She laid out an ultimatum to Nathan that consists of her or Chase.  She refuses to go any further with me on board.  Nathan is soul searching for the right answer in this dilemma.  That's where we left off.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:38:11 PM by Malchia »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
50 xp, nice work
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »
Amari suggests putting 15 of the new 'crew' on the Guardian and the remainder on their own ship.

"Rin will have to captain the Servant, as I will remain captain on the Guardian.  Nathan will have to stay here near the crown.  Chase will go to the Servant, that will keep him separated from Camile.  Valdis and our eight Vass crew will go over there as well.  I want to not send any of our human or Horarian crew over to the servant.  Able Seamn Zelek is human, but I will make an exception to have a cleric of Lakius on that ship.  So that's twelve of ours along with twenty two of theirs.  Any comments?"

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 07:39:35 PM »
xp for a Valdis recap.

Hero, can you post the list of magic items you still have and how many I still have to describe?
Loot acquired:
  • Ship - Servant of Dark Seas (~60,000 gc)
  • Six 6-lb cannon
  • Knockout gas canisters for cannon (qty ?)
  • Necklace of Pearl Armor - +6 AC (armor bonus), force effect, no armor check penalty, no max dex limit, requires heavy armor proficiency, resizes to fit wearer
  • Cutlass with fist-shaped basket hilt - forceful charge effect to knock opponent off ship
  • Dagger+1 (or +2)
  • Crossbow+1 (or +2)
  • Case of 30 magical crossbow bolts
  • Wind Fan - generates wind to fill 1 sail, exhausts user
  • Wand of Hold Person
  • Wand of Cure Light Wounds
  • Bracers of Armor
  • Ring
  • Fishhook of Bountiful Bait (given to giants)
  • 6 potions (given to giants)
  • Item #1 from fortress
  • Item #2 from fortress
  • Item #3 from fortress
  • Item #4 from fortress
  • Item #5 from fortress
  • Item #6 from fortress
  • Item #7 from fortress
  • Item #8 from fortress
  • Item #9 from fortress
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:45:30 PM by Hero »

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
Three week to do list:
- Sas question the dead
This should be done before we leave the island. The request is harder to resist when performed closer to the place of death.

Will save DC 24 (unless the captain was a cleric or particularly devout, in which case it's DC 20).

5 questions. Suggestions?

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »
Rin chats with the crew, wanting them to make a knowledge sailor / history / warfare roll.  On our path, are there any battles/conflicts that might cause a higher number of wreckage on the ocean floor?  Salvage operations!  I offer a cut of the salvage to anyone who leads me to a find!
Sounds an awful lot like something a fateful servant of the Collector might suggest...you sure you're not converting?

Taiji suggests checking Dedestroytian naval records when we arrive there. They probably keep all kinds of records detailing the specifics of their confrontations.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 09:06:36 PM »
Loot acquired:
  • Ship - Servant of Dark Seas (~60,000 gc)
  • Six 6-lb cannon
  • Knockout gas canisters for cannon (qty ?)
    The cannon are included with the ship price, but the canisters aren't.[/list][/list]

Offline Asinjin

• DM
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Habololy
    « Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 09:15:39 PM »
    The nine items from the fortress captured crew are:

1. Scroll with arcane spells; 3 spells
    2. 2nd scroll with arcane spells; 4 spells
    3. Dagger, no schooled enchantment, minor
    4. Potion of Healing
    5. Potion of Cat's Grace (Guilbert makes check to determine)
    6. Magic corked bottle, conjuration, minor
    7. Ring, transmutation, minor
    8. Bracers, abjuration, minor
    9. Medium sized pouch, conjuration, minor

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • no one is youer then you
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »
    Sounds an awful lot like something a fateful servant of the Collector might suggest...you sure you're not converting?

Taiji suggests checking Dedestroytian naval records when we arrive there. They probably keep all kinds of records detailing the specifics of their confrontations.

I'm getting resources to extend my fight against the evil.  Though.. having capital is.. intoxicating
    « Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:08:13 PM by Zunder »

Offline Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »
    Navigating from the republic, are the eelmen or dragon closer.  Where we go next will have a huge impact on the ship's mage position.
    Ssaskra: "I ssssussspect that Dark Sssseasss will be difficult for usss to...locate. But if we deal with the Retsssunagi, I would exssssspect he would come looking for ussss."

Offline Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »
    -- Veronkia asks to be part of the interrogation of the living.  She prefers to be right before whomever is the hardest interrogation, or after.  Playing the "good cop" to someone  bad cop.  Her.. gentile touch, and exceptional .... charisma should have some of them talking.  She will wear something like a Gesha without the face paint, but a form fitting traditional dress from their homeland. Carefully rolling a dagger in my fingers as I chat.. letting them know there is some danger there.
    Taiji suggests Veronika conduct a practice interrogation first, and is quick to volunteer his help as the subject.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »

Before all of this Sas, Rin, and Amari should meet to discuss Chase vs Camila.
    Ssaskra does not want to lose Camille since she is apparently very skilled and has connections that we've already benefited from, but we cannot set a precedent of giving in to demands based on personal opinions of the crew. Chase has not done anything wrong, and there is nothing inherently evil in his methods. We should not have to adapt existing conditions to make one person more comfortable.

If we are of the same opinion, Ssaskra can try his diplomancy skills on Camille to try to convince her to stay.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
    The nine items from the fortress captured crew are:

1. Scroll with arcane spells; 3 spells
    2. 2nd scroll with arcane spells; 4 spells
    3. Dagger, no schooled enchantment, minor
    4. Potion of Healing
    5. Potion of Cat's Grace (Guilbert makes check to determine)
    6. Magic corked bottle, conjuration, minor
    7. Ring, transmutation, minor
    8. Bracers, abjuration, minor
    9. Medium sized pouch, conjuration, minor
    Taiji suggests that all potions, wands, and scrolls go into the Guardian's armory.

Can we identify the scroll spells?

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
    Taiji suggests that all potions, wands, and scrolls go into the Guardian's armory.

Can we identify the scroll spells?

I agree that they should go to armory but first we need to decide if any of them were used as payment for the crew.  We still need to workout how we are paying the Ship's mage, the prelate, the master of the forecastle etc.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Habololy
    « Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »
    To start with, xp for the last two sessions:

Veronica - for her flirting - 50xp

Kasai - for trying to get into the action - 100xp

Wake - for a couple shots of the bow - 200xp

Taiji - for eagerness - 100xp

Nathan - for lots of uses of you all powerful spells and crown of air - 2800xp

Rin - for catching some big fish - 1250xp

Sas - for a few out of body experiences - 3200xp

Chase - for inspiring terror throughout the ship and buffing bard spells - 4000xp

After consideration, I am going to award another 80xp per level for each of the four primary characters.  It occurs to me that I was somewhat penalizing you for not fighting (seeing as how had you killed all of the giants, by my earlier calculation you would have gotten more.