Author Topic: How Should We Play It  (Read 7044 times)

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: How Should We Play It
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 11:53:09 PM »
I don’t think negative levels should kill you unless they reduce your level to 0 or less.

This shouldn’t be an issue if you use the average hp reduction I proposed and round down. You should hit level 0 before hp are reduced to 0.

For instance, Natsu is 9th level and has 30 hp, so average hp/level = 3.33, or 3 when you round down. If he takes 8 negative levels, he will be at 6 hp and level 1. If he takes 1 more negative level he drops to level 0 and dies.

I think this removes the scenario of negative levels dropping you to 0 hp but not to level 0.
I think the issue is when you lose levels after you've already lost HP.  The HP formula you proposed is a good one, but in Saladien's case, he lost 3 levels when he was at negative HP which reduced him below -10.  Does he die, does he turn into a wight or wraith, does he simply fall unconscious?  The outcome of this discussion will determine whether Windblade needs a new character next week.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »
And just to reiterate I am more interested in the rule going forward then in whether Saladien lives.  I just don't want anyone to think this is to save Saladien.  There are two scenarios that are worked out already in regards to this situation. One in which he lives and one he which he dies.  The one where he dies might be even more interesting to me then the one where he lives but I am happy with either outcome.  That being said, this is more about keeping the feel of Habololy that I have been playing in for the last 25 years and sometimes that means replicating some second edition ideas.  So I personally don't care how the HP is figured out but I am more interested in what happens when you take damage from the spell.  I would like to have level drain kill a character only if they get reduced to zero level from the drain.  Level drain HP reduction should only happen because your level lowered but this should never be the direct cause of death (or even unconsciousness)  So what ever HP reduction rule we decide then HP reduction should only take you to your max HP.  For example if you are at 60/60 and you you lose 20 max HP then you should be reduced to 40/40.  If the same character is at 35/60 and take damage from the same spell and lose 20 max HP then he should be at 35/40.  So the way I see it is that you only take damage if you are above the new max HP after the spell resolves.   The level drain should only lower your max HP and not actually do damage.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 01:40:24 AM »
I think the issue is when you lose levels after you've already lost HP.  The HP formula you proposed is a good one, but in Saladien's case, he lost 3 levels when he was at negative HP which reduced him below -10.  Does he die, does he turn into a wight or wraith, does he simply fall unconscious?  The outcome of this discussion will determine whether Windblade needs a new character next week.

Yes that is the issue at the heart of this.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »
So the way I see it is that you only take damage if you are above the new max HP after the spell resolves.   The level drain should only lower your max HP and not actually do damage.

This is what I was proposing.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
This is what I was proposing.

Yeah I see that but I just wanted to clarify what happens if you have lost some HP already.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »
Right now, we are looking at changing the rules so that you lose max hp/level for each negative level.  If you reach 0 levels, you die.  This lose comes off the top of your hp, and you only lose current hp if your new max drops below your current total.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »
Right now, we are looking at changing the rules so that you lose max hp/level for each negative level.  If you reach 0 levels, you die.  This lose comes off the top of your hp, and you only lose current hp if your new max drops below your current total.
In this scenario, Saladien is still alive and doesn't need to make a new character...at least not yet.  If this fight continues the way its been going, we may all be writing up new characters.

Haas, are you sure you want us to activate that token and summon you here?

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
Haas, are you sure you want us to activate that token and summon you here?

He doesn't have a choice does he :P

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »

He doesn't have a choice does he :P
Excellent point.  Who has this token in their possession? 

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
we've got our streams crossed!!!!!

Take this back to the correct thread!

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:07 PM »
Do you mean average hp/level rather than max?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
Yes average

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 11:15:48 AM »
So final statement:

• You lose your average HP per level for your classes
  • -x to saves
  • -x to attacks (doesn't effect number of attacks)
  • -x to skill checks
  • looses spell / power at highest slot
  • slain if looses more levels then you have.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:17:31 AM by Zunder »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 11:24:14 AM »
So final statement:

• You lose your average HP per level for your classes
  • -x to saves
  • -x to attacks (doesn't effect number of attacks)
  • -x to skill checks
  • looses spell / power at highest slot
  • slain if looses more levels then you have.

-x to ability checks

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
If you lose levels and manage to overcome an encounter, do you gain XP as a lower level character or is the XP still calculated based on your pre-drain levels?