Author Topic: Crafter feat  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Crafter feat
« on: June 01, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
This has been on my list of things to post for awhile. Came up while generating all of Finn's crafter followers.

In line with all of those feats that give a bonus to 2 skills (such as Stealthy or Investigator):

Subject Matter Expert

You are en expert in your chosen field.

Prereq: Int 13+

Benefit: Select two Craft, Profession, Knowledge, or Perform skills that share a common theme, such as Knowledge(Nature) and Profession(Farmer), or Craft(Composer) and Perform(Sing). You receive a +2 bonus on all checks related to the two selected skills.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Re: Crafter feat
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
Also, what do you think about making the 2 skills class skills? Not just for this proposed feat, but for all +2/+2 skill boosting feats.

I've always found it odd that the d20 feats like Stealthy only grant a +2 bonus to 2 skills, but you dot actually get access to those skills unless your class offers it. So I can make a "stealthy" fighter with the feat of the same name, but not have any ranks in Hide or Move Silently. Strange.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
This has been on my list of things to post for awhile. Came up while generating all of Finn's crafter followers.

In line with all of those feats that give a bonus to 2 skills (such as Stealthy or Investigator):

Subject Matter Expert

You are en expert in your chosen field.

Prereq: Int 13+

Benefit: Select two Craft, Profession, Knowledge, or Perform skills that share a common theme, such as Knowledge(Nature) and Profession(Farmer), or Craft(Composer) and Perform(Sing). You receive a +2 bonus on all checks related to the two selected skills.

So this feat would 'create' a synergy bonus.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »
Also, what do you think about making the 2 skills class skills? Not just for this proposed feat, but for all +2/+2 skill boosting feats.

I've always found it odd that the d20 feats like Stealthy only grant a +2 bonus to 2 skills, but you dot actually get access to those skills unless your class offers it. So I can make a "stealthy" fighter with the feat of the same name, but not have any ranks in Hide or Move Silently. Strange.
I, too, have thought this is odd.  Same goes for racial modifiers.  Some races get modifiers to skills, but they're not all class skills.  there seems to be a mix of some races that get bonuses and also get those same skills as class skills, while others simply get bonuses and not the class skill to go with it.   

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
So this feat would 'create' a synergy bonus.
In the non-D&D sense of the word, yes. Much like Stealthy plays off the synergy between Hide and Move Silently. But it is not technically a "synergy" bonus.

There are lots of other examples you can find in the SRD: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Animal Affinity, Athletic, Deceiptful, Diligent,...