Author Topic: Epilogue/Prologue  (Read 27589 times)

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
Epilogue/Prologue
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »

A week passes. The Icefian fall seems as if it will give way to winter with little resistance. The wind blasts the city with nearly frozen sea air in the mornings and as the sun sets often turns and howls from the north.  The ship captains are thrilled with the weather as they hope to make one more run before the ice moves to cut the sea lanes. Many in the city, however, seek shelter earlier than one would expect in the dusk.  The north wind has a foul feel and seems to bite more deeply than it should.

The residents of the city, at least those that have lived there since before the blockade was lifted, react quickly to the events outside the temple. The followers of Han Sui and Gruweas set a watch around their temples and patrol the areas inhabited by their followers. For the small minority faiths, and cults, they look to the followers of Tfop and Stasis for protection. 

Rumors of the events inside the temple race through the city and are further reinforced by the arrival of a steady procession of Falan's clerics. The clerics mostly come from the cities and towns of Icefia, with a few ship chaplains added to their number.  Nearly all of the clerics have a dazed look about them when they arrive. Most make their way directly to the temple regardless of what time they arrive or how long their journey had been. A few linger in the city for a day, seeming reluctant to trek up to the temple.

At the end of the week, with no word from either Wilar or the Marshal, the first of those clerics that arrived depart from the Temple. Most seem elated and book passage out of the city with no regard for cost. A few others leave with the same dazed look they wore when they entered. Fewer exit than have entered in the first week and new rumors spread of dark rituals being performed within.

Kerkley is advised of these things and asked by Adux to return to the city to advise Ari after five days.  The Vale seems more tense than usual. Tania, Acure and Cynias Curath are always seen together and only for the midday meal.  Weapons instruction is handled by the senior bladelords rather than Cynias, which Kerkley and Rubius have not seen in their time there.

On the eighth day, Ari, Shaar and Kerkley return to the temple of Tfop to find Wilar Tel'cu waiting in the warmth of the fireplace. Ari and Shaar have seen more than a few Sakor'Aki in their lives. Most keep their wings pinned back completely. A few, like the Marshal, wrap their wings around themselves like a cloak. Wilar is the only one you can recall who keeps his partially unfurled at all times, making his tall, slim frame appear much larger.  Wilar's wings appear like tough leather, rather than a supple membrane, and are crisscrossed with scars and healed punctures. His light green scales have a muted quality and his dark scales resemble thousands of forest green emeralds. His war mask is adamantium, engraved with a detailed battle scene. His white sword, a cross between a great scimitar and a bastard sword, is sheathed between his wings.

"May I sit my lord?"

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Re: Epilogue/Prologue
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »
So how did the Marshal and the General convince Ari to leave the Temple of Falan without the majority of the religion in handcuffs? That is not something I would tolerate without a very good reason. I do believe that as a knight of the Kingdom, I have the authority to make arrests on my own. Which I would certainly do if the bureaucrats got in the way of justice/retribution.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:12:26 PM by Hero »

Online Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 05:25:25 PM »
So how didi the Marshal and the General convince Ari to leave the Temple of Falan without the majority of the religion in handcuffs? That is not something I would tolerate without a very good reason. I do believe that as a knight of the Kingdom, I have the authority to make arrests on my own. Which I would certainly do if the bureaucrats got in the way of justice/retribution.

Asinjin was waiting with bated breath for that to happen.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
So how did the Marshal and the General convince Ari to leave the Temple of Falan without the majority of the religion in handcuffs? That is not something I would tolerate without a very good reason. I do believe that as a knight of the Kingdom, I have the authority to make arrests on my own. Which I would certainly do if the bureaucrats got in the way of justice/retribution.

At the conclusion of the last thread it appeared as if you gave Wilar and the Marshal instruction to investigate?  Clearly that wasn't going to happen in minutes.

No one has the ability to make an arrest in a temple without a warrant.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
Shaar writes out a lengthy letter and has it delivered to her diplomat.

She stands by Ari at the ready as her code dictates... but has a pretty short attitude with the clerics of Falan and this disgraceful display.  Asking Ari.. " Lord Governer.. I have no official capacity in Icefiea, but I would be happy to "  and she pauses.. "  pacify some of those clerics for you for investigation. Creating such a display and endangering others would be treated much more harshly from where I am from"

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
At the conclusion of the last thread it appeared as if you gave Wilar and the Marshal instruction to investigate?  Clearly that wasn't going to happen in minutes.

No one has the ability to make an arrest in a temple without a warrant.
Instruction was to arrest, not to investigate. These clerics committed multiple felonies in my presence that put the safety of everyone in the city at risk. That's worthy of a warrantless arrest, I'd say.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 11:10:20 PM »
Instruction was to arrest, not to investigate. These clerics committed multiple felonies in my presence that put the safety of everyone in the city at risk. That's worthy of a warrantless arrest, I'd say.

Take a look at the two posts immediately preceding the last.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »
Here's my solution.

If I'm not officially permitted to immediately arrest anyone, I put the Temple of Falan on lockdown. No one goes in except on official business as determined by me. It is a crime scene, after all, and we can't have the suspects tampering with the evidence. Astrek and I man the gates personally. I don't need to sleep much. When I do, it's at the Temple to Falan and I get Shaar to cover the door.

If the displaced clerics need temporary living quarters, perhaps the constables could provide interim housing until the investigation is concluded?

Accused clerics (we collected names and descriptions) are not permitted to leave the city. They are conditionally released with instructions to report back no later than noon every day to Ari at the Temple of Falan (since I'll be on guard duty). Violators will be considered fugitives.

I continuously pester the Marshal and the General about the status of their investigation.

I don't ask permission to do any of this.

Anyone who knows Ari can tell he's not his normal, happy-go-lucky self. He is clearly obsessed and likely on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Online Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:10:34 AM »
Asinjin, who generally likes Ari more than most (Rubius is first on his list), likes this Ari even more.  I stay with him despite my revulsion at the climate and use all spells at my disposal to assist this endeavor.

Note that Kerkly and Benlin do not help and are not here for this.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:25:21 AM »
Here's my solution.

If I'm not officially permitted to immediately arrest anyone, I put the Temple of Falan on lockdown. No one goes in except on official business as determined by me. It is a crime scene, after all, and we can't have the suspects tampering with the evidence. Astrek and I man the gates personally. I don't need to sleep much. When I do, it's at the Temple to Falan and I get Shaar to cover the door.

If the displaced clerics need temporary living quarters, perhaps the constables could provide interim housing until the investigation is concluded?

Accused clerics (we collected names and descriptions) are not permitted to leave the city. They are conditionally released with instructions to report back no later than noon every day to Ari at the Temple of Falan (since I'll be on guard duty). Violators will be considered fugitives.

I continuously pester the Marshal and the General about the status of their investigation.

I don't ask permission to do any of this.

Anyone who knows Ari can tell he's not his normal, happy-go-lucky self. He is clearly obsessed and likely on the verge of a mental breakdown.
The Marshal and general agree that this is a good plan.  There doesn't appear to be a need for you or anyone else to stand guard as no one tries to leave the Temple.  It goes without a hitch for three days until the first dazed clerics start showing up. Do you give permission for them to enter after their names are taken?

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »
I wasn't clear. I evacuate the Temple and don't let anyone in until the investigation is complete.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 10:41:46 PM »
I wasn't clear. I evacuate the Temple and don't let anyone in until the investigation is complete.

Do you try to evacuate the temple before the marshal and general arrive?

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 10:48:17 PM »
No, this is all petty retaliation in response to me being told I can't arrest anyone.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »
No, this is all petty retaliation in response to me being told I can't arrest anyone.

Ok.  I'm unclear how to proceed at this point

Online Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
Perhaps you two can have a conversation tonight to clear this up, or sometime between now and when the season begins in three weeks.