House Rules > Massive Damage

Massive Damage

(1/4) > >>

Asinjin:
Let's discuss.

Valdis:
Can you summarize the current set of rules?

Asinjin:
If a medium sized creature takes 40 or more points of damage from one physical attack, the creature must make a DC15 Fortitude saving throw or die.  For every five points over 40, the save increase by 1.  So a medium sized creature that takes 100 hit points from one attack must make a DC27 Fortitude saving throw.  For every size category larger than medium, the amount of damage required to cause a massive damage save is increased by 10.  It is reduced by 10 for every size category smaller than medium, to a minimum of 20 points of damage.

Valdis:
Ok, well, I had this long drawn-out explanation about how it's pretty ridiculous that a 5th level character with a Greatsword, power attack, and leap attack can cause up to Gargantuan sized creatures to make a massive Damage save on a critical hit (it is referred to as 'Koth-ing' and/or 'Acyll-ing' in the rest of this post).  Koth-ing will do between 11.8% and 36% of a Gargantuan creatures total hit points worth of damage.  I was ok with 33+% of your total Hit Points causing a massive damage save, but 12%, not so much.  It would be like dying because someone shot you in the ass with a b-b gun.

Then I though about it some more.  What about a blanket 50% of your hp forces the save?  Sounds, ok.  But in practice, you'd be making those saves left and right, especially at lower levels.  a 5th level fighter has an average of 30 hit points, so every time he takes more than 15 points of damage from an attack he would have to make a save.  That's a pretty low threshold, especially when his fotitude bonus is only +4.

I think that the rule is fine the way it is, but maybe add a bonus to the saving throw if the total damage done, that causes the save, is less than 50% of your total hit points

Zunder:
Considering I've lost 3 characters to this rule, it's stupid and should be taken out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version