Author Topic: Campaign Option: The Border town of Argentum  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
Campaign Option: The Border town of Argentum
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
The Lord of Barconrall has had the pleasure of ruling over one of the more unique cities in the kingdom.  Built on an extinct volcano this city thrives while others stagnate.  As the most diverse city in the empire he’s had to endure some of the most unique problems of any of the royal family, including a excessively heavy tax, much higher than any other city.  Of course he wasn’t assigned this post by accident. 
The kingdom is strong, but the king is old and his power is waning. Smelling proverbial blood in the water, the game of thrones is on.  However, this is the dwarves and not some far off blood thirsty land.  Everyone is pushing to expand their sphere of influence via any means possible! Nothing underhanded just gamesmanship and strategic planning.
One of southern border towns that sits between the mountains and the forests known has Argentum.  It has long been presided over by a spellmason of significant power named Klayburne for as long as anyone can be remember.  In the larger scheme of things, a modest town of 3,500 with a significant wizard has not attracted much attention.  History shows the Argentum Is proven to be very profitable, and flush in mining and trade.  It also sits as a termination point of several long underground routes from other towns and cities.
With an eye to gaining influence and power, the Lord of Bacorall has decided to send an envoy to this town to see how open they are to being part of his plans.  The leader chosen for this envoy is Edwin Blackbattle.  A most curious choice, but he’s been loyal to the Lord.  Many refuse to go anywhere lead by a Blackbattle, some think twice, some go purely for the money.
As Edwin’s group arrives in the town he is greeted with a town in mourning.  On a funeral pyre on the banks of the nearby lake is Klayburne himself being consumed by flames.  The crowd gathered is quiet and mournful, but much much larger than expected.  Some 7,000 beings are gathered on the banks in dutiful respect.  Visible across the river from the town proper was another thriving town, or maybe part of Argentum?  The “other” town sits astride a 1000’ foot tall, 25’ wide staircase that rises up to a visible glow of daylight.  While the group of new-comers stand perplexed.  A gout of flame erupts from a window in a massive stalactite that hangs near the wall of the original town.  The fire coalesces into a small elemental and it tears across the cavern up out towards daylight.  The stalactite has several more windows spiralling up it’s length, several of them showing makes from flames..
     A dwarf approaches greeting the party.  “ So glad you are here, we could really use some help!  Ever since Klayburne has passed, weird things have been happening…

You can be from the town, or the part.  ~3rd level.   Anything from the string mountains allowed.  Special cases might be acceptable.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:53:41 AM by Zunder »

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: Campaign Option: The Border town of Argentum
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
So...there's a stairway to heaven?  I like it.  We should all be Bard's of different disciplines and we could come into the town as a traveling band: "Led Gremlin."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »
I am torn.  I like both.  Anyone have strong feelings one way or the other?
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:04:22 PM »
I am torn.  I like both.  Anyone have strong feelings one way or the other?
This one sounds fun, but I think I've decided on a character choice that would be interchangeable in either scenario, so it doesn't really matter. 

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »
I had a fun idea (and name) for a Gree character, but this scenerio sounds fun.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
I had a fun idea (and name) for a Gree character, but this scenerio sounds fun.
Gree are from the mountain region, so you could still use your original character choice in this scenario.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
yes, I would allow a Gree in the dwarven campaign. But not more then 1 PC