Author Topic: Animal Companion  (Read 677 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Animal Companion
« on: December 09, 2022, 09:11:07 AM »
Let's take the animal companion discussion here.

I am not in the camp of its underpowered, or at least I don't care that it is if it is.

However, if everyone agrees it needs an upgrade, then that's fine.  Sound off or your opinion and let's get a count.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: Animal Companion
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 09:59:42 AM »
Okay, I vote for changing the Animal Companion for all Rangers to the Druid chart.   

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 10:38:49 AM »
I guess where do you stop.  Do you try to fix all clases that could use a little more?  Just outlaw Bards as Masochistic.

I would be in favor of this small tweak, but I always liked Rangers ( even though it's like banging your head against a wall )

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 06:33:37 PM »
I like the idea of making animal companions follow the druid progression.

For a class that’s specifically combat oriented, often melee, the current progression of half ranger level makes the companion very fragile compared to the ranger. They are practically disposable.

Under current rules, a 10th level ranger has a companion as a 5th level druid: +2HD, +2 AC,+1 Str/Dex

A 20th level ranger has a companion as a 10th level druid: +6HD, +6 AC,+3 Str/Dex

Sticking with the basic companion options, you could have a 4 HD wolf at 10th (26 hp) and a 8 HD wolf at 20th (52 hp). Not likely to be around for long at those levels.

Under the proposed change, the wolf at 10th level now has 8 HD, and 14 HD at 20th. Much more sustainable.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 12:44:43 PM »
I like the change.